Carey Price enters Player Assistance Program

seagoal

Breaking news on Carey Price

https://www.nhl.com/news/carey-price-enters-nhl-nhlpa-player-assistance-program/c-326653960

The NHL/NHLPA Player Assistance Program offers voluntary counseling services for any player struggling with substance abuse or mental health issues with either themselves or their families.  It is a contractual benefit offered to the players with, I believe, a paid leave of absence.

image.thumb.png.e39b97ba4f4af8c9497f50f19c00f4eb.png

Edited by seagoal

39 minutes ago, RichMan said:

Not to dig too much into it, I am curious if it's stress related or what? He always has a laid back demeanor on and off the ice.

Sometimes guys are going through it and never talk with someone else about it, just letting it build up and eventually cracking. I have no idea what’s going on for sure but that’s my best guess. Speaking from experience. 

Edited by ThatCarGuy

15 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Sometimes guys are going through it and never talk with someone else about it, just letting it build up and eventually cracking. I have no idea what’s going on for sure but that’s my best guess. Speaking from experience. 

I read an article earlier yesterday with a quote from either the current or former Montreal goalie coach(?) - can't find the article anymore and the dude's name escapes me right now

Said it has nothing to do with drugs or alcohol.  Getting to the Final last season and not winning took a toll on him

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

I read an article earlier yesterday with a quote from either the current or former Montreal goalie coach(?) - can't find the article anymore and the dude's name escapes me right now

Said it has nothing to do with drugs or alcohol.  Getting to the Final last season and not winning took a toll on him

That, plus his injuries, seems to have taken a toll on his mental health. Glad he's taking some time to get help.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, RichMan said:

Game and personal pressure. It's not all roses and butter tarts at the top. Lots of money and fame but a shit load of expectations and pressure.

Looking  at how Allen is struggling right now, we're gonna miss Price a WHOLE lot!

All the best to Price, he's true legend. Allen has had that habit of struggling when he's given the crease. Should be interesting to see how he handles being the guy (for now) in the pressure cooker of Montreal.

Hope he is ok and glad that he's getting the help he needs. Never heard a bad word about him re drugs or alcohol. Have to think he's under enormous pressure. He's been The Man there for a long time now. Injuries and all that goes with being the The Goalie for Le Habs has to be difficult. Putting aside the black and white days of Plante et al, only 3 men have been able to handle the job for a long period of time: Dryden, Roy, and Price. 

On 10/8/2021 at 10:41 PM, Chenner29 said:

I didn't follow it closely but I would think that exposing him for the expansion draft after all that he did for them in the playoffs is a bit of a sting even if there was a super low possibility that he would have been selected. Even if it had to be done to protect the chance of losing Allen. But maybe there was a full explanation that it was the right move. I'm just wondering out loud I guess...

On 10/9/2021 at 1:16 PM, Fullright said:

Hope he is ok and glad that he's getting the help he needs. Never heard a bad word about him re drugs or alcohol. Have to think he's under enormous pressure. He's been The Man there for a long time now. Injuries and all that goes with being the The Goalie for Le Habs has to be difficult. Putting aside the black and white days of Plante et al, only 3 men have been able to handle the job for a long period of time: Dryden, Roy, and Price. 

And of those 3, only Price has stuck it out.  Dryden retired early, and Roy gave up on the team saying "trade me right fucking now".

9 hours ago, Rayzilla said:

I didn't follow it closely but I would think that exposing him for the expansion draft after all that he did for them in the playoffs is a bit of a sting even if there was a super low possibility that he would have been selected. Even if it had to be done to protect the chance of losing Allen. But maybe there was a full explanation that it was the right move. I'm just wondering out loud I guess...

He actually was exposed with his permission, as he waived his no movement clause to be eligible. His wifes family is from Washington State, and they were interested in relocationg there with his family to be closer to hers. If anything, it was a bummer he WASNT selected by Seattle in the expansion draft. The media narative was he allowed himself to be exposed with the idea that due to his injuries Seattle would'nt take him and his high salary, and they were able to protect jake Allen as a result.

• 5 weeks later...

Residential drug rehab means heavy problems. Any time you’re in patient, it’s truly serious stuff. Being ‘the guy’ has taken its toll, apparently. If he would’ve been picked up by the Kraken, it would’ve delayed the inevitable. Hope he stays clean. Tough hill to climb for certain.

Edited by bunnyman666

On 10/10/2021 at 11:28 AM, Chenner29 said:

I suppose this is a lesson to not listen to anyone's statement except the one from the actual person involved. And a good reminder that a person saying "well I never saw them do XYZ" does not mean XYZ did not occur.