What’s in your pocket?

cwarnar

16 minutes ago, Znowleopard said:

I would say stay away from the Apple ecosystem, go for the OnePlus Or the Pixel, gives you more flexibility.

Right now, I have iPhone, iPad and iMac... but I haven't really invested in the entire "ecosystem" per se.  I absolutely despise PC's (although I do repair them on the side) and I have to find a tablet that performs as well as an iPad.

Which makes a move to a Pixel 2/2 XL very easy given I already have multiple google products

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve got a iPhone 6s, I’m in love with the simplicity of apple’s OS and at this point I know my way arround it well. I really enjoy the Touch ID so I don’t think I’d be too excited anoint the iPhone 8 so I think I’ll switch to the 7 next....I’m not huge on features so I don’t care a whole lot about having the latest one. I’m with Rogers and I have no complaints other than where I live is a dead spot service wise

Went from iPhone4 to iPhone6 now to iPhone7s. Just got this one last week. Every time I go up in size I’m amazed I used the smaller phone. The 4 looks like a matchbook when I look at it now. For me it’s about having the device work with the current OS efficiently and having enough storage space on the phone. 

7 hours ago, Znowleopard said:

It locks you in and its not very user flexible,  all their stuff is really expensive.  Lots of Anti consumer practices, idk not really my thing.

Doesn’t lock me in and is very user flexible. Not sure what you’re talking about. Not sure what anti-consumer practices you’re talking about either.

3 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Went from iPhone4 to iPhone6 now to iPhone7s. Just got this one last week. Every time I go up in size I’m amazed I used the smaller phone. The 4 looks like a matchbook when I look at it now. For me it’s about having the device work with the current OS efficiently and having enough storage space on the phone. 

That’s the nice thing about the X. The phone is physically smaller but the screen is larger. It’s perfect.

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

Doesn’t lock me in and is very user flexible. Not sure what you’re talking about. Not sure what anti-consumer practices you’re talking about either.

Alot of people in this thread have said they wouldn't mind switching away from Apple but are locked into their ecosystem. As for anti-consumer practices, instead of using industry standards like USB and 3.5mm headphones, they invent their own proprietary..err "better"...standards so they can make even more money selling chargers, headsets, adapters at double and triple the cost.

7 hours ago, estogoalie said:

Alot of people in this thread have said they wouldn't mind switching away from Apple but are locked into their ecosystem. As for anti-consumer practices, instead of using industry standards like USB and 3.5mm headphones, they invent their own proprietary..err "better"...standards so they can make even more money selling chargers, headsets, adapters at double and triple the cost.

I agree I’d like to see lightning go away and be replaced by USB-C. Unfortunately for Apple they went ahead and got ahead of the industry with lightning. Happens all the time in tech. A company sees a need, develops a proprietary innovation which is soon followed by an industry standard that is similar but not the same.

As for the headphone jack... that’s something you won’t see on phones at all soon enough. 

Nobody is locked into an ecosystem. 

5 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I agree I’d like to see lightning go away and be replaced by USB-C. Unfortunately for Apple they went ahead and got ahead of the industry with lightning. Happens all the time in tech. A company sees a need, develops a proprietary innovation which is soon followed by an industry standard that is similar but not the same.

As for the headphone jack... that’s something you won’t see on phones at all soon enough. 

Nobody is locked into an ecosystem. 

Apple does take the Wall-Garden approach with limiting DEFAULT apps to be just theirs - whereas Android is truly open. I would love for them to take to USB-C on their phones too. Fortunately their Mac's are USB-C, an mentioned earlier I am a devout Android user, but I DO enjoy doing my work on my Macbook more than on a Windows PC (i'm on a Chromebook now, also USB-C, it's glorious when your laptop and phone use the same charger).

Overall it's their pricing schemes that do anger people, while ridiculous - keep in mind you're not simply paying for just the hardware and the software with Apple - it's also post purchase support which can be non-existent from other OEMs.

I had a chance to pop into a Bell Store and demo the Pixel 2 and 2 XL... WOW... I'm only used android a few times but I really like the interface on 8.0 Oreo and how it runs so clean on the Pixels.

Went side by side with an S8 and the Pixel 2 XL was quicker and cleaner... and the camera seems as good as advertised!

Not crazy about the bezels on the 2... and the edge to edge screen on the 2XL is really something.

22 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

I had a chance to pop into a Bell Store and demo the Pixel 2 and 2 XL... WOW... I'm only used android a few times but I really like the interface on 8.0 Oreo and how it runs so clean on the Pixels.

Went side by side with an S8 and the Pixel 2 XL was quicker and cleaner... and the camera seems as good as advertised!

Not crazy about the bezels on the 2... and the edge to edge screen on the 2XL is really something.

Curtis, keep in mind historically with Samsung phones, while fast out of the box, they aren't as well optimized and do tend to slow down due to bloat. Hearing positive things on the S8/Note 8 front, but there's still that history. Now whereas with the Nexus' and Pixels, do they do remain fast due to the clean Android interface they run. 

Also the camera on the Pixel 2/XL is due to improve due to a new dedicated graphics processing chip that will open up to 3rd party API's with the Android 8.1 update (should be rolling out, mine just updated today). 

Have you considered the LG V30? 

13 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Does it work with itunes?  Or just dropping the files straight from my computer library?

Just drag and drop, Apple won't open up itunes to other competitors. I too, like @coopaloop1234 am a Spotify Premium user (I would be a user even if I was an iPhone user too though).

1 minute ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Ok thanks.

There are workarounds, or there was 5 years ago.

1 minute ago, IPv6Freely said:

What do you mean? Is there no iTunes for Windows anymore?

I meant as in for Android, for mobile sync. HOWEVER, there is Apple Music on Android though. 

Archived