TGN's Sweaty Basement Dwellers (Video Game Thread)

coopaloop1234

My issue with Immortal was that about the halfway mark all combat became trivial. You could just stunlock any enemy to death with very little effort.

After that the need for opening up secrets for upgrades became far less appealing since there was no need and it just turned into: "Let's rush through the rest of this and shelf it".

I enjoyed the atmosphere and the gameplay until then, but it fell real hard for me at that point.

8 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

My issue with Immortal was that about the halfway mark all combat became trivial. You could just stunlock any enemy to death with very little effort.

After that the need for opening up secrets for upgrades became far less appealing since there was no need and it just turned into: "Let's rush through the rest of this and shelf it".

I enjoyed the atmosphere and the gameplay until then, but it fell real hard for me at that point.

Yep, or you could just not engage at all.  At some point there was almost zero requirement to engage most enemies, which is always a challenge for any open world, non-linear game to deal with.

The puzzles in the game were awesome, a notch up from Zelda games.

Edited by seagoal

9 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

My greatest accomplishment ever was sweating my undropped balls of to beat lego Star Wars on the wii twice in third grade. Now I waste my time sweating it out in HUT or EASHL. But screw all you PlayStationers. Xbox is better😎

Fortnite, EASHL, and Mincecraft have all done wonders in keeping the younger population contained from the rest of the online games.

59 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Fortnite, EASHL, and Mincecraft have all done wonders in keeping the younger population contained from the rest of the online games.

Oh no, I have talked my fair share of shit in COD😂😂 Warzone is stupid but some good old multiplayer cod is awesome. But you oldies all seem to like PlayStation, so unfortunately I can’t run it up on you guys in chel or cod😥

48 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Oh no, I have talked my fair share of shit in COD😂😂 Warzone is stupid but some good old multiplayer cod is awesome. But you oldies all seem to like PlayStation, so unfortunately I can’t run it up on you guys in chel or cod😥

Please, COD now a days is tame compared to the 360 days. Seeing what people get upset about now on games is just soft compared to the absolute filth that was spewed back then.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

TL;DW

I'm currently sucked into FF14. I don't think I have time for any other games.

So I've kinda wanted to try FF14, but didn't really get into their last MMO (FF11?) so I have some hesitation.
I ended up wasting a couple years of my life to WoW in spurts, with time invested in vanilla, BC, Lich King, and Cataclysm.

I'm a fan in general of the series, I finished FF7 Remake pretty quickly.

Funny story about that,
My wife walked by during a Tifa cutscene and commented "So I see why you've been so busy"
I tried to tell her about the cool battle system and how this was a remake of the original which I played the hell out of around 98...
Her only response, "So you've already played this game before...."

No win scenario

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

So I've kinda wanted to try FF14, but didn't really get into their last MMO (FF11?) so I have some hesitation.
I ended up wasting a couple years of my life to WoW in spurts, with time invested in vanilla, BC, Lich King, and Cataclysm.

I'm a fan in general of the series, I finished FF7 Remake pretty quickly.

Funny story about that,
My wife walked by during a Tifa cutscene and commented "So I see why you've been so busy"
I tried to tell her about the cool battle system and how this was a remake of the original which I played the hell out of around 98...
Her only response, "So you've already played this game before...."

No win scenario

Oof, MMORPGs are the absolute worst time sinks. I can't let myself get involved in one anymore. Way too much time spent on those. 

1 hour ago, insertnamehere said:

Oof, MMORPGs are the absolute worst time sinks. I can't let myself get involved in one anymore. Way too much time spent on those. 

1 hour ago, MangoRhinehart said:

I have sunk wayy too much time in MMORPGs. EQ, DAoC, FFXI, WoW. 

I sometimes will fire up Project1999 for the nostalgia.

Right, I've got to imagine there's some crossover between the item collecting in MMOs and gear-headed goalies...

14 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I've got my pros and cons with it. It's very weeby, which would make sense considering it's a FF game and it's made by Square Enix.

The races are pretty bland. You have: Human, Tall slender human with elf ears, Cat Human, Short Human, Big Broad Human, A tiger, and a bunny human.

The majority of the game is played almost like a single player MMO where there's a "Main Quest Line" that's necessary to progress through the game. It's a core function of the experience to go through this quest line, especially as all content is gated behind in some fashion. It can be a chore to slog through.

Anyone can play any class at the drop of a dime. Depending on the weapon you have equipped, your class or "job", changes. I've been one of the tank classes for the majority of it, but am now dabbling in healing and dps. With a quick button press I equip all my gear associated with each role/class, my hotbars completely change, and I'm good to go.

It's very, very friendly for people that like leveling alts. It uses the typical holy trinity in most MMO's: Tank, Healer, DPS. Though all classes do decent dps, even healers.

I'm enjoying it, my favourite part of MMO's was always leveling new characters and playing different classes, so it works very well for my taste. But man, I wish teh aesthetic was more in line with my preferences.

Either way, they have a "free trial" where you get to experience the base game, and the first expansion all for free. It's got a few caveats like you're unable to add friends (they can add you), can't going a Free Company (guilds), and can't put anything on the auction house.

Edited by coopaloop1234

20 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

So yesterday I found out that @seagoal's favourite character in MK11 is this brooding menace: noob.jpg.dfb453abfbc8755379048b1edfbc4211.jpg

Seagoal, when did you decide to become an Edge Lord?

Haha, nice.   He's fun.  My top 4 in that game are Noob, Rain, Jade, Skarlet.  I've always liked the darker, less normal human, more magical characters better. I never play the human military characters, I just find them boring in fighting games.

Noob Saibot is great, I love his shit talking too.  "Always watching."  "Death comes for all." 

Naturally my favorite mask for him is his goalie mask, duh.  He could have been on a Rinne mask over the years with this mask :)

20210826_102933.jpg

Edited by seagoal