True goalie, total failure

Silence

Everything from price to availability (or lack thereof) to horrendous delivery dates to sizing issues truly has me feeling alienated. The wholesome feeling of pro gear made in Canada is great I think. But Warrior ran into this same issue when it first started ad their gear was Canadian made and they couldn't fullfill orders, had quality control issues etc. I don't mean to crap on True, truly. But as a goalie that likes to help other goalies, I recommend spending your money elsewhere and not get caught up with all the goalies on television wearing their stuff. None of us will take priority like then.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Peter36 said:

Of course I'm pretty much in between sizes lol. I'm just worried cause Bauers run small that Bauer's 33" won't be the same size as True's 32" in the knee

From what I’ve heard true’s updated size chart is spot on. In your situation however your specs would decide 31 or 32

38 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

From what I’ve heard true’s updated size chart is spot on. In your situation however your specs would decide 31 or 32

It would be completely stock as I found a pair online that's stock. I don't wear a bootstrap with my hyperlites, so maybe if I wore the bootstrap on L12.2's it would ensure they don't sit too high in the knee?

1 hour ago, Peter36 said:

It would be completely stock as I found a pair online that's stock. I don't wear a bootstrap with my hyperlites, so maybe if I wore the bootstrap on L12.2's it would ensure they don't sit too high in the knee?

That’s what I would expect. Even a Lundy loop boot strap could make that difference in butterfly depending how your skates are when you drop normally. Personally my heels kick out a little more so even a Lundy loop pulls the knee down. 

• Thanks 1

This is what I got from the store I asked.

"The True L12.2 in that 32+1 size will sit about an inch shorter in the thigh rise and a half-inch shorter at the knee than your Hyperlite Smalls.  The True 33 matches up as close as you could find to that Hyperlite 33 so unless you're looking to size down and gain a bit of mobility, I'd go for a True 33+1."

4 hours ago, Peter36 said:

This is what I got from the store I asked.

"The True L12.2 in that 32+1 size will sit about an inch shorter in the thigh rise and a half-inch shorter at the knee than your Hyperlite Smalls.  The True 33 matches up as close as you could find to that Hyperlite 33 so unless you're looking to size down and gain a bit of mobility, I'd go for a True 33+1."

I'm a smidge over a 19.5" FTK, which puts me between a 32 and 33.  Went with a 32+3 on the 20.2 (which sizes the same as the other lines now).  I believe if you want to take full advantage of the new features (soft boot and FRS) you need to order slightly shorter than you're used to

To give you some perspective, I fit between the Bauer Small and Medium

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like some stores are able to get True custom slots again.

Per an e-mail from GoalieMonkey:

Due to unprecedented demand for custom goalie equipment and limitations within the supply chain, True Hockey has implemented a measured approach to custom goalie equipment to ensure timely production and the highest possible quality.

In response to this approach, GoalieMonkey will be launching a standby list for customers that want to place a True custom order. At the beginning of each month, GoalieMonkey will receive an allocation of custom production slots. We will contact customers at the top of the list to finalize their orders when production slots are available. Once contacted, customers will have three business days to confirm their custom order and arrange payment.  The production time is approximately 6 weeks after the order has been accepted by True.

Customers will be contacted by e-mail and or telephone, so please ensure the information you supply on the registration form is accurate. If we don’t receive a response from the customer within three business days, the customer will forfeit their position on the standby list and we will move on to the next customer on the list. Custom orders must be for a full set of equipment; Leg Pads, Glove & Blocker.

To expedite the process, please supply a reference code from the True Goalie Customizer during registration. Don’t worry if you don’t have one at the time of registration, you can always supply it to the representative once contacted.

Steps

1. Register for the Standby list

2. Wait to be contacted by GoalieMonkey

3. Confirm your order and arrange payment

4. Production (approximately 6 weeks)

5. Shipment (allow 5-7 days)

And GoaliesPlus via Facebook:

GoaliesPlus.png.e2093fda56f8d6d5c9496bd6b33a45e7.png

1 hour ago, agrare said:

Got one of the April production slots from Goalie Monkey, just submitted my configuration today.  Can't wait let's hope it really is 6-8 weeks.

I just got one from Goalies Plus, excited for it! Hopefully the wait times are accurate

• Like 1

Hello all, looking for some help in understanding all the different options. I am a little confused with all the different choice of the "knee zone" 1. What are the differences/benefits to "recessed" vs "soft foam" 2. I am looking just for standard velcro behind the knee like the photo I attached below, what option would that be?

Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 12.02.12 PM.png

Refer to this for recessed vs. soft foam -

If you want to strap behind the knee, you'll want the OUTER KNEE WRAP.

The Recessed foam and Soft Foam options are the foam on the reverse side of the pad face. Your pic has the Recessed option.

There's a copy of the customizer PDF on this page -

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Peter36 said:

So would soft foam be more like what is on the Vaughn V9 pads?

The V9s are pretty recessed IIRC. Most pads these days are recessed for better rotation with independent knee pads. I haven't seen many Trues with the soft foam, but it was fairly thick/bulky on Lefevre's older RBK/Reebok/CCM incarnations.

V9.thumb.png.eab70a309668393062952bfe8ac85ca7.png

Edited by ZeroGravitas
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Madmedic6 said:

What makes me sad is that they are only taking orders for complete sets. I'd love a 12.2 580 glove to match my gnetik5 set but no can do. :/

I agree. Every other company has the option to order one piece or partial combinations. I don't get why True doesn't do that yet. 

On 3/17/2022 at 1:22 PM, ZeroGravitas said:

The V9s are pretty recessed IIRC. Most pads these days are recessed for better rotation with independent knee pads. I haven't seen many Trues with the soft foam, but it was fairly thick/bulky on Lefevre's older RBK/Reebok/CCM incarnations.

V9.thumb.png.eab70a309668393062952bfe8ac85ca7.png

Can they be custom spec'd to not be recessed?  You know, just in case...