The Lawn Care/Home Improvement Thread

SaveByRichter35

45 minutes ago, chile57 said:

I was really hoping for a sweet monster crane shot when that sucker got dropped in.

Pardon my ignorance here but what with the smaller-ish front yard real estate taken up by the tank itself... where does the drainfield go?

Sorry I’ve been a bit preoccupied watching with the kids I didn’t even take a picture of that 🤦‍♂️  

1 hour ago, chile57 said:

Pardon my ignorance here but what with the smaller-ish front yard real estate taken up by the tank itself... where does the drainfield go?

Sorry forgot to answer this part.  If you look in the above pictures, the septic tank was dropped next to the driveway.  The picture with the guy on his phone standing by the mailbox. In the picture below that you can see the trench dug to where the overflow was being dug out.  The green pipe can be seen next to the trench.  That big hole is where the overflow was placed.  It looks small in the picture but that section of yard is about 2700 square feet.  Plenty of room. 

• Thanks 1

Ahhh - a bit slow today - I see it now. Thanks for getting me up to speed. I love me some good home project action - I have designs on finishing up the insulation portion of my finished basement project this week. Overseed test run had mixed results - though, if I'm being honest - it was a halfassed attempt. Waiting until spring to really attack it with gusto.

5 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Sorry forgot to answer this part.  If you look in the above pictures, the septic tank was dropped next to the driveway.  The picture with the guy on his phone standing by the mailbox. In the picture below that you can see the trench dug to where the overflow was being dug out.  The green pipe can be seen next to the trench.  That big hole is where the overflow was placed.  It looks small in the picture but that section of yard is about 2700 square feet.  Plenty of room. 

Man, I work in the City of Philadelphia daily and constantly handle sewer work. The whole septic tank thing always seems so 'country' to me. Even the township where I live, I don't think there are any houses not connected to the municipal sewer system.

I live near to one of the sewage treatment plants in Gloucester County, when I drive by, it reeks so bad. More than all the pig farms in the neighboring town.

Worse yet - I'll see people jogging by the sewage place. WTF is wrong with you? Maybe motivation to run quicker?

• Haha 2

@MTH one time my work stylings (I don't work with sewage but am in the "utility" realm) took me directly to a sewage treatment place in downtown Detroit proper - I'm talking like 1st Street or something, burned out and vacated houses and everything - the whole nine yards. I've never been in a more undesirable location. The smell in the dead of summer was A-W-F-U-L (we were down wind to boot). Probably shaved some minutes off my life expectancy.

EDIT: Found it - check the scale of the couple dozen shitter vats versus the size of the houses. Also right next to the gem that is Zug lsland... which is essentially a lump of coal.

image.thumb.png.17ee0eafe6afa09780bae14e473b22ad.png

I guess the island itself was probably also contributing to the smells (tasty)...

One of the most pressing problems in the neighborhoods surrounding Zug Island is poor air quality. According to an article in the January 20, 2010, edition of the Detroit Free Press, the neighborhoods around the area compose six of the ten most polluted zip codes in Michigan. In the article, residents cite air quality samples containing lead and high levels of methyl ethyl ketone, large numbers of cancer and asthma cases, and foul smells with "sparkly" dust that must be removed with toilet cleaner.[6] Interviewed separately, residents of the area say the foul smells are strong enough to cause dry heaves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zug_Island

Edited by chile57

On 11/11/2021 at 11:53 AM, chile57 said:

@MTH one time my work stylings (I don't work with sewage but am in the "utility" realm) took me directly to a sewage treatment place in downtown Detroit proper - I'm talking like 1st Street or something, burned out and vacated houses and everything - the whole nine yards. I've never been in a more undesirable location. The smell in the dead of summer was A-W-F-U-L (we were down wind to boot). Probably shaved some minutes off my life expectancy.

EDIT: Found it - check the scale of the couple dozen shitter vats versus the size of the houses. Also right next to the gem that is Zug lsland... which is essentially a lump of coal.

image.thumb.png.17ee0eafe6afa09780bae14e473b22ad.png

I guess the island itself was probably also contributing to the smells (tasty)...

One of the most pressing problems in the neighborhoods surrounding Zug Island is poor air quality. According to an article in the January 20, 2010, edition of the Detroit Free Press, the neighborhoods around the area compose six of the ten most polluted zip codes in Michigan. In the article, residents cite air quality samples containing lead and high levels of methyl ethyl ketone, large numbers of cancer and asthma cases, and foul smells with "sparkly" dust that must be removed with toilet cleaner.[6] Interviewed separately, residents of the area say the foul smells are strong enough to cause dry heaves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zug_Island

Yuck, I know how that feels, or, smells lol.  When I was in comm school I was stationed at 29 Palms, California.  Its in the middle of the Mojave Desert.  The base has a series of sewage lakes, called Lake Bandini, that stinks to high hell in the 100 degree summers.  I am sure it stinks most of the year but I was only there during the summer months.
Stumps.thumb.jpg.b9a94cb7741b73c99d6d2965534f1c38.jpg

Not too bad. Mid November in NJ - so dirt lawn until spring. You could lay some seed matting down until spring. Help with erosion and appearance. We install it on the highways when done. 

Or sod it. Sodding when its dormant is actually a good time to do it.

Remember that fake hair spray? Some of that and some green Krylon... you'll be looking like RFK.

Pin on GO WASHINGTON GO!

Top 30 Aerosol Cans GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

• Haha 2

On 11/12/2021 at 6:41 PM, Mike24 said:

@MTH are you speaking of the one in Swedesboro?  If so that MFer reeks. 

Actually the one in Paulsboro. Paulsboro smells anyway. This is on Paradise Road between Paulsboro and WD. Crappy name? GCUA has numerous facilities in the county though.

New Jersey Infrastructure Bank

• Like 1