Team Pics

estogoalie

On 4/16/2021 at 10:48 AM, coopaloop1234 said:

I don't see it.

cat-flea-500px.jpg.431f0b4a50b7f443365ea8e1c4bc3356.jpg

Smartass lol

On 4/16/2021 at 2:30 PM, mr_shifty1982 said:

No haha but all I see is my baby face in this picture and I'm 39 🤣🤣

I've gotten Mr Shifty in my early days, that's where the name is from, the spiked hair etc.

Who is Mr Shifty?  I will have to google that.

• Like 1

My newish team, the Long Island Warriors.  We're an all Veteran team with players from all branches of the US Military.  We're technically affiliated with the NY Islanders, as most Warrior programs are affiliated with a local NHL club.  There are a lot of well established clubs in the Warrior program throughout the states, though ours is still in its infancy.  We're hoping to really take off going forward.

It started as a learn to play program to get veterans on the ice and establish a comradery.  It has blown up quite a bit.  I think we now have somewhere in the range of thirty to forty players on the roster.  Along with the learn to play, we have just finished our inaugural beer league season.  The team did quite well, ending the season 6-4 after getting blown out something like 10-1 in the very first game( I am not playing on the beer league team lol).  In that game I remember there being 4 fwd lines, 3 d pairs, and 2 goalies(LOL).  And still had to have players volunteer to healthy scratch themselves.  They ended the season last night with a first round playoff loss, 4-3.

As of now most of the more advanced players, myself included, have not participated in most of the beer league games so that there is room for the other guys to play.  With the overwhelming amount of interest in the club, there will be two teams entered into the same men's league.  One for the more advanced players and one for the novice players, though there will be some blending to fill out the lineups as needed.    

The overall goal is to have two travel teams, again one competitive and one novice, to compete against other Warrior programs.  We have one team right now and have played 2 such games thus far.  We traveled down to southern New Jersey last month to play in our very first Warrior game against the Philadelphia Flyers Warriors.  We beat them 9-3.  These guys get A LOT of love from the Flyers.  I saw on their IG that they just received $25k from the Flyers Alumni Association.  All we have gotten from the Islanders so far is a free team practice 1-2 times per month at their practice facility(which is also a local public rink so they're really just letting us practice for free) and having Aaron Asham skate with us to run drills.  They're supposedly footing the bill for NHL Adidas game jerseys for us but its been more than a month since we last had any word on that. 

Last weekend we traveled down the Washington DC area to play the District Warriors, we manhandled them 9-0.  To their credit, they were pretty undermanned as a lot of them are DC cops and there were many guys called into work due to local protests.  One of their men also succumbed to his own mental battles a few weeks ago and this was their first game since losing their brother.  We had a moment of silence for him prior to the game.

I have been wanting a team like this for a several years, ever since I found out about a California based Veteran team called the Patriots.  Personally, I am excited to see where this goes.  We have been invited to play in a tournament next month in Pennsylvania.  I think it is mostly first responders teams and possibly a few other Warrior teams as well.  We will also be participating in the Warrior Classic in November.  It is a national tournament where all of the Warrior teams gather to compete against each other.

This was Philadelphia postgame
TEAM.JPG

This was DC postgame
IMG_5020 (1).jpg

And yes...a little bit of me dies inside every time I have to wear Islanders colors lol.  I feel better about myself and call them Oilers colors whenever someone comments about it hahaha.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

My newish team, the Long Island Warriors.  We're an all Veteran team with players from all branches of the US Military.  We're technically affiliated with the NY Islanders, as most Warrior programs are affiliated with a local NHL club.  There are a lot of well established clubs in the Warrior program throughout the states, though ours is still in its infancy.  We're hoping to really take off going forward.

It started as a learn to play program to get veterans on the ice and establish a comradery.  It has blown up quite a bit.  I think we now have somewhere in the range of thirty to forty players on the roster.  Along with the learn to play, we have just finished our inaugural beer league season.  The team did quite well, ending the season 6-4 after getting blown out something like 10-1 in the very first game( I am not playing on the beer league team lol).  In that game I remember there being 4 fwd lines, 3 d pairs, and 2 goalies(LOL).  And still had to have players volunteer to healthy scratch themselves.  They ended the season last night with a first round playoff loss, 4-3.

As of now most of the more advanced players, myself included, have not participated in most of the beer league games so that there is room for the other guys to play.  With the overwhelming amount of interest in the club, there will be two teams entered into the same men's league.  One for the more advanced players and one for the novice players, though there will be some blending to fill out the lineups as needed.    

The overall goal is to have two travel teams, again one competitive and one novice, to compete against other Warrior programs.  We have one team right now and have played 2 such games thus far.  We traveled down to southern New Jersey last month to play in our very first Warrior game against the Philadelphia Flyers Warriors.  We beat them 9-3.  These guys get A LOT of love from the Flyers.  I saw on their IG that they just received $25k from the Flyers Alumni Association.  All we have gotten from the Islanders so far is a free team practice 1-2 times per month at their practice facility(which is also a local public rink so they're really just letting us practice for free) and having Aaron Asham skate with us to run drills.  They're supposedly footing the bill for NHL Adidas game jerseys for us but its been more than a month since we last had any word on that. 

Last weekend we traveled down the Washington DC area to play the District Warriors, we manhandled them 9-0.  To their credit, they were pretty undermanned as a lot of them are DC cops and there were many guys called into work due to local protests.  One of their men also succumbed to his own mental battles a few weeks ago and this was their first game since losing their brother.  We had a moment of silence for him prior to the game.

I have been wanting a team like this for a several years, ever since I found out about a California based Veteran team called the Patriots.  Personally, I am excited to see where this goes.  We have been invited to play in a tournament next month in Pennsylvania.  I think it is mostly first responders teams and possibly a few other Warrior teams as well.  We will also be participating in the Warrior Classic in November.  It is a national tournament where all of the Warrior teams gather to compete against each other.

TEAM.JPG

This was DC postgame
IMG_5020 (1).jpg

And yes...a little bit of me dies inside every time I have to wear Islanders colors lol.  I feel better about myself and call them Oilers colors whenever someone comments about it hahaha.

Very, very cool SBR. Hearing about programs like these is always very cool.

Though, at least the Islander (oilers, lol) colours are a closer match to your pads than the Knights jerseys. Maybe a little pad wrap and you'll actually match for once.

6 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Very, very cool SBR. Hearing about programs like these is always very cool.

Though, at least the Islander (oilers, lol) colors are a closer match to your pads than the Knights jerseys. Maybe a little pad wrap and you'll actually match for once.

Hahahaha yea I know.  The first skate we had with Asham he made a comment about my gear being the wrong colors lol.  Its not worth the time to me honestly.  Maybe if it was just the "spikes" in the graphic I would do it but I don't wanna deal with covering the knee rolls too.  I don't see that coming out very clean looking.  Is what it is, I haven't had my full set match my team colors in forever lol.  

15 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Hahahaha yea I know.  The first skate we had with Asham he made a comment about my gear being the wrong colors lol.  Its not worth the time to me honestly.  Maybe if it was just the "spikes" in the graphic I would do it but I don't wanna deal with covering the knee rolls too.  I don't see that coming out very clean looking.  Is what it is, I haven't had my full set match my team colors in forever lol.  

I tried to do the knee rolls on my old V4's and it was not only difficult, but looked awful. I settled for just the outer rolls. (even that didn't turn out great either).

My experience with Pad wrap has been hit or miss. I don't think I have the fine motor skills or patience to truly take my time with it. I'm too ham fisted.

Untitled.png.adb594602a1c632e7899f324b222b793.png

91231751_243242736731726_2764545791304400896_n.jpg.ae75052b2173794cb594e4a8f235b2a8.thumb.jpg.8e1a317fe116b9f13fba59c5f6c0a282.jpg

1 hour ago, MTH said:

The worst part of that Capitals rink is the huge banner for Dale Hunter that hangs at the end of it.

Everyone hates Dale Hunter.

I don't recall seeing a Dale Hunter banner.  This was at the ION International Training Center, it was out in the sticks somewhere 40 minutes west of Arlington, VA.  The name of the town escapes me.  Beautiful building.  One regular sheet of ice and one arena with seating as you can see in the background.  Coincidentally, our hotel was right in the middle of Arlington right around the corner from the Caps practice rink.  Beautiful area, you can tell it was a $$$$ area.  Maybe that is the rink you are thinking about?

My bad. Yeah that looked like the rink on the right side of the Medstar Caps practice facility. The one on top of the 7 story parking garage. They have all the retired number banners on the wall. It's a way rad rink to check out if you're ever back in that area again.

MedStar Capitals Iceplex

On 4/26/2021 at 10:34 AM, MTH said:

My bad. Yeah that looked like the rink on the right side of the Medstar Caps practice facility. The one on top of the 7 story parking garage. They have all the retired number banners on the wall. It's a way rad rink to check out if you're ever back in that area again.

MedStar Capitals Iceplex

Yup.  I walked right by the parking garage.  

On 4/23/2021 at 8:01 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

TEAM.JPG

This was DC postgame
IMG_5020 (1).jpg

Very cool! Let me know where your PA tournament is. I may be able to drop by and watch a game or two if it's on the eastern side of the state.

22 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Its supposed to be in Jamestown, Johnstown, something like that.

Doesn't every county in every state in all of the United States have a Johnstown AND a Jamestown?  And a Springfield.  Seems like it anyways to this Canadian, from the country where a Football league with only 9 teams had 2 teams named the Roughriders.

• Haha 1