3M Tape for Sliding?

GoalieNut

4 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

The 3M product you linked is very similar (if not the same) as what @GoalieNut used... just different dimensions. The Igus product is interesting... but it's difficult to compare physical properties of it to the 3M as they have different intended purposes. 3M's technical data sheets are more like marketing materials with limited data points... so evaluating things like coefficient of sliding friction found on the Igus product isn't possible. That said... the Igus product is more than 2X the thickness of the 3M product (0.019685" (0.5mm) vs. 0.008" (0.2032 mm).)

I think it's also important to keep in mind that all of the products in question are "wear resistant." 3M is intended as paint protection film which is meant to hold up against light to medium road grit... and not sliding across a cut up crease. The typically polyurethane clear coat on top of the film provides the majority of the water sheeting which would give us the sliding characteristics we're looking for. As for how long that lasts... well @GoalieNut will have to let us know. 

Interesting, I wonder if after that polyurethane clear coat wears off, if you could sort of "recharge" it if the film itself is still serviceable with a small application of a ceramic coating/sealant product. 

4 hours ago, insertnamehere said:

Before, during and after not necessarily in that order. Little bit tricky getting the trimming just right on the G5 knee wing as there's not a lot of jenpro on the edges and the backside is velcro. 

IMG_20211123_093432680.jpg

IMG_20211123_091650516.jpg

IMG_20211123_091332844.jpg

Looks good.  Let us know if you noticed a difference in sliding.  I think you will.

You'll absolutely notice a difference.  I wore my pads on ice while they still had the slippery tape that I added to them for an inline hokey tournament.  I kept it on there for several games until it was starting to peel off or until the moisture weakened the adhesive to the point it peeled right off.  They slid phenomenally well with the tape.  On all ice conditions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

You'll absolutely notice a difference.  I wore my pads on ice while they still had the slippery tape that I added to them for an inline hokey tournament.  I kept it on there for several games until it was starting to peel off or until the moisture weakened the adhesive to the point it peeled right off.  They slid phenomenally well with the tape.  On all ice conditions.

image.jpeg.6d6c7808a18ab8b00f52614f8511c462.jpeg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, insertnamehere said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see anything indicating that that's got an adhesive backing. How do you plan to get it to stick?

Correct there is no adhesive which is intentional. I’m going to roll the edges around the knee sliding plate to hold it on and prevent it from sliding side to side. To keep it from slipping off I’m going to make a Velcro strap to hold it on unless it ends up not needing anything to stop it from sliding off. The goal is to copy warrior’s design without seeing the exact design. This will make much more sense when I receive the polycarbonate and turn my idea into a physical product. 

Edited by ThatCarGuy

On 11/25/2021 at 11:19 PM, insertnamehere said:

I cannot overstate how well this worked. After an hour on the ice, sliding through a snowy, roughed up crease felt almost as smooth as on fresh ice. I don't think I'll ever play without this stuff on my pads again, so long as it holds up for a decent amount of time. 

Awesome!  I love finding new goalie hacks that work.