Warrior G6

coopaloop1234

45 minutes ago, twoblockers said:

I’m a 33+2 in CCM and have had G4’s & G5’s at 34+1.5 and they were great. I’m 6’0 with a 17.5 ATK. 

Wow, I've last been measured at 5'11, and I have the same ATK as you. Conventional wisdom would say that I'm a 34 (33).in CCM, but it turns out that 33" CCM and M (34") Bauer pads are too small for me. I could go to a shop to try 34+1.5 Warrior pads, but I'd be willing to bet that 35s will be a better fit in Warrior. 

15 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

Wow, I've last been measured at 5'11, and I have the same ATK as you. Conventional wisdom would say that I'm a 34 (33).in CCM, but it turns out that 33" CCM and M (34") Bauer pads are too small for me. I could go to a shop to try 34+1.5 Warrior pads, but I'd be willing to bet that 35s will be a better fit in Warrior. 

Really starting to wish I didn’t have a 19.5 FTK even though I’m 6’0” lol. Medium Bauer pads are too big for me but my 33+2 CCMS are spot on and unintentionally the proper NHL spec size for me. 

Interesting to note that in Pure's Warrior custom goal catalog there's an option for a locked ankle break but there's no ankle break option anywhere on any G6 customizer. That said if I were to go G6 I would personally want that locked ankle break since I loved it on 2S.

Edited by ThatCarGuy

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2022 at 8:28 PM, ThatCarGuy said:

Interesting to note that in Pure's Warrior custom goal catalog there's an option for a locked ankle break but there's no ankle break option anywhere on any G6 customizer. That said if I were to go G6 I would personally want that locked ankle break since I loved it on 2S.

What is the advantage of a locked ankle break? 

OK. It won't make a difference to me, then. If I was going for custom pads, I'd look for something that shot out hard rebounds and had good sliding qualities. IIRC, CCM Speedskin is crap (it doesn't work on bad ice), CORTech is great, and Airslide (Warrior's sliding surface) is somewhere in between.

Is there a way to enhance Speedskin or Airslide to improve its performance? 

My best advice for sizing with Warrior is to follow their chart-not just the FTK but also body height.  Stores mostly stock 35+1.5 so I couldn't try anything in person.  With an FTK of 21.5 the chart put me in a 37+1.5 but the height matched on the chart is 6'3 and I'm 6'1.5" which put me in a 36+1.5.  So for me it made sense to make sure I matched the FTK with a 37" pad but take off that inch from the thigh so I ended up in a 37+0.5".  Pads fit perfectly.  Went with the same size for my G6 order.

54 minutes ago, coryquick said:

My best advice for sizing with Warrior is to follow their chart-not just the FTK but also body height.  Stores mostly stock 35+1.5 so I couldn't try anything in person.  With an FTK of 21.5 the chart put me in a 37+1.5 but the height matched on the chart is 6'3 and I'm 6'1.5" which put me in a 36+1.5.  So for me it made sense to make sure I matched the FTK with a 37" pad but take off that inch from the thigh so I ended up in a 37+0.5".  Pads fit perfectly.  Went with the same size for my G6 order.

That's interesting. That means that I should be a 35 based on leg length, but have a smaller thigh rise because I'm not 6 feet. Is there a way to try Warrior pads to see what thigh rise makes the most sense? 

On 4/17/2022 at 6:48 PM, ilyazhito said:

OK. It won't make a difference to me, then. If I was going for custom pads, I'd look for something that shot out hard rebounds and had good sliding qualities. IIRC, CCM Speedskin is crap (it doesn't work on bad ice), CORTech is great, and Airslide (Warrior's sliding surface) is somewhere in between.

Is there a way to enhance Speedskin or Airslide to improve its performance? 

Strong legs and clean technique. Other than, nothing really outperforms on bad ice.

2 hours ago, coryquick said:

You are an exception and I hope your G6 come out right for you. According to their chart, I should be in a 36" but after trying on some 34"s at a shop, I ordered me some 35" GT2s. Because I'm not wearing a boot strap, I could get away with a 34", maybe, but the 35" seems spot on and with break in at the boot in the next year or two, they shot be dialled in perfectly. 

I don't see why they still use overall body height as a factor. You can line up 3-4 guys at 6'2 and they might all need a different size pad based on their own FTK.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, RichMan said:

Strong legs and clean technique. Other than, nothing really outperforms on bad ice.

Plastic sliding plate does. Try it. Constant slide from almost fresh ice to a snow castle.

Only on fresh and fully frozen ice the plastic plates are not stellar. If there is a bit of water still on ice the plastics fly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichMan said:

You are an exception and I hope your G6 come out right for you. According to their chart, I should be in a 36" but after trying on some 34"s at a shop, I ordered me some 35" GT2s. Because I'm not wearing a boot strap, I could get away with a 34", maybe, but the 35" seems spot on and with break in at the boot in the next year or two, they shot be dialled in perfectly. 

I don't see why they still use overall body height as a factor. You can line up 3-4 guys at 6'2 and they might all need a different size pad based on their own FTK.

But remember, I followed the exact pad size for my FTK, but used the body height to dictate thigh rise.  You have to use both for the exact reason you stated about 3-4 guys at the same height

1 hour ago, ArdeFIN said:

Plastic sliding plate does. Try it. Constant slide from almost fresh ice to a snow castle.

Only on fresh and fully frozen ice the plastic plates are not stellar. If there is a bit of water still on ice the plastics fly.

This^^.  A polycarbonate plate will absolutely maintain optimal sliding on shitty ice, that's why they tested this for 2 years and kept it.  My understanding is pros loved it.  Expect to see it next season in the NHL too.  It will be interesting to see which NHL goalies will be rocking Warrior.

Edited by coryquick
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, coryquick said:

But remember, I followed the exact pad size for my FTK, but used the body height to dictate thigh rise.  You have to use both for the exact reason you stated about 3-4 guys at the same height

I'm 6'2 with long Femurs. The chart dictates one thing but reality says another. If anything, people have to go out and try stuff on for better sureness. 

24 minutes ago, coryquick said:

This^^.  A polycarbonate plate will absolutely maintain optimal sliding on shitty ice, that's why they tested this for 2 years and kept it.  My understanding is pros loved it.  Expect to see it next season in the NHL too.  It will be interesting to see which NHL goalies will be rocking Warrior.

And even more interesting question is, which of the other Manufacturers follow the plastic route and implement their own way to add plastic on sliding surface. 

I'd like to see some sort of sewn-in design for this issue and not just an add-on plates. Bauer already has the plastic structure inside the knee blocks.