3M Tape for Sliding? PPF Film

GoalieNut

11 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Got it

This isn't the same thing!

I'm on my 8th skate with them (5 practice environments and 3 games) and the stuff is still solidly fixed on there

Big fan of this mod, @GoalieNut@ser33@insertnamehere deserve a Bryzgalov style "humongous big" shout out for bringing it up

I know its not the same product.  Same concept though.  

Well, had a skate or stick put a good cut in mine last night, so I pulled them off and I'm going to redo them trying to be more precise. Even though they were lifting on the edges, the resistance encountered while peeling off the film showed me that it wasn't anywhere close to coming off. 

Edited by insertnamehere

5 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Joined the tape revolution. Will report back…

I have not lost since putting the tape on. 5-0. Even won a game at a level higher than I should ever consider playing. Tape has held up perfectly. Have not got around to putting it on the calf wings using Rapidtac because I honestly don't think I need to, knee blocks alone have been plenty slick. 

• Like 1

Joined the club. Applied the VIVID product to my G5s. 

First knee wing I did I just cut a piece larger than the wing and cut the excess off with an Xacto blade. Second one I made a paper template as shown and used that to cut a template out of plywood on my bandsaw. Used the plywood to cut out the VIVID material and it was a perfect fit (allowing a couple extra mm to curve along with the contour of the pad), MUCH easier and cleaner install. 

Decided to apply more to the knee leveler as well, but still debating whether to bother with the calf wing. Seems like others on here feel it is not necessary. I also see this as a temporary measure and will likely buy that G6 sliding plate to replace this when available in the Spring. Won’t be on the ice until next week but looking forward to trying it out then!

99C00251-63C3-4498-8488-5694D2EB622C.jpeg

0BFF2762-42BA-401C-B094-DDBA3FF421A4.jpeg

4F52262A-4B5E-4BDD-B31A-44A315CADD0B.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

First knee wing I did I just cut a piece larger than the wing and cut the excess off with an Xacto blade. Second one I made a paper template as shown and used that to cut a template out of plywood on my bandsaw. Used the plywood to cut out the VIVID material and it was a perfect fit (allowing a couple extra mm to curve along with the contour of the pad), MUCH easier and cleaner install. 

Decided to apply more to the knee leveler as well, but still debating whether to bother with the calf wing. Seems like others on here feel it is not necessary. I also see this as a temporary measure and will likely buy that G6 sliding plate to replace this when available in the Spring. Won’t be on the ice until next week but looking forward to trying it out then!

99C00251-63C3-4498-8488-5694D2EB622C.jpeg

0BFF2762-42BA-401C-B094-DDBA3FF421A4.jpeg

4F52262A-4B5E-4BDD-B31A-44A315CADD0B.jpeg

Looks good. After many games with this stuff also on G5s I also see no reason to apply it anywhere other than the knee area.

Edited by insertnamehere

5 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Nice templating.  I kind of winged it when I applied the first time.  I'll try your method next time I need to put a layer on.

3 games and 5 practice environments in and just a little peeling on the edges (probably because of how I applied the film). 

I ended up trying some glide polish on the inner edge not covered by PPE and was absolutely flying out there...transitions into RVH and off the post into the slot were so easy

• Like 2

On 1/2/2022 at 1:56 PM, wishEMT said:

I added some vivid wrap to my knee wings last week. Sliding was on par with the 1S pads I’m trying. I didn’t use a heat gun for the application and will probably re-do it so I can get a bit cleaner application as I missed a small piece trimming the edges and am getting a bit of peeling.

2CA57C38-B34F-4EFE-A5CC-2515A25479ED.jpeg

How well has the vivid stuff been holding up?

Did just the knee flap on my gt2's with the vivid. Left a little extra and tucked it under the seam of the binding. Slid great the entire game. Like others I had issues with over-sliding so that will take some adjustments. I usually only get 1 skate a week so it will be a while before I can comment on my durability experience.

Not planning on doing the calf wings although I am curious how much of an effect it would have.

8 hours ago, jacksork said:

Did just the knee flap on my gt2's with the vivid. Left a little extra and tucked it under the seam of the binding. Slid great the entire game. Like others I had issues with over-sliding so that will take some adjustments. I usually only get 1 skate a week so it will be a while before I can comment on my durability experience.

Not planning on doing the calf wings although I am curious how much of an effect it would have.

For me, I don’t see the necessity of doing the calves with the 3M tape. The exception would be if the calf plate lied flatter to the ice. Maybe if I put a calf wedge into the calf plate and the calf plate were flatter on the ice, the additional tape would be necessary. I was doing tricks on the ice with my pads! Spins! 

31 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

For me, I don’t see the necessity of doing the calves with the 3M tape. The exception would be if the calf plate lied flatter to the ice. Maybe if I put a calf wedge into the calf plate and the calf plate were flatter on the ice, the additional tape would be necessary. I was doing tricks on the ice with my pads! Spins! 

This is the main reason I'm considering applying the 3M to my calf wings. I have large stiff calf pillows made by Sara at PAW in these pads. 

1 hour ago, jacksork said:

Guilty as well. The spins are always fun, and even better when you can do them at the same speed the entire game.

It made my heroic save have more panache when I stopped the high skills player on a breakaway! After the stop, I spun! 🤣 That probably earned me a few d-bag points, but it was flashy and on rough ice!

• 3 weeks later...

Now that I finally have had an ice time with this mod, I can add my confirmation to the others in this thread that the Vivid product works phenomenally well applied to the knee block area (as noted above, I applied it to the knee wing and the knee leveler).

Here are my observations: for "big" slides, like butterfly slides across the crease and fully-loaded backside pushes, Vivid film is going to make any pad slide as well as CorTech and it appears to work consistently on fresh and choppy ice (it actually gave me the odd sensation that it doesn't care what the ice is like, its going to perform exactly the same, which is kind of a big deal). I had very little difficulty adjusting to it on these movements.

Where I had a little trouble was with small movements. On my G5s at least, it actually made it difficult to do a "little" push when down in the butterfly to one side or another. I noticed it a lot going from post to post in the RVH. At least twice in my game I hit the opposite post and then I kept on rotating out of position because after I slammed my toe into the post, my lead knee kept going. It will take some work to find the right feel.

Same with little movements, like shuffling side to side to block a rebound. I'm not sliding all the way into the corner or anything, I just mean that when you want to go 1' but you end up going 1.5' it can make a difference. Anyway, something to work on.

As far as durability, the film looks perfect, except for one small part of one edge on the knee leveler, which I thought would be taking the brunt of the wear, so I may reapply and try to get a better seal. I don't think the film will actually come off the sliding surface, but ice can get in under that tiny piece, so I want to avoid any trouble.

One thing I'm curious about - has anyone tested what happens when a puck gets caught between the pad and the ice? I had a shot yesterday squeak through as I was dropping down (luckily didn't go in and it was at the calf portion of my pad, not the knee) and it made me wonder if the film could potentially cause more squeakers. It would be a minor trade-off I think, but something to think about.

I did this on my old Vaughn V5's. I did the knee and the calf on my pads, and I'm loving it. I've been using it for a couple months at this point, playing a few times a week. It took a little bit of effort to get the feel for how hard to push, but that's getting better every ice time. I know shine people on here mentioned that the knee blocks were sticking to each other, and I've noticed this a bit myself. I find it easy enough to deal with, but I actually think that when it eventually wears out, I'll re-apply only to the calfs. With the way I have my strapping set up, the calf boards never touch. 

The sliding with this setup is unbelievable. I tried using a pair of Bauer 2S pros in the summer, and my Vaughn's slide better than them. I can't recommend this enough. What a great way to get more seasons out of my pads!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Scroll up to the post from Jan 9

16 hours ago, insertnamehere said:

@Punisher Goalie do you have any pics of your application on G5s? On mine, I seem to be able to get pretty good adherence except for a corner or two.

Yeah, it is only a really small spot. I think the main issue I had with my application was that I previously used 3M Scotchguard silicon-based spray to aide with sliding and I don't think I did a thorough enough job removing that with alcohol first.

I'm going to reapply that one piece and try again. 

15 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Yeah, it is only a really small spot. I think the main issue I had with my application was that I previously used 3M Scotchguard silicon-based spray to aide with sliding and I don't think I did a thorough enough job removing that with alcohol first.

I'm going to reapply that one piece and try again. 

I figure there's only a couple months till the slide plate is available and then this won't be necessary, so I may just have to redo it another time or two.