The bunnyman challenge

Weighted vest is definitely a game changer. I now even wear it on the bike. It is a passive means to work my core. Some of my “great in the mirror” muscles are showing through as a result of wearing this thing. Of course there will always be a cosmetic deficiency in my abdomen as a result of four surgeries in that area. My career as a bare-torso male model are well over 🤣

The challenge is beginning to pay off. Once I can get back on the ice in November, I believe that this new regimen will start paying in spades. My back does sometimes hurt as I keep upping the reps with my kettle bell exercises, but it feels vastly stronger. I will start adding fake ice workouts to go along with the other things.

Now that fitness is coming along, I can say for certain the following:

a) It is entirely possible to regain fitness after you are over the hill

b) hockey can be your only workout IF you play daily

c) off-ice support is NECESSARY in order to play well, PARTICULARLY in the aerobic/anaerobic phases of the game

d) daily exercise contributes to OVERALL well-being, both physical AND mental.

Of course your contributions are welcome! Please chime in!

I’m not reading the entire thread so I’m not sure if this has been said

but the two most important things IMO is being consistent with your exercise/workout ( doesn’t matter if you miss one day just get back into it the next day bcs at the end of the day all that’s important is that you are moving), and your diet. Eat like crap you’ll feel like crap.

These two things are how I went from an underweight scrawny guy To someone who looks normal. I’m not jacked in anyway or form but I do feel much better than I used to. Physically and mentally.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Goalieinneed said:

I’m not reading the entire thread so I’m not sure if this has been said

but the two most important things IMO is being consistent with your exercise/workout ( doesn’t matter if you miss one day just get back into it the next day bcs at the end of the day all that’s important is that you are moving), and your diet. Eat like crap you’ll feel like crap.

These two things are how I went from an underweight scrawny guy To someone who looks normal. I’m not jacked in anyway or form but I do feel much better than I used to. Physically and mentally.

💯 

Consistency is KEY. Diet is equally important!

• Like 1

I know you said kettlebells for upper body and core, make sure you mix in some resistance exercise like that for the legs. Obviously lower body strength and power benefit goalies, but will also help with balance. Also if you're looking for something spicy, add in some jump rope workouts. If you boxed I'm sure you've had some experience with jumping rope haha. Great to hear it is going well for you so far, keep it up!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

184.5 ish. 

Now I am mixing up the training. Morning workout will switch between treadmill and bike. Afternoon workout is a leisurely bike ride outdoors. My new machine has become a favourite steed in my fleet. I am going to gear her a bit more aggressively soon. More coloured alloy bits! But there are a few small  sections where there is a grade. I am flying up those. 

Winter will be admittedly harder only due to it being too cold to ride outdoors. This is where the fake rink comes in. 

I think I will celebrate 50 a lot fitter!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

184.5 ish. 

Now I am mixing up the training. Morning workout will switch between treadmill and bike. Afternoon workout is a leisurely bike ride outdoors. My new machine has become a favourite steed in my fleet. I am going to gear her a bit more aggressively soon. More coloured alloy bits! But there are a few small  sections where there is a grade. I am flying up those. 

Winter will be admittedly harder only due to it being too cold to ride outdoors. This is where the fake rink comes in. 

I think I will celebrate 50 a lot fitter!

I see people riding all winter, not too many of them mind you, in Manitoba. You can always add more layers!