Jump to content

3M Tape for Sliding?


GoalieNut
 Share

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

There seems to be some disconnect here

The tape in question is being used on the sliding surface of the pad to enhance the slide

Putting Shoe Goo over that is going to negate any benefit of the tape

Correct.  I think the purpose of this application is to improve sliding.

On the weekend I put the tape on both knee blocks (Vaughn v7 pads).  Application was very easy.  I'll test it out this week and report back!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, johncho said:

No this is great, and it's actually good to see that it won't show too much. 

So you've placed it just on knee block part? Or along the whole contact surface?

I placed it on the knee block only as I just wanted to test it out.  I may add it to other areas as well but I want to get used to the knee area first.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, GoalieNut said:

I placed it on the knee block only as I just wanted to test it out.  I may add it to other areas as well but I want to get used to the knee area first.

To clarify - I put it on the knee block landing area and wrapped it around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GoalieNut said:

I placed it on the knee block only as I just wanted to test it out.  I may add it to other areas as well but I want to get used to the knee area first.

Neat - it does look pretty much invisible.  I can see a some shine in the top corner of the knee block and some bunched up material on the bottom corner, which I'm guessing is the poly tape.  A couple questions if you don't mind...

Have you tried Sliding Polish or Ice Kream or any other brand of pad sliding product before? If so, how's it compare?

How many skates have you had it on?  How easy is it to pull off?

I understand our sample size is small so far, but how would you rate the durability?  It looks like it's 8 mil thick, which is about 4-5 times thicker than most packing tape.  I'm assuming it's got some rigidity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Neat - it does look pretty much invisible.  I can see a some shine in the top corner of the knee block and some bunched up material on the bottom corner, which I'm guessing is the poly tape.  A couple questions if you don't mind...

Have you tried Sliding Polish or Ice Kream or any other brand of pad sliding product before? If so, how's it compare?

How many skates have you had it on?  How easy is it to pull off?

I understand our sample size is small so far, but how would you rate the durability?  It looks like it's 8 mil thick, which is about 4-5 times thicker than most packing tape.  I'm assuming it's got some rigidity.

I haven't tried any polishes or such so I can't compare.  I've only had one league game skate in them so far.  I've got more skates scheduled this week.  Based on how the material feels and just the one skate I think it will hold up well.  It seemed not too bad to pull off - if that helps?  It does seem to hold well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is this for any specific 3M tape - I'm assuming we may want to look at PTFE too? I know on the PC gaming side of things, many newer mice are using PTFE mouse skates vs the old nylon ones, as they side much better on mouse pads. 

Also adding in a joke - hooray with this mod you've now successfully achieved what the Ritual G6 is. 

Edited by Kayen
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

Neat - it does look pretty much invisible.  I can see a some shine in the top corner of the knee block and some bunched up material on the bottom corner, which I'm guessing is the poly tape.  A couple questions if you don't mind...

Have you tried Sliding Polish or Ice Kream or any other brand of pad sliding product before? If so, how's it compare?

How many skates have you had it on?  How easy is it to pull off?

I understand our sample size is small so far, but how would you rate the durability?  It looks like it's 8 mil thick, which is about 4-5 times thicker than most packing tape.  I'm assuming it's got some rigidity.

I've been using Ice Kream and/or Passau gliding polish for a couple of years, so once I get my tape on I'll try to remember to give a comparison. 

As far as durability goes, this is supposed to be used for protecting automotive paint from stone chips, based on that I don't think sliding on snow and ice will be a big deal for it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Kayen said:

Is this for any specific 3M tape - I'm assuming we may want to look at PTFE too? I know on the PC gaming side of things, many newer mice are using PTFE mouse skates vs the old nylon ones, as they side much better on mouse pads. 

Also adding in a joke - hooray with this mod you've now successfully achieved what the Ritual G6 is. 

I put a link in the Thread for the tape.  

It does slide very fast IMO for what it's worth lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

I understand our sample size is small so far, but how would you rate the durability?  It looks like it's 8 mil thick, which is about 4-5 times thicker than most packing tape.  I'm assuming it's got some rigidity.

 

So I had my car wrapped with XPEL, a product very similar to what @GoalieNut applied to the knee landing. It obviously adheres well to a painted surface and allows for some flex, the real trick is to minimize the edges that could peel up and any wrinkles. Looking at the initial video that was posted of the Miklin pad, they apply to the jenpro/weave material prior to sewing and more-less laminate it. Tack solutions can aid in ensuring good adhesion in corners etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

 

So I had my car wrapped with XPEL, a product very similar to what @GoalieNut applied to the knee landing. It obviously adheres well to a painted surface and allows for some flex, the real trick is to minimize the edges that could peel up and any wrinkles. Looking at the initial video that was posted of the Miklin pad, they apply to the jenpro/weave material prior to sewing and more-less laminate it. Tack solutions can aid in ensuring good adhesion in corners etc.

That's why I wrapped it around the knee.  But I might just trace the knee landing area and cut and apply to see how it holds up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FWIW... I applied some DuPont Teflon Silicone Lubricant Aerosol Spray to sliding edges and weltings of my RetroFlexes a while back. Anywhere that sees a good amount of abrasion or moisture. Does a good job of sealing the materials and provided noticeable improvement in sliding... but between getting used to the sliding and actually wearing off... you'd probably have to apply somewhat regularly if your primary goal was sliding.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BadAngle41 said:

 

So I had my car wrapped with XPEL, a product very similar to what @GoalieNut applied to the knee landing. It obviously adheres well to a painted surface and allows for some flex, the real trick is to minimize the edges that could peel up and any wrinkles. Looking at the initial video that was posted of the Miklin pad, they apply to the jenpro/weave material prior to sewing and more-less laminate it. Tack solutions can aid in ensuring good adhesion in corners etc.

You need to share pics of your car so @coopaloop1234 stops griefing me about mine

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

You need to share pics of your car so @coopaloop1234 stops griefing me about mine

 

17 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

I made a passing post in the gear hauler topic... pretty sure @coopaloop1234 gives me a pass because of the fact it's an internal combustion.

I think you guys should know that I just have a preference for general harassment. What I harass you about is a non-factor. ;)

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is this the right kind of tape? It seems to be the closest I can find in the US on Amazon.

VViViD 3M Clear Paint Protection Vinyl Film 6 Inch Wide Choose Your Size Including Tools (6 Inch x 48 Inch) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXOPYQ4/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_7VT192Y8CN6SZQ8PX9J9

 

I have used some bushings from Igus, who have this tape available. I wonder how it compares. 

https://www.igus.com/product/681?artNr=B160T-5-20

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Wake42 said:

Is this the right kind of tape? It seems to be the closest I can find in the US on Amazon.

VViViD 3M Clear Paint Protection Vinyl Film 6 Inch Wide Choose Your Size Including Tools (6 Inch x 48 Inch) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXOPYQ4/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_7VT192Y8CN6SZQ8PX9J9

 

I have used some bushings from Igus, who have this tape available. I wonder how it compares. 

https://www.igus.com/product/681?artNr=B160T-5-20

The 3M product you linked is very similar (if not the same) as what @GoalieNut used... just different dimensions. The Igus product is interesting... but it's difficult to compare physical properties of it to the 3M as they have different intended purposes. 3M's technical data sheets are more like marketing materials with limited data points... so evaluating things like coefficient of sliding friction found on the Igus product isn't possible. That said... the Igus product is more than 2X the thickness of the 3M product (0.019685" (0.5mm) vs. 0.008" (0.2032 mm).)

I think it's also important to keep in mind that all of the products in question are "wear resistant." 3M is intended as paint protection film which is meant to hold up against light to medium road grit... and not sliding across a cut up crease. The typically polyurethane clear coat on top of the film provides the majority of the water sheeting which would give us the sliding characteristics we're looking for. As for how long that lasts... well @GoalieNut will have to let us know. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

  • Member Statistics

    1,591
    Total Members
    2,646
    Most Online
    ilyazhito
    Newest Member
    ilyazhito
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...