What is the weirdest/most gimmicky/most bizarre piece of equipment you know of?

botpixel

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

That's meant for a sport other than hockey.  I can't think of the name though.  It's played with a disc.

Had to look up what ringette is. Looks... interesting. Cages look much different though.

Besides, the type of cage shown in the picture was originally created by Streit's father, so definitely meant for hockey.

I was watching a video from the day with Bob Froese and Pelle discussing their goalie gear.

At the time, Froese was using the Curtis Curve stick. While we all know that stick, he mentioned that the shaft curves helped to shoot the puck too. The bend at the grip sorta countoured to the catching glove break and the bend at the butt end gives you more leverage.

I always just limited the curves to paddle down improvement and for when the stick had to be picked up. Never thought of the shooting the puck advantages.

Christian Curtis Curve stick - SOLD! - Used Gear - THE GOAL[ie] NET[work]

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MTH said:

I was watching a video from the day with Bob Froese and Pelle discussing their goalie gear.

At the time, Froese was using the Curtis Curve stick. While we all know that stick, he mentioned that the shaft curves helped to shoot the puck too. The bend at the grip sorta countoured to the catching glove break and the bend at the butt end gives you more leverage.

I always just limited the curves to paddle down improvement and for when the stick had to be picked up. Never thought of the shooting the puck advantages.

I saw what some guys could do puck handling-wise with those Curtis Curves. I was a believer.

I wore a Louch mask for our school team in the late 50's, outdoor hockey. The damn thing was heavy, very heavy and would constantly fog up. But a mask was mandatory and there weren't many options.

I would wear a toque (American translation, a wool stocking cap) and perch this damn thing over top. It was constructed from a thick (did I mention heavy) industrial size piece of plexiglass which would distort your vision where it began to wrap around your head. 

The hardware attached to the straps pressed on your temples, just an awful piece of "protection".

The next season I went back to my baseball catcher's mask and a headband to keep my ears from freezing. But, hey, I was playing goal!

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Wonder35 said:

I wore a Louch mask for our school team in the late 50's, outdoor hockey. The damn thing was heavy, very heavy and would constantly fog up. But a mask was mandatory and there weren't many options.

I would wear a toque (American translation, a wool stocking cap) and perch this damn thing over top. It was constructed from a thick (did I mention heavy) industrial size piece of plexiglass which would distort your vision where it began to wrap around your head. 

The hardware attached to the straps pressed on your temples, just an awful piece of "protection".

The next season I went back to my baseball catcher's mask and a headband to keep my ears from freezing. But, hey, I was playing goal!

You are an absolute treasure, @Wonder35! I feel like if we met up in person, we could talk hockey history for hours on end. Just amazing. Cheers, my good man! 🍻 

• Like 2

On 10/1/2021 at 4:46 PM, MTH said:

U3wI4LzQUhk.thumb.jpg.d3adda6118be923a4cef48fd219a6dba.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 10 months later...