Death Metal

The Teal Terror

80's rock/metal mostly. Metallica and Slayer is about as heavy as I go. Pre-game is AC/DC and Rhino Bucket.

What happened to rock/metal anyway? Tons of good bands in the 70's/80's/90's but nothing much in the last 20 years, just some random stuff here and there, but no big movement on the whole :( 

near-death-metal-24437116.png&f=1&nofb=1

Edited by estogoalie
  • Like 2

Great thread. I enjoy many forms of music including many of the sub-genres of heavy metal. And each sub-genre has even more sub-genres. Example: Metal>Death Metal>Melodic Death Metal>Swedish Melodic Death Metal AKA The Gothenburg Sound: In Flames.

Years ago I was content just listening to the music I had in my library and wasn't interest in new music. So for death metal it was Morbid Angel, Deicide, and others like that. Some melodic bands like In Flames and Arch Enemy. Music that had a symphonic element or straddled Black metal like Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth. Industrial feel like Fear Factory and Strapping Young Lad.

Then a friend at work who was into extreme forms of metal/metal-core got me into trying newer bands. This was around the time streaming services were becoming popular. I ended up subscribing to Apple Music which allows me to listen to anything at any time. Some of his suggestions include: Rings of Saturn, Belzebubs, Inferi, Archspire, Fit for an Autopsy, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Beyond Creation, among others.

Apple Music sends out New Music playlists each week based on my preferences, so I hear new artists all the time. I actually have a long list I add new bands to in my Notes app. Social media is also good for learning of newer bands. Some bands that come to mind are Obscura, Decrepit Birth, Anaal Nathrakt, Black Dahlia Murder.

Of course, I also listen to other forms of metal and other genres unrelated to metal, even pop music. Dragonforce, Beast in Black, Lady Gaga, Coldplay, etc.

There's great music out there. It's just accessible differently today. The old way of turning on terrestrial radio is not the way to get a good idea of the scope of all your options. Satellite radio, streaming services and social media will open many doors of options.

1667677000_ScreenShot2021-09-30at2_50_29PM.thumb.png.16ca747775a13d82248dbe4ed0581ea2.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yeh, I get that. My old CD collection of near 509 CDs was predominantly death and its sub sub genres. When I finally parted ways with it, I gave in to the streaming platforms. My taste had always been varied, but I think since using streaming, it’s changed a lot. 

But a huge nod to Morbid Angel and Deicide. Archspire blew my mind first listen!

The technical skill required to play most of this music is mind-blowing. Play-through videos show how skilled these artists are. Young musicians have greater, easily accessible resources to learn in today's modern world. Similar to goaltending, there are new techniques that musicians use to play better and faster. They can also earn money by playing live to an online audience who give donations. I like the drummer 66Samus who creates Youtube videos and streams on Twitch. 

I didn't mention before, I also listen to the legends of the '80s and '90s. Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, Sepultura, Testament, Pantera, White Zombie, Type O Negative, Life of Agony, Biohazard. Their predecessors Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden. I should listen to more Judas Priest. '00s and '10s bands like Five Finger Death Punch, Volbeat and Alterbridge. Of course, the hard rock classics like AC/DC and Led Zeppelin.

I'm sure I'm leaving out a ton of bands.

1013332461_ScreenShot2021-09-30at4_50_43PM.thumb.png.7ecf0b252967881563c510765660016a.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

The technical skill required to play most of this music is mind-blowing. Play-through videos show how skilled these artists are. Young musicians have greater, easily accessible resources to learn in today's modern world. Similar to goaltending, there are new techniques that musicians use to play better and faster. They can also earn money by playing live to an online audience who give donations. I like the drummer 66Samus who creates Youtube videos and streams on Twitch. 

I didn't mention before, I also listen to the legends of the '80s and '90s. Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, Sepultura, Testament, Pantera, White Zombie, Type O Negative, Life of Agony, Biohazard. Their predecessors Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden. I should listen to more Judas Priest. '00s and '10s bands like Five Finger Death Punch, Volbeat and Alterbridge. Of course, the hard rock classics like AC/DC and Led Zeppelin.

I'm sure I'm leaving out a ton of bands.

1013332461_ScreenShot2021-09-30at4_50_43PM.thumb.png.7ecf0b252967881563c510765660016a.png

I do enjoy 66Samus from time to time! I do like my 80s thrash for sure. Nuclear Assault, Demolition Hammer to stray from the Big 5. Even Immortal! They were fun live.

I can never keep up with all the subgenres in metal. I can hear the differences, I couldn't ever tell you what they're called though.

I've got such a random plethora of metal bands that it's tough to go: here is what I listen to. But I'll list a few to show off my hipster status.

Chimaira
Lamb of God
Aphyxion
At the Gates
ISIS
Obituary
Opeth
Rivers of Nihil
etc.

14 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I can never keep up with all the subgenres in metal. I can hear the differences, I couldn't ever tell you what they're called though.

I've got such a random plethora of metal bands that it's tough to go: here is what I listen to. But I'll list a few to show off my hipster status.

Chimaira
Lamb of God
Aphyxion
At the Gates
ISIS
Obituary
Opeth
Rivers of Nihil
etc.

Hipster status 😆. Each to there own! But I can get on board with Chimaira, Opeth, Obituary for sure.

2 hours ago, Scythe said:

I'm mostly old school so Judas Priest is still my favorite metal.. GZR too..  hate to date myself but I saw Accept in 83 at a small club.. 

Listened to Painkiller on my way to work this morning... followed up by Cody Jinks LOL.  Yep, my playlists are all over the place.

• Like 1

Here's a few screenshots of what I have downloaded to ensure I can play on the way to and stretching/dressing before a skate (kids take over the spotify sometimes).  Not nearly everything I listen to (grew up on Metallica, Sepultura, Pantera, and Megadeth) just some of the heaviest.  I refer to technical metal as musician's music since I wouldn't expect a normy to get or appreciate it.  Was basically in a band as a guitarist in between my goalie life of 8-15 and 25 to present.

Screenshot_2021-10-02-12-40-32.png

Screenshot_2021-10-02-12-40-49.png

Screenshot_2021-10-02-12-40-57.png

On 10/2/2021 at 6:47 PM, dreadlocked1 said:

Here's a few screenshots of what I have downloaded to ensure I can play on the way to and stretching/dressing before a skate (kids take over the spotify sometimes).  Not nearly everything I listen to (grew up on Metallica, Sepultura, Pantera, and Megadeth) just some of the heaviest.  I refer to technical metal as musician's music since I wouldn't expect a normy to get or appreciate it.  Was basically in a band as a guitarist in between my goalie life of 8-15 and 25 to present.

Screenshot_2021-10-02-12-40-32.png

Screenshot_2021-10-02-12-40-49.png

Screenshot_2021-10-02-12-40-57.png

Cool, cool. If you like it techy, check out Blade of Horus, Archspire, recent Deeds of Flesh, Obscura!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, motowngoalie said:

Great thread. I listen to pretty much anything so glad to see some stuff I haven't heard of. Just checked out Archspire, woooow. Mind blown. 

A Warrior's Call by Volbeat is my kid's favorite pump up song, the "Fight! Fight!" chorus gets em every time. 

Archspire! I felt the same way!

Forgot to mention; Nile, Inanimate Existence, Severed Savior, Brain Drill, Viraemia, Necrophagist!