3M Tape for Sliding? PPF Film

GoalieNut

20 hours ago, Stack_EM_Up said:

I did this on my old Vaughn V5's. I did the knee and the calf on my pads, and I'm loving it. I've been using it for a couple months at this point, playing a few times a week. It took a little bit of effort to get the feel for how hard to push, but that's getting better every ice time. I know shine people on here mentioned that the knee blocks were sticking to each other, and I've noticed this a bit myself. I find it easy enough to deal with, but I actually think that when it eventually wears out, I'll re-apply only to the calfs. With the way I have my strapping set up, the calf boards never touch. 

The sliding with this setup is unbelievable. I tried using a pair of Bauer 2S pros in the summer, and my Vaughn's slide better than them. I can't recommend this enough. What a great way to get more seasons out of my pads!

IMO

PPF on the knees are 100% necessary here as that is where most of our weight is loaded in the butterfly

• Like 1

I applied the 3M tape on my Lefevre L20.1s. I ordered them with the Weave on the sliding edge. Before the tape I was having issues with sliding and getting the strapping dialed in to prevent under rotation of the pad. I also experienced the pad face flopping down to the ice while starting a slide which was very odd. My Bauer Ultrasonics flat out perform better. 

skated in a pick up scrimmage on Monday night and the tape works. Quick sliding and I don’t feel like the pad is working against me. Long and easy slides with gentle pushes. I do wish the Lefevre’s had Bauer’s integrated knee block for better overall stability. 

11 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

That's exactly why I was asking.  The stuff I used a few years ago was clear but had a slight white tinge to it so you could tell I was wearing something on my pads.
2021-03-10.jpg

It’s like taking a matte painted mask vs a clear coated one. The PPFed sections really pop 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

It's a cool idea. My question is whether using the stuff is legal. Other sports have a dim view on using foreign substances to enhance performance (corked bats, Spider Tack, and stickum), so I wouldn't be surprised if hockey had rules against that. The other concern would be that adding tape to the pads might cause them to be too wide. Is there a way to put on the tape that wouldn't break the rules? 

I'd rather learn how to slide while on the ground via proper technique, and if I get the technique down before using hacks such as tape, good. If I learn with the tape, I'm not sure if it would help me once I use pads without tape, or if the officials notice that I have foreign materials and tell me to remove it. 

3 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

It's a cool idea. My question is whether using the stuff is legal. Other sports have a dim view on using foreign substances to enhance performance (corked bats, Spider Tack, and stickum), so I wouldn't be surprised if hockey had rules against that. The other concern would be that adding tape to the pads might cause them to be too wide. Is there a way to put on the tape that wouldn't break the rules? 

I'd rather learn how to slide while on the ground via proper technique, and if I get the technique down before using hacks such as tape, good. If I learn with the tape, I'm not sure if it would help me once I use pads without tape, or if the officials notice that I have foreign materials and tell me to remove it. 

For beer league, no one is going to care. I have shown several refs who also play goalie and they have added the tape to their pads. Non beer league? Not sure. 

13 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

https://www.usahockeyrulebook.com/page/show/1084401-rule-303-goalkeeper-s-equipment

Tried to find some other rules about but could not find anything different. Materials are not mentioned.

Tape is so thin that you couldn't define if it made the pads too wide. Or atleast it would be splitting hair.

With any technique I could imagine you are never able to get similar slide than with more slick material. Neither you will get the same results with leg days. It's plain physics that the less you need energy to slide around the better the control to it is.

Sliding around when butterflying is ofcourse a technical style which you have to learn and the materials and ease of slide naturally affects that. When it's easier to slide you need a different style, you need less force to start the slide and you need different moves to control the direction. And you even need to learn how to limit the speed and stop the slide.

With all that said I don't mean everybody should fly around sliding like on skates. Some don't like it and their style of tendying is different and they might manage very well. For me the superior slide is the only way I like to go with. 

• Like 1

Warrior is adding a plastic slide plate to their pads on the g6 line.... for all intents and purposes, that should absolve any issues about "foreign substances" on pads. 

For Baseball, the rules are because of physics. A ball with a intentional nick, scuff, or spit dances when being thrown... as in it doesn't follow a traditional route to the plate. It goes up, down, spins differently and can go from 12 to 6 across the plate with a 10 inch drop in the last few feet.

A corked bat allows the ball to travel farther once it makes impact because the wood acts like a spring and allows it to go 20-35 feet farther. Difference between a out a few feet from the wall or three rows deep.

3M slide tape doesn't do anything to the puck, or the ice. It just makes the surface smoother to mimic fresh ice. Every period or game starts with that, this just ensures it lasts a little longer.

For what it's worth, I want the crappiest ice possible. I hate sliding, coming from roller it destroys my hips and knees. If I can drag a 8 foot by 8 foot slab of concrete on the ice with me I'd do it.

That makes more sense. If it's not explicitly prohibited, then it is legal. I also thought that tape on the pads would give an unfair advantage, but then it doesn't do anything to affect the surface. If both goalies are using sliding tape (or a built-in slide plate), it doesn't disadvantage anyone. 

On 3/17/2022 at 2:42 PM, TommyWD40 said:

Would you guys recommend this on a brand new set of Bauer pads? 
I was thinking it would increase the longevity of the pads, but they have CORTECH skin so I don't know if it will be worth it

you don't need any extra material on bauer 

• Like 1

Tried this with the Vivid - the sliding was incredible... 

However, on the first skate the vinyl shattered and started peeling up.  I'm using this product. 

https://smile.amazon.com/VViViD-Clear-Protection-Scratch-Resistant/dp/B00L3O63YO/ref=pd_sbs_1/143-5745037-6023725?pd_rd_w=Ko6Zu&pf_rd_p=dfec2022-428d-4b18-a6d4-8f791333a139&pf_rd_r=9ZP1VANFX02WQWVD3MPN&pd_rd_r=e415f721-08a9-45d4-9e86-525b0ef1e21a&pd_rd_wg=86aLS&pd_rd_i=B00L3O63YO&psc=1

Tried again and reapplied new sheets, thinking maybe I used too much heat and same thing happened this afternoon. 

Is this the version everyone is using successfully?  

IMG_2867.JPEG

IMG_2866.JPEG

1 hour ago, moore00 said:

Tried this with the Vivid - the sliding was incredible... 

However, on the first skate the vinyl shattered and started peeling up.  I'm using this product. 

https://smile.amazon.com/VViViD-Clear-Protection-Scratch-Resistant/dp/B00L3O63YO/ref=pd_sbs_1/143-5745037-6023725?pd_rd_w=Ko6Zu&pf_rd_p=dfec2022-428d-4b18-a6d4-8f791333a139&pf_rd_r=9ZP1VANFX02WQWVD3MPN&pd_rd_r=e415f721-08a9-45d4-9e86-525b0ef1e21a&pd_rd_wg=86aLS&pd_rd_i=B00L3O63YO&psc=1

Tried again and reapplied new sheets, thinking maybe I used too much heat and same thing happened this afternoon. 

IIRC -

@BadAngle41 is using the Vivid
@johncho installed with heat (not sure which product he used) and had peeling issues

I bought the 3M version, did not use heat to apply. 
Was about 30 skates in with my Lefevre 20.1 with no issues before selling them (also happy to note, it did not damage the pads when removed)
Currently am about 15 skates in with my True 20.2 with no issues
Would be interested to see if heat is the issue causing the problems
Make sure you're wrapping it around the edge, really small scissors help (see below)

image.png.6dbae02de881caf56fcc5d9638db4ece.png

image.png.0476b68f5396553d840f963426f59b67.png

Addendum

I slid down to the user reviews on the Vivid, this stood out to me, sounds like the mil thickness on the Vivid is noticeably thinner

image.png.390931fb10fa6597c83978abe23a1f46.png

14 hours ago, moore00 said:

12 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

IIRC -

@BadAngle41 is using the Vivid

I actually used Xpel Ultimate Plus... although I can't really speak to it's longevity as I removed it after a skate or two because the sliding was just too much for my liking. That said, I do have it on my car and it's a great product. The seal along the edges of the pad were really good even though I didn't put as much effort into the process as I would if I was going to keep the product on my pads. Also, I'm not sure about the Vivid and 3M materials... but the Xpel has a self healing property which removes scratches and abrasions when exposed to light heat.

On 3/13/2022 at 10:35 AM, ilyazhito said:

That makes more sense. If it's not explicitly prohibited, then it is legal. I also thought that tape on the pads would give an unfair advantage, but then it doesn't do anything to affect the surface. If both goalies are using sliding tape (or a built-in slide plate), it doesn't disadvantage anyone. 

I would be shocked if this was illegal. Not all pads are made of the same skin from stock and brands are openly promoting different materials, coatings, etc to increase glide.

Pad Skinz is also legal and that opens up the door adding material

I think equipment specs will likely be left alone with the growing numbers of 8 and 10 goal games. The modern stick, combined with great technique taught in off-ice training really makes shots super hard to read. I can see an open blade and the shot stays on the ice. Closed blade could still mean the puck goes over your shoulder, or a lacrosse/Michigan goal. Or a fake Michigan like I was burnt on. Some slippery tape isn’t going to make much of a difference with how puck handling has improved dramatically over the last twenty years. Had Brett Hull not practised his Vodka/Tonic game and did some golfball training with his stick, he would have been even more dangerous!

So I tried again without heat and actually had worse results.   However, doing more research, it seems the issue may be the fact that the VVivid film I purchased is vinyl (PVC) vs. polyurethane based. The PVC is less malleable and generally less durable than the poly based film. E.g. the 3m film is poly film.  

So I have some Vvivd poly film and a third party film being shipped now, given 3m is out of stock everywhere.  I'll update when I get it on and test. 

15 hours ago, moore00 said:

So I tried again without heat and actually had worse results.   However, doing more research, it seems the issue may be the fact that the VVivid film I purchased is vinyl (PVC) vs. polyurethane based. The PVC is less malleable and generally less durable than the poly based film. E.g. the 3m film is poly film.  

So I have some Vvivd poly film and a third party film being shipped now, given 3m is out of stock everywhere.  I'll update when I get it on and test. 

If you are in Canada, and can send me your dimension, I could send you some of the 3M if I have enough left on the roll.

EDIT: for free that is

Edited by johncho