Brown 2400CA with Russian Spec and Hockey in Hong Kong

Rayzilla

4 hours ago, Brewskee69 said:

You by any chance play with any HK national team guys up there? A friend of mine use to play for HK and is living there right now, I also shoot around with one guy here in Vancouver. 

Yes. I play with and against many of the HK national team players here both players and goalies. Which one of them is the one in Vancouver now? 

There are a few guys from Vancouver that used to come here to play in the international tournament pre-Covid. It was a pretty big tournament with teams from all over the world including Europe, Asia and many North American players. We've even had a few former NHLers participate in the past. 

1 hour ago, Rayzilla said:

Yes. I play with and against many of the HK national team players here both players and goalies. Which one of them is the one in Vancouver now? 

There are a few guys from Vancouver that used to come here to play in the international tournament pre-Covid. It was a pretty big tournament with teams from all over the world including Europe, Asia and many North American players. We've even had a few former NHLers participate in the past. 

Nice, its great to see that hockey is alive and well over there. 

The guy I see out here is named Howard (Howie) and the buddy of mine out your way is named Jasper.

On 11/20/2021 at 9:08 AM, Brewskee69 said:

Nice, its great to see that hockey is alive and well over there. 

The guy I see out here is named Howard (Howie) and the buddy of mine out your way is named Jasper.

Ask Howie if he has ever come to Hong Kong for the Hockey 5s. I actually played for one of the Vancouver group of guys. 

Jasper was on my team last year on the Gaggia team. He now works for Gaggia, which is a coffee company. He also became a father recently so congrats to him.

On 11/20/2021 at 7:19 PM, Rayzilla said:

Ask Howie if he has ever come to Hong Kong for the Hockey 5s. I actually played for one of the Vancouver group of guys. 

Jasper was on my team last year on the Gaggia team. He now works for Gaggia, which is a coffee company. He also became a father recently so congrats to him.

Small world eh. Yea I saw he and his wife have a baby boy now, he use to light me up during our old roller days. 

• Haha 1

On 11/15/2021 at 8:28 AM, Rayzilla said:

Sounds like both of you like the waist straps fairly on the tight side

Somewhat tight to prevent too much movement of the C/A during play.

On 11/19/2021 at 6:41 AM, Rayzilla said:

Just curious how tight do you guys do up the straps on the arm. There are four sections straps:

1) The elbow floaters that are attached by the velcro straps,

2) The upper elastic straps behind the biceps,

3) The lower elastic straps just above the wrists, and

4) The velcro straps at the wrist.

Thanks

I recently tightened all the straps around the elbow. My elbow wasn't landing in the elbow cup anymore. The elastics are stretched out because the unit is old (c.2006 JB2100). The wrist strap tends to come undone from time to time. I have to make sure the stray straps from the elbow don't interfere when I strap the wrist strap together. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Somewhat tight to prevent too much movement of the C/A during play.

I recently tightened all the straps around the elbow. My elbow wasn't landing in the elbow cup anymore. The elastics are stretched out because the unit is old (c.2006 JB2100). The wrist strap tends to come undone from time to time. I have to make sure the stray straps from the elbow don't interfere when I strap the wrist strap together. 

Thanks Willy.

I took a chance and used it in two games last week. On the first game, I felt a little off. I found that my angles were quite off. Not sure if I am using the new chesty as an excuse 😅 or I was just plain awful. Took the chesty home (I keep my equipment in a locker at the rink) to make some adjustments to the straps. I tightened up the elbow straps since I did not make any adjustments to them prior to that. And on the wrist straps, I think I did them up too tight last time and that combined with loose elbow straps did not work well together.

I also changed the hook/holes that the back straps go through. I changed the upper one to go through the two hook/holes at the very top and left the lower straps going through all of the lower hook/holes. The hope is that this would pull the back of the chesty down causing the front to pull up. 

With these changes, the unit as a whole felt much better and I played a much better game overall. TBH, it didn't feel too bulky and awkward anymore. Looking forward to a shinny game this weekend (very rare to have shinny ice time here in HK) where I will get a chance to make adjustments when I sit out in the three goalie rotation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rayzilla said:

Thanks Willy.

I took a chance and used it in two games last week. On the first game, I felt a little off. I found that my angles were quite off. Not sure if I am using the new chesty as an excuse 😅 or I was just plain awful. Took the chesty home (I keep my equipment in a locker at the rink) to make some adjustments to the straps. I tightened up the elbow straps since I did not make any adjustments to them prior to that. And on the wrist straps, I think I did them up too tight last time and that combined with loose elbow straps did not work well together.

I also changed the hook/holes that the back straps go through. I changed the upper one to go through the two hook/holes at the very top and left the lower straps going through all of the lower hook/holes. The hope is that this would pull the back of the chesty down causing the front to pull up. 

With these changes, the unit as a whole felt much better and I played a much better game overall. TBH, it didn't feel too bulky and awkward anymore. Looking forward to a shinny game this weekend (very rare to have shinny ice time here in HK) where I will get a chance to make adjustments when I sit out in the three goalie rotation.

I moved the waist straps up on the back plate as well too.  I also used to use a carabiner to clip the back plate to the back of my goal pants for the same reasons.  keeping the front up and the back down.  I have since had a strap and buckle added to the backplate specifically for this reason.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rayzilla said:

Thanks Willy.

I also am using the carabiner clip. I attached a suspender loop to the back suspender buttons to attach to. 
253CF6E2-CBC8-4B24-B738-CB67135F4349.thumb.jpeg.22ded5d90ceda5f013ef30cb367540a4.jpeg

90414B5F-A84D-4863-B786-10C61733E6D0.thumb.jpeg.1ea051113fc178336e4bfe9d6b4ce822.jpeg

4 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I moved the waist straps up on the back plate as well too.  I also used to use a carabiner to clip the back plate to the back of my goal pants for the same reasons.  keeping the front up and the back down.  I have since had a strap and buckle added to the backplate specifically for this reason.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I have used the 2400CA in about 4-5 games and it is feeling quite comfortable now. I have had a few hard shots try to squeeze between my arms/elbows and body but not much of a chance that they will go through. I feel so safe with this on me. 

I have not had any issues with the upper back neck and front neck. I find it most comfortable with the lower body straps not being tight at all but I like the arms to be tight and very snug. Maybe later as it continues to work in, I will experiment with tightening the lower body straps.

I am super happy with this purchase and very glad that I said what the heck and went all the way for this beast of a chesty.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2021 at 9:59 AM, Rayzilla said:

So I have used the 2400CA in about 4-5 games and it is feeling quite comfortable now. I have had a few hard shots try to squeeze between my arms/elbows and body but not much of a chance that they will go through. I feel so safe with this on me. 

I have not had any issues with the upper back neck and front neck. I find it most comfortable with the lower body straps not being tight at all but I like the arms to be tight and very snug. Maybe later as it continues to work in, I will experiment with tightening the lower body straps.

I am super happy with this purchase and very glad that I said what the heck and went all the way for this beast of a chesty.

Happy it is working out for you, Ray!

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Sports activities have been on hold since January 7th. The rinks are finally opening up again this Thursday and I've been asked to cover for another game that night too. Not sure if it is wise for me to say "yes" but I did. 

I'm going to start up another thread as I suddenly have an interest to buy a new set of pads and gloves. I'm out of touch with what's available these days and I want to try something new. Hope you all can help me get up to speed and make an appropriate decision.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 6/12/2022 at 11:30 PM, WillyGrips13 said:

How is the chest protector doing? Still playing or have there been further shutdowns? 

Sorry for the long delay in replying, Willy. We returned to the ice to finish the season in May/early June. Unfortunately, I strained my MCL and I'm still waiting for a full recovery. I foolishly re-injured it in October and so it's still not ready. I did an MRI in early October but it still doesn't feel right. So, sadly I do not have much update to make on this chesty. I'm dying to get back on the ice because things at work are not going so well. 

Edited by Rayzilla