Jump to content

Brown 2400CA with Russian Spec and Hockey in Hong Kong


Rayzilla
 Share

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, bildeer said:

Once you confirm that everything fits the way you want, I would strongly suggest getting it through a few warm/hot showers as soon as you can. This thing is going to be extremely rigid for the first few ice sessions and then begin to loosen up. Tying the arms up with skate laces when drying will help expedite the process. I've got 9 months on my 2400 Russian spec and it has broken in very nicely. Get ready to take shots that you won't even feel. 😎

Ok. I'll do the warm/hot showers trick but not sure how long I will be able to withstand hot showers here in Hong Kong. It's still fairly warm here now. I guess it will still have some breaking in effect if I just leave it hanging on something in the shower with the hot water running?

I'll try the skate laces trick to but maybe it would be better to use some kind of thicker ribbon or belt like strips to keep the arms bent up to spread the tension out more?

I'll keep you posted on how this goes. 

Thanks!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Rayzilla said:

I was on a secondment to work in Ottawa way back when I was still working for the government. It was the coldest winter that I ever experienced. There were a few days where it was -50 something. I can't remember if that was with or without the windchill. 🥶

Yeah, that shit happens here now and then, but it's been a couple winters now that it's tons of snow but higher temperatures. The world is changing man. Anyways, cool to see hockey happening in China. Don't they have a semi-pro or National team now? IIHF?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RichMan said:

Yeah, that shit happens here now and then, but it's been a couple winters now that it's tons of snow but higher temperatures. The world is changing man. Anyways, cool to see hockey happening in China. Don't they have a semi-pro or National team now? IIHF?

Hong Kong has a national team in the IIHF. Need to have a Hong Kong Passport in order to qualify to be on the team. Unfortunately, politics in the game here have prevented the team from being the best that it could be. Barry Beck is one of the coaches here. Hopefully it will start moving in the right direction soon.

I think China has a national team too. They built a record number of hockey rinks throughout the mainland country when they won the rights to host the 2022 Winter Olympics. It will be exciting to see Olympic hockey next year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rayzilla said:

Ok. I'll do the warm/hot showers trick but not sure how long I will be able to withstand hot showers here in Hong Kong. It's still fairly warm here now. I guess it will still have some breaking in effect if I just leave it hanging on something in the shower with the hot water running?

I'll try the skate laces trick to but maybe it would be better to use some kind of thicker ribbon or belt like strips to keep the arms bent up to spread the tension out more?

I'll keep you posted on how this goes. 

Thanks!

This is only my opinion based on what I've seen and think of what will happen during the break in. You don't need the shower to be hottest, but more so you need the unit to be througly wet. That will lubricate every seam and materials so that they'll take their place faster and easier. Also when wet I'd suggest you to do stretching to the unit, like bend your arms as much as you can for a little while, then do the opposite movement and try to work with all the fabric there is. Only moving will do the trick too, but I think it'll be faster when you give it a little stretch and give the materials a short time to "realize" what's happening.

Sort of same thing that you do for your new gloves, first tie it closed for over night with some pressure over maybe, then for the next night put a stick to hold it as open as possible.

The heat itself won't soften anything permanently and you don't want the plastics to soften at all and neither you want the foams to collapse. That's what is protecting you afterall, the rigid plastic parts and thick soft foams!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ArdeFIN said:

This is only my opinion based on what I've seen and think of what will happen during the break in. You don't need the shower to be hottest, but more so you need the unit to be througly wet. That will lubricate every seam and materials so that they'll take their place faster and easier. Also when wet I'd suggest you to do stretching to the unit, like bend your arms as much as you can for a little while, then do the opposite movement and try to work with all the fabric there is. Only moving will do the trick too, but I think it'll be faster when you give it a little stretch and give the materials a short time to "realize" what's happening.

Sort of same thing that you do for your new gloves, first tie it closed for over night with some pressure over maybe, then for the next night put a stick to hold it as open as possible.

The heat itself won't soften anything permanently and you don't want the plastics to soften at all and neither you want the foams to collapse. That's what is protecting you afterall, the rigid plastic parts and thick soft foams!

I say call a buddy over to your place, turn up the thermostats, put the c/a on and engage in 30 minutes of wrestling or jiu-jitsu and let it take its course slowly. Don't forget to fan dry it after or the stink will stick for good :D  

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/16/2021 at 12:04 AM, ArdeFIN said:

This is only my opinion based on what I've seen and think of what will happen during the break in. You don't need the shower to be hottest, but more so you need the unit to be througly wet. That will lubricate every seam and materials so that they'll take their place faster and easier. Also when wet I'd suggest you to do stretching to the unit, like bend your arms as much as you can for a little while, then do the opposite movement and try to work with all the fabric there is. Only moving will do the trick too, but I think it'll be faster when you give it a little stretch and give the materials a short time to "realize" what's happening.

Sort of same thing that you do for your new gloves, first tie it closed for over night with some pressure over maybe, then for the next night put a stick to hold it as open as possible.

The heat itself won't soften anything permanently and you don't want the plastics to soften at all and neither you want the foams to collapse. That's what is protecting you afterall, the rigid plastic parts and thick soft foams!

Thanks so much for your response. It is GOLD!

I like the recommendations that you made but more importantly, the reasons and understanding that supports them. It makes total sense to me and will be exactly what I will be doing when I receive the 2400CA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/16/2021 at 1:35 AM, RichMan said:

I say call a buddy over to your place, turn up the thermostats, put the c/a on and engage in 30 minutes of wrestling or jiu-jitsu and let it take its course slowly. Don't forget to fan dry it after or the stink will stick for good :D  

Ha! I think I will give ArdeFIN's recommendation a try first and then I will consider your suggestion. 😅

I will fan dry it after but if I am just soaking up in the shower with it and not sweating it up, will it actually still stink afterwards if it were not fan dried? I didn't think just water would do that but I don't know for sure because I never tried that before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rayzilla said:

Ha! I think I will give ArdeFIN's recommendation a try first and then I will consider your suggestion. 😅

I will fan dry it after but if I am just soaking up in the shower with it and not sweating it up, will it actually still stink afterwards if it were not fan dried? I didn't think just water would do that but I don't know for sure because I never tried that before.

Just water won't give it the stank virus but not drying it with a fan right after could result in mold issues. I lost my JB unit because of that, and just by having it stored away in a basement during the off season. Even mild humidity or dampness can mess up your gear. Don't forget that there is plastic in his units and that can prevent all the water and moisture to evaporate properly if just air dried.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RichMan said:

Just water won't give it the stank virus but not drying it with a fan right after could result in mold issues. I lost my JB unit because of that, and just by having it stored away in a basement during the off season. Even mild humidity or dampness can mess up your gear. Don't forget that there is plastic in his units and that can prevent all the water and moisture to evaporate properly if just air dried.

Thanks. That's good to know and hear about your experiences.

Here in Hong Kong, the summers get very humid. I keep my equipment stored in a locker at the local rink. By the way, I'll need to show you guys some photos of the new rink that just opened up near to my home. More on that later.

Do you think it is ok to bring it home to give it a rinse in the shower without using any detergent? Just to rinse away some of the sweat that has built up over time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Rayzilla said:

Thanks. That's good to know and hear about your experiences.

Here in Hong Kong, the summers get very humid. I keep my equipment stored in a locker at the local rink. By the way, I'll need to show you guys some photos of the new rink that just opened up near to my home. More on that later.

Do you think it is ok to bring it home to give it a rinse in the shower without using any detergent? Just to rinse away some of the sweat that has built up over time.

If you play a lot or are a strong odour kind of guy, rinsing it once a month is a good idea. Otherwise, a good soak 2-3 times a year is fine. You could even get away with just at the end of the season, especially if you fan dry your gear after every use, but it doesn't seem to be the option in your case.

I rarely ever hang around or go eating/drinking after my games. That gives me time to get home, unpack and set up my main gear on my fan rack to dry overnight. No stink whatsoever aside from a delicate hockey smell. I rinse out my Maltese collar and my mask and let them drip in the tub until morning when I transfer them to the fan rack. The under garments, garters, jersey, socks and towels get washed and dried immediately, no morning after shit. This routine has aloud me to keep my gear in top shape for long periods of time, keeps the apartment odourless, the girlfriend happy and won't suffocate the change room occupants upon opening my bag (I can't stand when that happens from others), and not to mention will also avoid any skin issues or infections that can arise.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, RichMan said:

If you play a lot or are a strong odour kind of guy, rinsing it once a month is a good idea. Otherwise, a good soak 2-3 times a year is fine. You could even get away with just at the end of the season, especially if you fan dry your gear after every use, but it doesn't seem to be the option in your case.

I rarely ever hang around or go eating/drinking after my games. That gives me time to get home, unpack and set up my main gear on my fan rack to dry overnight. No stink whatsoever aside from a delicate hockey smell. I rinse out my Maltese collar and my mask and let them drip in the tub until morning when I transfer them to the fan rack. The under garments, garters, jersey, socks and towels get washed and dried immediately, no morning after shit. This routine has aloud me to keep my gear in top shape for long periods of time, keeps the apartment odourless, the girlfriend happy and won't suffocate the change room occupants upon opening my bag (I can't stand when that happens from others), and not to mention will also avoid any skin issues or infections that can arise.  

That's a solid routine you have there.

I'm lucky in that I am not a strong odour guy. I think I will be fine with the once or twice each year rinse even though my equipment is stored in a locker at the rink. I will see what the new locker will be like but the one that it is in now is completely wire/cage enclosure so the ventilation is as good as can be. The new lockers are way bigger but is shaped like a morgue where only the front door is wire/cage. I'll get a photo of the locker when I get the chance.

Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Although it's not good news, I appreciate the consistent and timely replies and messages from John regarding my order. He had the unit made very quickly but the delivery is being delayed by the courier, which is out of John's hands. The courier needs to wait until there is enough items to ship it since there are less deliveries coming this way these days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rayzilla said:

Although it's not good news, I appreciate the consistent and timely replies and messages from John regarding my order. He had the unit made very quickly but the delivery is being delayed by the courier, which is out of John's hands. The courier needs to wait until there is enough items to ship it since there are less deliveries coming this way these days.

nooo GIF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Rayzilla said:

Although it's not good news, I appreciate the consistent and timely replies and messages from John regarding my order. He had the unit made very quickly but the delivery is being delayed by the courier, which is out of John's hands. The courier needs to wait until there is enough items to ship it since there are less deliveries coming this way these days.

Are you saying more exports than imports? China? Naw, can't be ;) :P 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...