The Definitive Shooting & Playing the Puck Thread

Murray

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love playing the puck!  Unfortunately I am awful at it too!  Every time I leave the crease its an adventure.  There are times where I can't get the puck off the ice for the life of me and there are times I send it clear over the glass.  I don't know how I manage to have such extremes but if I did I guess I wouldn't be so bad at it haha.  I tend to stick to the traditional method.  My backhand is even worse than my forehand. 

For playing the puck, my team tells me I'm too aggressive about it. Doesn't help that even with goalie gear on, there are MAYBE 5 people who are faster than me (8 teams, 12-13ppl per team). Now, when I do play the puck, it's always to a safe area. That safe area may be my center coming back along the boards up by the blue line or me pushing the puck (no shot, just a simple drag and push) to an empty corner or even high off the glass to the neutral zone. I've noticed that a lot of goalies and d-men won't/don't put the puck into the corner. No matter how much you tell them it's safer than trying to pass through 3ppl in the slot. Don't be afraid to push the puck into an empty corner for one of your d-men or back checking forwards to race after (or even lead them there like it was a pass).

For those who are struggling with height (like SaveByRchter above me) or those that are new to shooting the puck, here is a quick tip. As a player I know that where the puck is on my stick determines how high it's going. Same thing with a goalie stick. If you start with the puck in the middle to front(toe) of the blade, the higher it's going to go (this is all general. If your intentionally cupping all the way through and not opening the blade at the end, it'll stay on the ice.). The closer to the tip of the blade, the higher your going to get it. If you release the puck from the heel of your blade, be happy with 2" off the ice. Please don't release off the heel.

One last thing for those who practice at home. Yes, wear your glove/blocker. But that's not the thing. Your stick off the ice is DIFFERENT than on the ice. If you have a 26" paddle on the ice, off ice it's going to be the equivalent of a 28" paddle. Remember, your not wearing skates so you lose 2" of height. That's a major thing that people over look (especially skaters who I train). Because of that, when you switch back to on the ice, it's going to feel different in your hands. Your arms will be in a different position and it won't be like you've practiced, making your off ice work pointless. So either get a practice stick that's 2" shorter, trim one of your fav's down, or nail some 2" thick boards together and create a shooting platform to stand on.

Happy to answer more questions or to elaborate more if anyone wants.

Have to disagree slightly with loki1416.  I start the puck from my heel when I want more power.  As I am rolling my wrists to shoot the puck, the puck is rolling along the whole blade of the stick.  I only use the middle to end of the blade if I am just trying to flick or chip the puck as it gives me less power.   I use the traditional method when I am just clearing the puck, whether it be around the boards or up off the glass.  When I am making a pass to a teammate, I have used the "Turco" method since way back in 1989, whether that be an aerial bomb to centre ice or a hard along the ice pass.  I found that the Turco-method puts less spin on the puck making it easier for my teammate to receive the pass.

@ZeroGravitas Thanks for posting those videos. Messing around with my gloves on, I’m realizing that I have my hand way too much on the back part of the shaft. I seem to be able to take a more stable grip when I wrap my glove all the way around and it feels more like my hand is gripping the front of the shaft, not even to the top.

And I agree with @IPv6Freely wholeheartedly - we need more puckhandling videos, particularly explaining technique.

I want a practice studio of my own like Stauber's in the video for my coaching. That'd be golden for me :)

I improved my puck handling and playing by simply just doing that, handling and playing it more. Sure I screw up sometimes and it's expected. But it's becoming less and less. For those who play shinny, we get a lot more time to warm up and mess around with the pucks which takes the pressure off and helps quite a bit. Every moment counts, so take advantage of it.

The one largest culprit or negative in playing the puck is a lack of confidence. If you question or doubt yourself from the get go, that's the result you'll get. Don't stress so much over it and don't be afraid to make mistakes. That's how you learn best.

6 minutes ago, RichMan said:

I want a practice studio of my own like Stauber's in the video for my coaching. That'd be golden for me :)

I improved my puck handling and playing by simply just doing that, handling and playing it more. Sure I screw up sometimes and it's expected. But it's becoming less and less. For those who play shinny, we get a lot more time to warm up and mess around with the pucks which takes the pressure off and helps quite a bit. Every moment counts, so take advantage of it.

The one largest culprit or negative in playing the puck is a lack of confidence. If you question or doubt yourself from the get go, that's the result you'll get. Don't stress so much over it and don't be afraid to make mistakes. That's how you learn best.

I've been burned a couple times but it's worth it in the long run. You really don't learn unless you have some pressure on you to do it right. Some of my best zone clears have been in tight games because I just really got a hold of it. My sloppiest puck handling is definitely in pickup where it doesn't matter. 

I just want to get some more power on it. I'd like to be able to throw it off the glass but that's not nearly as important as being able to make a crisp pass both forwards and backwards. 

@Naz I do agree with what your saying and your right. To get full power you do go from heel to toe, letting the puck roll along the blade. I was just being overly simplistic. I've just found it easier to teach people to start with the puck in the middle. This way they have the puck in a safer spot (easier to lose it if it's farther back or farther forward, giving them room to make an error and still be covered).

Your blocker glove is your point of anchor. The stick is the leverage tool and your glove is the propulsion mechanism. Your anchor is somewhat static and the glove creates the momentum to propulse. The only other action needed is placing your body slightly forward of the puck and putting ample force(flex) into the stick to whip the puck forward, kinda like a golfing principle but with a 0degree start position.

Makes sense?

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, WizYuan said:

Does anyone still play the Cujo method?

I'm a left-handed goalie that plays Regular and shoots right. I should be playing full wrong but eventually my glove turns into a blocker. Wondering what the pros/cons of this would be.

Aside from having to turn your stick over and change hands any time you want to play the puck? Coupled that in with less control/power, it's not the "best" way to play the puck.

• 2 years later...

Is there anybody left that doesn't use the Turco grip? I have nothing against it .. actually i feel like i have more power behind my pass using it ...  just wondering if anybody still prefers the palm up way. 

The Cujo method is pretty awesome but complicated. 

1 hour ago, Scythe said:

Is there anybody left that doesn't use the Turco grip? I have nothing against it .. actually i feel like i have more power behind my pass using it ...  just wondering if anybody still prefers the palm up way. 

I use turco grip for almost everything but for short passes and taps I much prefer regular grip. Cujo method is fun I’m still learning it though

2 hours ago, Scythe said:

I've never been comfortable using the Turco grip. I just can't wrap my head around the mechanics of it.

Also doesn't help that I normally shoot left as a player anyways, so the hand positioning of a regular grip just comes naturally.

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I've never been comfortable using the Turco grip. I just can't wrap my head around the mechanics of it.

Also doesn't help that I normally shoot left as a player anyways, so the hand positioning of a regular grip just comes naturally.

Ironically that’s why I feel I’m good with the turco grip because I shoot left as a player

5 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

That's your problem, you have to use your hands.

I grew up shooting right as a player.  Since switching to goalie, I shoot left now, even playing out.  The biggest change IMO is the lie of the stick, as it changes where you're shifting your weight and how you load the stick.

7 hours ago, Scythe said:

I Turco it when I need more distance.  If I need to get it on the glass in a hurry I'll run it the traditional way.

11 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

That's your problem, you have to use your hands.

I grew up shooting right as a player.  Since switching to goalie, I shoot left now, even playing out.  The biggest change IMO is the lie of the stick, as it changes where you're shifting your weight and how you load the stick.

I Turco it when I need more distance.  If I need to get it on the glass in a hurry I'll run it the traditional way.

Fuck me I'm stupid.

InfamousDirtyAngwantibo-size_restricted.gif.adf23d37d32ce6835e6121003dcc80a7.gif

I do sometimes wonder if it's my 75 break gloves that make it tougher, but I feel I have to crank my wrist way too far to make sense. It's extremely uncomfortable.

Doesn't help that I never have ice to properly practice it. Especially now.

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Fuck me I'm stupid.

I do sometimes wonder if it's my 75 break gloves that make it tougher, but I feel I have to crank my wrist way too far to make sense. It's extremely uncomfortable.

Doesn't help that I never have ice to properly practice it. Especially now.

I've been able to play it with both a 600 and 580 break.  Admittedly the 580 break feels a bit easier to do it with.

You can play with your hand placement on the shaft (I'm guessing that's not the first time you've heard this) as well as your arm and wrist angles.

My guess is that your catch glove is too close to your paddle.

Not sure if this is posted, but study his hand positioning here:

I'm right-handed and most comfortable shooting right-handed.  So as a regular goalie with a left-handed stick, the Turco grip appealed to me, but I had no idea how to execute it. I've made it a point to work on my shooting/passing/stick-handling for the last year and a half (ever since this one good defenseman "encouraged" me to come out and play the puck because he was sick of coming all the way back to get it).  It has always been the weakest part of my game, aka, it was not a part of my game. The confidence thing was definitely a huge issue to overcome just to try and do it.  And yes, you fail miserably at times.  Because the simple mechanics of shooting lefty confused my body, since the shut down in the beginning of March, I made it a point to practice stick handling as often as possible in my living room with some foam balls and tennis balls.  I eventually bought a cheap small plastic net to shoot them into.  I've probably re-taped my stick 15 times without having gotten on the ice once (since restarting somewhat in August thankfully).  Just figuring things out like knobs and other details, even trying buttendz and bladetape.  Back on the ice, it's a night and day difference.  I'm no pro, but if the right opportunity presents itself, I'm not afraid to take a chance.  Sorry for the wall of text, but I wanted to share my experience.  If you weren't born with it, practicing and taking chances is about all you can do to improve.  

On 9/25/2020 at 3:44 PM, Chenner29 said:

I've been able to play it with both a 600 and 580 break.  Admittedly the 580 break feels a bit easier to do it with.

You can play with your hand placement on the shaft (I'm guessing that's not the first time you've heard this) as well as your arm and wrist angles.

My guess is that your catch glove is too close to your paddle.

Not sure if this is posted, but study his hand positioning here:

Probably am putting my hand too close to the paddle. I'll have to give it a proper go at a drop in.

On 9/25/2020 at 8:41 PM, dreadlocked1 said:

I'm right-handed and most comfortable shooting right-handed.  So as a regular goalie with a left-handed stick, the Turco grip appealed to me, but I had no idea how to execute it. I've made it a point to work on my shooting/passing/stick-handling for the last year and a half (ever since this one good defenseman "encouraged" me to come out and play the puck because he was sick of coming all the way back to get it).  It has always been the weakest part of my game, aka, it was not a part of my game. The confidence thing was definitely a huge issue to overcome just to try and do it.  And yes, you fail miserably at times.  Because the simple mechanics of shooting lefty confused my body, since the shut down in the beginning of March, I made it a point to practice stick handling as often as possible in my living room with some foam balls and tennis balls.  I eventually bought a cheap small plastic net to shoot them into.  I've probably re-taped my stick 15 times without having gotten on the ice once (since restarting somewhat in August thankfully).  Just figuring things out like knobs and other details, even trying buttendz and bladetape.  Back on the ice, it's a night and day difference.  I'm no pro, but if the right opportunity presents itself, I'm not afraid to take a chance.  Sorry for the wall of text, but I wanted to share my experience.  If you weren't born with it, practicing and taking chances is about all you can do to improve.  

My problem is I can shoot a ball just fine as I can get under it a little bit.  Pucks I am so hit and miss with its frustrating as hell.  One play I can whip the puck up along the glass, the next I am lucky if it moved 5 feet.  And I change nothing in my mechanics on either play.  My team usually tells me to stay in the net hahaha

2 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

My problem is I can shoot a ball just fine as I can get under it a little bit.  Pucks I am so hit and miss with its frustrating as hell.  One play I can whip the puck up along the glass, the next I am lucky if it moved 5 feet.  And I change nothing in my mechanics on either play.  My team usually tells me to stay in the net hahaha

What kind of curve do you use?

I have a pair of shinny paddles in a Quick curve, and a pair of game paddles in a Bishop curve. My passing is much more consistent with a Bishop curve. It doesn't let me do anything I can't with a Quick curve, but when I use my shinny paddles it's like you said, one play I send it up the glass and the next I biff it.

Archived