Warrior G6

coopaloop1234

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

That knee wing looks a different shade of red than the rest of the gear.

Didn't the G5s have the AirSlide in that area?

I wonder if they have a new sliding material there (hence the color mismatch)

39 minutes ago, ArdeFIN said:

Good pick, might really be some vinyl or even a plastic sheet like PE. That's what I have on my GT pads and yes it slides.

Kova is offering vinyl for kneewings and Varusteverstas makes a lot of vinyl swaps too. My Reebok XLTs are getting that too to test it IRL. 

Should be really slick from what I've heard but can it beat the PE plastic. 

From what information I've been able to get, I was told that the knee wing was an almost plastic like material. 

That's probably what you're seeing. 

• Like 1

Switching to plastic rather than air slide in this actually makes a ton of sense to me because as helpful as air slide was to me I did run into issues a few times where hinging on the post was difficult because the slots are the complete wrong direction for that kind of movement. Removing air slide from the knee should solve that. 

23 hours ago, Yzueblin said:

It’s the same design since g3 man 😂😂

I wish.  IMO, the G3 was the pinnacle.  The G4 had that stupid Bauer-ish reduced outer roll (why is the trend to voluntarily reduce our surface area??) and the G5 has the bulls* puffy "cover edge".  Adding a pillow underneath the outer roll does not give more overall surface area.

Let's go back to thin and light pads with full outer rolls.  Also, please come out with a 1-piece blocker for the G-series.

4 hours ago, RichMan said:

The G3s had leather straps option capabilities, right?

just for the boot, but so did the G2 - g5.  u prob can rig something up if u want leather for the other straps like mushroom straps for the calf  air slide velcro. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DL42 said:

just for the boot, but so did the G2 - g5.  u prob can rig something up if u want leather for the other straps like mushroom straps for the calf  air slide velcro. 

Actually, the G2 had full leather strap accessory kit (knee and calf straps too).  I went to Warrior when the G2's came out.  IMO, the best pads ever made at the time.  But the G2's biggest flaw was the strapping.  It had standard elastic straps (something like 1.5-2" thick) but it wouldn't hold my leg in the channel and my knee kept coming off the knee block.  Also, I had a lot of problems with my supplemental knee pads catching on the knee block.  At least in my case, getting the leather straps was mandatory, I strapped them loosely just to use as "limiting" straps to make sure my leg stayed in the channel. 

Then the G3's came out, and even though my G2's were just a little over 1 year old, I didn't blink an eye to upgrade.  The strapping on the G3's (that single super wide triangle strap that they still have today) is perfect.  The knee strap also has a built in nylon limiting strap too.  For some reason, I stopped having knee pad binding issues too.

IMO, the innovative Warrior "toe" straps are another no brainer.  I assumed all goalie pads would use that design, but I guess I was wrong.  To my surprise, I see a lot of people don't like them.  I've torn my MCL twice while playing - I attribute it partially to using classic toe ties.  I find Warriors elastic straps (one goes under your skate toe and the other I choose to go through my skate's Lundy loop) are genius and work perfectly - perfect pad rotation - zero leg stress.

But the G4's and G5's have given me no reason to upgrade.  Hoping the G6's can do better.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BonesDT said:

Actually, the G2 had full leather strap accessory kit (knee and calf straps too).  I went to Warrior when the G2's came out.  IMO, the best pads ever made at the time.  But the G2's biggest flaw was the strapping.  It had standard elastic straps (something like 1.5-2" thick) but it wouldn't hold my leg in the channel and my knee kept coming off the knee block.  Also, I had a lot of problems with my supplemental knee pads catching on the knee block.  At least in my case, getting the leather straps was mandatory, I strapped them loosely just to use as "limiting" straps to make sure my leg stayed in the channel. 

Then the G3's came out, and even though my G2's were just a little over 1 year old, I didn't blink an eye to upgrade.  The strapping on the G3's (that single super wide triangle strap that they still have today) is perfect.  The knee strap also has a built in nylon limiting strap too.  For some reason, I stopped having knee pad binding issues too.

IMO, the innovative Warrior "toe" straps are another no brainer.  I assumed all goalie pads would use that design, but I guess I was wrong.  To my surprise, I see a lot of people don't like them.  I've torn my MCL twice while playing - I attribute it partially to using classic toe ties.  I find Warriors elastic straps (one goes under your skate toe and the other I choose to go through my skate's Lundy loop) are genius and work perfectly - perfect pad rotation - zero leg stress.

But the G4's and G5's have given me no reason to upgrade.  Hoping the G6's can do better.

I also really loved the Warrior toe ties that came on the G2. I kept them when I sold those pads and transferred them to my new set and used them until they wore through and couldn't be sewn back together anymore.

BUT - the new versions of the toe straps I found to be significantly tighter. I don't know if it was how they attached it across the bottom of the boot instead of anchoring it on one side, but the tension on the front of my skate was way too tight to be comfortable. The elastic piece extends parallel to the front of the boot, as I have highlighted in this picture:

image.png.f85c132cea87bec689b769f2fa099ed0.png

I couldn't use them, and eventually replaced them with ProLaces ties.

36 minutes ago, BonesDT said:

Hmm, didn't know that.  They are adjustable - there is velcro under that jenpro.  Did you try lengthening the strap?  Also, you could easily lengthen the strap by adding a loop or a keychain ring between the clip and loop.

It is not easily accessible to adjust; the G2 version has a velcro tab that folded over itself and worked well. It ended up, to me, being more of a hassle than it was worth on the G5. Just wanted to give a heads up that it seemed like their default/stock tightness of the toe tie had become tighter feeling since the G2 era, if that is an area of concern for you.

One thing I wish more companies would copy/imitate/get inspired by is the bindingless boot - it really cuts down on wear in that area. Maybe there are patent or copyright reasons why they can't, but it would be nice to see.

Has anyone messed with the knee strap setting from within the knee block to lengthen it? I wasn't aware you could do that. When I tried to attach the outside wing to the furthest setting to try it out on ice, the knee strap (neoprene) wouldn't extend far enough making half of the male velcro side rub on the sock material behind my knee.

5 hours ago, Teezle said:

It is not easily accessible to adjust; the G2 version has a velcro tab that folded over itself and worked well. It ended up, to me, being more of a hassle than it was worth on the G5. Just wanted to give a heads up that it seemed like their default/stock tightness of the toe tie had become tighter feeling since the G2 era, if that is an area of concern for you.

One thing I wish more companies would copy/imitate/get inspired by is the bindingless boot - it really cuts down on wear in that area. Maybe there are patent or copyright reasons why they can't, but it would be nice to see.

The bindingless boot just looks so clean as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know what's going on with Warrior lately? I assume their production is also impacted by COVID. Very little stock in stores and it seems like everyone's offloading the G5 stuff.

Just curious how this'll impact G6 and the new line.

Edited by indykrap

2 minutes ago, indykrap said:

Anyone know what's going on with Warrior lately? Assume their production is also impacted by COVID. Very little stock in stores and it seems like everyone's offloading the G5 stuff.

Just curious how this'll impact G6 and the new line.

"Anyone know what's going on with ______ lately? Assume their production is also impacted by COVID. Very little stock in stores and it seems like everyone's offloading the____ stuff.

Just curious how this'll impact ____and the new line."

*insert any brand name in the blanks.

Supply chain is fuckered. Especially with any incoming shipments from overseas where the majority of gear we get comes from. I'd temper expectations on a smooth stock replenishment of any gear set for the next year.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

"Anyone know what's going on with ______ lately? Assume their production is also impacted by COVID. Very little stock in stores and it seems like everyone's offloading the____ stuff.

Just curious how this'll impact ____and the new line."

*insert any brand name in the blanks.

Supply chain is fuckered. Especially with any incoming shipments from overseas where the majority of gear we get comes from. I'd temper expectations on a smooth stock replenishment of any gear set for the next year.

reasonable enough! 

Here's what Warrior needs to do to stay relevant:

1)  make a 1-piece blocker for their G-line (there has been like zero difference between the G-blockers and GT-blockers)

2)  replace their traditional Jenpro with Bauer's CORTech skin.  I think Bauer has proven their new technology is the future of goal pad materials and accepts DigiPrint graphics pushing customization to an all new level.

3)  bring DigiPrint custom graphics to their Senior line (like Bauer just did for their 3X line).  Warrior used to be known for their customizations.  Now they have less customization options than ever (since the G4-on, they removed all stock color options for full-right senior gloves!).  It's time to steal that title back from Bauer.

4) ditch the stupid mask they just released.  They should have come up with a design where you can velcro in and out mask padding to get a perfect custom fit.  Instead, they advertised "phantom fit technology", which is literally a nothing.

Edited by BonesDT

20 minutes ago, BonesDT said:

Here's what Warrior needs to do to stay relevant:

1)  make a 1-piece blocker for their G-line (there has been like zero difference between the G-blockers and GT-blockers)

2)  replace their traditional Jenpro with Bauer's CORTech skin.  I think Bauer has proven their new technology is the future of goal pad materials and accepts DigiPrint graphics pushing customization to an all new level.

3)  bring DigiPrint custom graphics to their Senior line (like Bauer just did for their 3X line).  Warrior used to be known for their customizations.  Now they have less customization options than ever (since the G4-on, they removed all stock color options for full-right senior gloves!).  It's time to steal that title back from Bauer.

4) ditch the stupid mask they just released.  They should have come up with a design where you can velcro in and out mask padding to get a perfect custom fit.  Instead, they advertised "phantom fit technology", which is literally a nothing.

1. GT line is extinct. With the addition of Hypercomp, the rigidity of the sidewalls has been excellent. Won't argue it can't be better, but I wouldn't consider it a point of concern.
2. Aside from it being proprietary, is there much of a point? None of the other brands have adopted a different face material for their pads
3. When was Warrior known for their customization? Brians was the king of custom and still is arguably. And they'd probably need to start off with incorporating digital printed skins for their pro line before their senior line.
4. Part of the certification of helmets comes from the padding itself. Allowing the modification of the padding would remove any CSA/HECC certification for the helmets and would make them unusable in a large majority of leagues.

Edited by coopaloop1234

24 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

1. GT line is extinct. With the addition of Hypercomp, the rigidity of the sidewalls has been excellent. Won't argue it can't be better, but I wouldn't consider it a point of concern.
2. Aside from it being proprietary, is there much of a point? None of the other brands have adopted a different face material for their pads
3. When was Warrior known for their customization? Brians was the king of custom and still is arguably. And they'd probably need to start off with incorporating digital printed skins for their pro line before their senior line.
4. Part of the certification of helmets comes from the padding itself. Allowing the modification of the padding would remove any CSA/HECC certification for the helmets and would make them unusable in a large majority of leagues.

1.  maybe just a personal preference but 2-piece thick board blockers are as dated as 2-piece catchers.

2.  the point is digiprints.  Bauer's skin is here to stay and all companies will replace Jenpro in the future.

3.  IDK, I thought Warrior was known for that.  I agree digiprint needs to come out for Pro line first.

4.  Bauer's mask padding is 100% mechanically attached (can be removed and replaced easily) and they have their certs.  Anyway, I doubt including little sections of additional stick on foam to fill in voids on skinny faces would void their certification.  The certification is based on the main foams.  Or they can look into fillable air pockets like the Schutt Air football helmets.  There's definitely room for innovation in the goalie mask department.  The mask they recently released is irrelevant - it brings nothing to the table.  The only reason I see anyone wanting to purchase it is solely because they want the Warrior label to match the rest of their gear.  

3 minutes ago, BonesDT said:

1.  maybe just a personal preference but 2-piece thick board blockers are as dated as 2-piece catchers.

2.  the point is digiprints.  Bauer's skin is here to stay and all companies will replace Jenpro in the future.

3.  IDK, I thought Warrior was known for that.  I agree digiprint needs to come out for Pro line first.

4.  Bauer's mask padding is 100% mechanically attached (can be removed and replaced easily) and they have their certs.  Anyway, I doubt including little sections of additional stick on foam to fill in voids on skinny faces would void their certification.  The certification is based on the main foams.  Or they can look into fillable air pockets like the Schutt Air football helmets.  There's definitely room for innovation in the goalie mask department.  The mask they recently released is irrelevant - it brings nothing to the table.  The only reason I see anyone wanting to purchase it is solely because they want the Warrior label to match the rest of their gear.  

1. Is there that much of an actual difference?

2. CCM is doing digital prints on their gear without Coretech skin. It's not mandatory in order to facilitate.

3. Nah, Warrior has always been pretty lacking in the customization department. Aside from the slight adjustments to their glove liners and positions, it's been pretty much: "Take it or leave it"

4. It's mechanically attached but it's position is standardized and can't be deviated from. I have a VTX.

And technically, a person should be purchasing a mask that properly fits their face instead of buying a mask and then modifying it to make it fit. And I hear ya, their mask isn't anything special but most aren't.

Maybe a replacement of Jenpro is coming, but I do not think it is in the near future. A lot of R&D has to go into developing new skins and making sure they work and are durable enough and are feasible for the equipment and it's price point.

I'm fairly certain any modification of a certified goalie mask with non-certified parts voids the certification.

HECC is pretty clear that in regards to COVID spit guards ("HECC has determined that any modification to the helmet will void the helmet's certification. This would include any Spit Guard that is applied to the helmet, or any Spit Guard that replaces the components of the approved helmet") and with sensor devices ("HECC has determined that any modification to the helmet or chin cup will void the helmet's certification. This would include any device that is applied to the helmet, or any device (like a chin cup) that replaces the components of the approved helmet")

The language is pretty sweeping.

Would anyone catch it? Probably not. Does anyone care? Probably not.

21 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

And technically, a person should be purchasing a mask that properly fits their face instead of buying a mask and then modifying it to make it fit. And I hear ya, their mask isn't anything special but most aren't.

I completely agree that the #1 most important aspect of a mask is how well it fits your head.  Off-the-shelf mask shells only come in 1 or 2 sizes.  The fit is fine-tuned by the thickness of the padding.  This applies even for custom companies like Protechsport.  What difference does it make whether the factory installs a certain thickness of padding rather than you adding thickness.  Usually, the protection is coming from the higher density primary layers of the padding.  The softer density padding that actually touches is your face is less protective and more comfort filler to fit your face.  I'm just talking about tweaking the softer density padding.  I have a hunch most of us do that anyway.  I like a snug fit around my cheeks and jawbone and I typically glue on extra layers of soft density foam in those areas.  Nothing wrong with that.

Condoning customizing the thickness of foams in an off-the-shelf mask is a good thing.  There's plenty of goalies who buy (or are sold) masks that fit them like crap.  That's never going to change.  We can keep letting this happen or we can empower people to make their masks fit better.

Warrior is doing fine.

They could come out with a 2nd line of blocker that is super thin like the old CCM blockade and  or Bauer Hyperlite.

They need better copywriter and tester of equipment for marketing material and difference between years or at least give it to the retailers and have them display it or available.

For the custom part:  

Offer custom pad  sizing not stock sizing ,  this will benefit female players with small skate size and body size.

Offer Custom goal stick patterns to public not just retail patterns off the 3. that means from mexico not china, yes add a min order size.  

retail stock -  offer thighrise bars to increase the stiffness of the pads on outside and do the same on the inside back of the pads.  Also add to that a thighrise board extension to pads similar to what SMITH hockey had on one of the pads. Maybe also add interchangeable shin face foam board sliding in from the side.

Need more anchoring point for additional straps adjustments.

more velcro loop on the leg protector for diff velcro options.

make boot risers removable and shin removable like g2 for better fit adjustment and sizing .