Jump to content

Brown 2400CA with Russian Spec and Hockey in Hong Kong


Rayzilla
 Share

Recommended Posts

This thread will be a review of the Brown 2400CA with Russian Spec chest arm protector that I just ordered from John Brown Custom Sporting Equipment Limited. And if you are interested in hearing about what hockey life is like in another part of the world, Hong Kong then you can pop back every once in a while to see what's up.

Details on the 2400CA order and if John has to time to send me some work in process photos, I'll post them here to share with you all.

I've signed up for two different leagues for this coming season. The opening night for the CIHL is Saturday 25 September while the opening night for the SCIHL Division 1 is Thursday 30 September. I'll post some more about these leagues in the next few days when I get some free time.

Thanks for visiting.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Ok. Finally straightened out the payment with John for the 2400CA. Initially a payment was made on September 17th but for unknown reasons, the bank later returned the money to me less about $25 to $40 CDN. Still no reason given for that yet. So just the other day another payment was sent via Interac online and John confirmed that this time he received the money. He will be starting on it this week and will have it ready to ship within a week.

I'll post some photos when he sends me any updates on it. 

Here is a photo of my first season here in Hong Kong. This was for the All-Stars game. I think I started my first season in Division 2 and then I think I went up to Division 1 in the following season.

I'll try to find some photos of this rink, which sits on the 10th floor of a shopping mall and that huge glass window in the back looks out to Hong Kong Harbour and the Hong Kong Island skyline. It's got to be one of the nicest views in the world for a hockey rink. I think I posted photos of this rink back in the Goaliestore.com days.

2009-2010 D2 All-Star Team Photo 2.JPG

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, dreadlocked1 said:

Which goalie are you?

Hey, I think I know you. Are you Dreadlock from GSBB? I am pretty sure we met up and you didn't look exactly like what imagined based on your user name. lol. Then again, I don't think I look like some kind of reptilian monster either. lol. If that's you, I remember that you were pretty good. ;)

I'm the Asian goalie in the middle with the striped Coors Light jersey.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm embarrassed, I think I've been hit in the head one too many times and I don't remember this meeting. Yes I was back on the gsbb and your username is very familiar now.  But where did we meet at if you're in Hong Kong?  IL or WI?  There is/was another Dreadlocked goalie on the GSBB and here.  Pretty good?  Must be the other guy 😉

Edited by dreadlocked1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dreadlocked1 said:

I'm embarrassed, I think I've been hit in the head one too many times and I don't remember this meeting. Yes I was back on the gsbb and your username is very familiar now.  But where did we meet at if you're in Hong Kong?  IL or WI?  There is/was another Dreadlocked goalie on the GSBB and here.  Pretty good?  Must be the other guy 😉

IIRC @Rayzilla had a very bouncy GSBB avatar

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dreadlocked1 said:

I'm embarrassed, I think I've been hit in the head one too many times and I don't remember this meeting. Yes I was back on the gsbb and your username is very familiar now.  But where did we meet at if you're in Hong Kong?  IL or WI?  There is/was another Dreadlocked goalie on the GSBB and here.  Pretty good?  Must be the other guy 😉

I was born and lived most of my life in Toronto. I'm older than most of you guys and when I met Dreadlock Goalie, I imagined a guy that really had dreadlocks. I can't remember if I met him at one of Dave's goalie training camps or somewhere else. Another possibility was that I put out a call for a goalie to cover my spot or the other goalie's spot for one of my weekly games? Or to hand off one of those custom goalie jerseys that we organised back at GSBB. We did a few custom jerseys such as the tuxedo jerseys and the GSBB jerseys where we decided on a few different designs. Those were the days...

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Scythe said:

How in the world can an ice rink be put on a 10th floor? Would like to see that in person.  

I tried looking for photos that I took of the view from the benches that are located where the windows are but I couldn't find them. I found this one the web but it's not the best but gives you an idea.

It's a shopping mall and office tower all in one. Even the parking lot goes all the way up to the 12th floor or so.

 

Screenshot 2021-10-12 at 12.10.18 AM.png

Screenshot 2021-10-12 at 12.12.57 AM.png

Screenshot 2021-10-12 at 12.16.32 AM.png

Screenshot 2021-10-12 at 12.20.42 AM.png

Edited by Rayzilla
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Seriously.  That's a lot of heat rising up under that ice.  

If you have ever been in the shopping malls in Hong Kong, heat is never a problem. You need to bring a jacket to go into the shopping malls, movie cinemas, and restaurants. You go to the rink to warm up. lol

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rayzilla said:

I was born and lived most of my life in Toronto. I'm older than most of you guys and when I met Dreadlock Goalie, I imagined a guy that really had dreadlocks. I can't remember if I met him at one of Dave's goalie training camps or somewhere else. Another possibility was that I put out a call for a goalie to cover my spot or the other goalie's spot for one of my weekly games? Or to hand off one of those custom goalie jerseys that we organised back at GSBB. We did a few custom jerseys such as the tuxedo jerseys and the GSBB jerseys where we decided on a few different designs. Those were the days...

 

It was definitely the other dreadlocked goalie at the GSBB.  I was Dreadlocked1 and mine is from the band I was in a long time ago.  I would have assumed the other had dreadlocks.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rayzilla said:

I tried looking for photos that I took of the view from the benches that are located where the windows are but I couldn't find them. I found this one the web but it's not the best but gives you an idea.

It's a shopping mall and office tower all in one. Even the parking lot goes all the way up to the 12th floor or so.

Screenshot 2021-10-12 at 12.10.18 AM.png

Screenshot 2021-10-12 at 12.12.57 AM.png

Screenshot 2021-10-12 at 12.16.32 AM.png

Screenshot 2021-10-12 at 12.20.42 AM.png

That's really friggin cool

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, dreadlocked1 said:

It was definitely the other dreadlocked goalie at the GSBB.  I was Dreadlocked1 and mine is from the band I was in a long time ago.  I would have assumed the other had dreadlocks.  

No dreadlocks at all on him. I recall he had wavy, medium/longish length, dirty blond hair. lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just got an email from John. He sent me a photo of the cut out pieces that will go on my 2400CA and that it should be completed by the end of this week and shipped immediately after that.

I've been taking this lightly and not thinking about it too much since I have no control over it but seeing these basic cut out pieces in the photo has me thinking about it some more now and getting a little excited.

 

2400CA Cut Out Pieces.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, RichMan said:

@Rayzilla did you rock a Pete Smith set at one time, Whalers colours or Canucks?

I had a big interest in getting some Smith gear but I don't recall pulling the trigger on it. 

My colour combos have typically been white with silver or white with red. Lots of Canucks fans here in Hong Kong though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Rayzilla said:

I had a big interest in getting some Smith gear but I don't recall pulling the trigger on it. 

My colour combos have typically been white with silver or white with red. Lots of Canucks fans here in Hong Kong though.

Sorry man, then it was another Asian goalie brother and I can't remember his name or handle.

Not surprised about the Canucks vibe given the high Asian population in Vancouver. Lots of relatives keeping the fan love going.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, RichMan said:

Sorry man, then it was another Asian goalie brother and I can't remember his name or handle.

Not surprised about the Canucks vibe given the high Asian population in Vancouver. Lots of relatives keeping the fan love going.

Are you in Toronto? If so, where do you tend to play?

I was playing regularly with friends at East York Arena on Friday and Saturday nights. Sometimes I played on Wednesday nights at Seneca College (on Finch).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just received an email today that my 2400CA is starting its way to its new home.

Here are two photos of the finished product. I love the protection on the biceps because I've had multiple bruises in that area and on the outside elbow area in the last two months. This will give me the confidence of protection when facing the guys coming in and winding it up from the slot.

I can't wait. I've heard about some tips of working them in quickly. Since my season has already started, if you care to share your ideas here again I would appreciate it.

DSC02365.jpeg

E6CEFA4C-0C14-41C7-8C12-201AD504920C_1_105_c.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Rayzilla said:

Are you in Toronto? If so, where do you tend to play?

I was playing regularly with friends at East York Arena on Friday and Saturday nights. Sometimes I played on Wednesday nights at Seneca College (on Finch).

I play in Gatineau/Ottawa area. The guy I thought you were was at a clinic I attended in Ottawa a good while back. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Rayzilla said:

Just received an email today that my 2400CA is starting its way to its new home.

Here are two photos of the finished product. I love the protection on the biceps because I've had multiple bruises in that area and on the outside elbow area in the last two months. This will give me the confidence of protection when facing the guys coming in and winding it up from the slot.

I can't wait. I've heard about some tips of working them in quickly. Since my season has already started, if you care to share your ideas here again I would appreciate it.

DSC02365.jpeg

E6CEFA4C-0C14-41C7-8C12-201AD504920C_1_105_c.jpeg

Once you confirm that everything fits the way you want, I would strongly suggest getting it through a few warm/hot showers as soon as you can. This thing is going to be extremely rigid for the first few ice sessions and then begin to loosen up. Tying the arms up with skate laces when drying will help expedite the process. I've got 9 months on my 2400 Russian spec and it has broken in very nicely. Get ready to take shots that you won't even feel. 😎

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, RichMan said:

I play in Gatineau/Ottawa area. The guy I thought you were was at a clinic I attended in Ottawa a good while back. 

I was on a secondment to work in Ottawa way back when I was still working for the government. It was the coldest winter that I ever experienced. There were a few days where it was -50 something. I can't remember if that was with or without the windchill. 🥶

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...