Belmont new Islanders Home

estogoalie

Although the upper seating in the Winnipeg arena was behind the press boxes. Yes, behind.

fubar: Jabroni's photo -- Inside the old Winnipeg arena

My knees would be wobbly in those seats. Yikes!

You could really see the press box vs. the upper seats when they were tearing the place down:

The dismantling of Winnipeg Arena: Winnipeg

Edited by MTH

I generally don't like big arenas. I prefer to see bands in smaller venues/clubs, and most (non-NHL) hockey games I see are around 4-5,000 seats or less.

I saw a NJ Devils home game a few years ago, nose-bleed seats, I couldn't see much and my wife was scared of the height and didn't really enjoy it, LOL. The cheap-seats in the Garden or Collesium somehow didn't seem as bad, from what I remember (haven't been there in 15-20 years)

Those Chase bridges are nuts. When do they sell spots on the roof where you lay down and look through windows?

Under ice seats?

I thought by now in person attendance would start to wain for all sports. TV is really good. Tickets are really expensive. Watching live sports on TV with a full house is way better (as we all learned from covid). So I'm happy that people are still going.

The 80-90s was a magical time in the NHL. You had the game at it's peak in popularity while the teams were still using their old arenas. What a fun time to be a fan. Much like NASCAR, the owners built new places while their product was hot. Chicken or egg - but the interest has come back some and the huge arenas are a burden now.

Personally, I hope that the trend will push to smaller but modern arenas. Some personality in these rinks would be nice. Tough to put the toothpaste back in the tube though.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, estogoalie said:

I generally don't like big arenas. I prefer to see bands in smaller venues/clubs, and most (non-NHL) hockey games I see are around 4-5,000 seats or less.

I saw a NJ Devils home game a few years ago, nose-bleed seats, I couldn't see much and my wife was scared of the height and didn't really enjoy it, LOL. The cheap-seats in the Garden or Collesium somehow didn't seem as bad, from what I remember (haven't been there in 15-20 years)

When I was a little dude, I was scared to cheer while in the 3rd deck at the old Spectrum. 

GAG BANNER HONORS FLYERS' ICE CREW MEMBER TOM DORFF WHO KEPT THE ARENA FOG  FREE DURING THE FLYERS/BUFFALO SABERS SERIES (MAY 1975) | Shooting Stars:  My Spectrum Memories in Photos and Words

(picture of the stands - not sure who Roger Barone is. Looks like he photoshopped in a suite too.)

You had to walk up the isle for the entire 2nd deck to get to the steps that lead up to the third deck balcony that was added after the arena was open for a few years. I think there was 5 rows of seats up there.

File:Last Stroll at the Wachovia Spectrum (4040772669).jpg - Wikimedia  Commons

Here's a picture where you could see the third deck in relation to the second deck. The staircase to the third are in the supports for the third deck. You can see how the isle went around it. You then had to walk on the top row of the second to get into the stairs for the third deck. Best part was that there were seats still behind the staircases. ha ha.

I think some of the portals to the second deck were reduced with added seats. You can see the boxed in seats around the portal. I think they were larger and over years, seats were added. 

The second deck emptied to the single concourse around the stadium. So it was packed before and after games. Kids today don't know how nice they have it.

Edited by MTH

6 hours ago, MTH said:

GAG BANNER HONORS FLYERS' ICE CREW MEMBER TOM DORFF WHO KEPT THE ARENA FOG  FREE DURING THE FLYERS/BUFFALO SABERS SERIES (MAY 1975) | Shooting Stars:  My Spectrum Memories in Photos and Words

(picture of the stands - not sure who Roger Barone is. Looks like he photoshopped in a suite too.)

Copyright date on the photo says 1975... so the suite pimping his website is either definitely photoshopped, or I need to contact this guy and ask him about next weeks lotto numbers ;)

...and wait, what's this banner that says "Don't give up"? ...Philly got the best fans LOL

• Haha 1