3M Tape for Sliding? PPF Film

GoalieNut

On 12/6/2021 at 9:48 PM, insertnamehere said:

@ArdeFIN what do you use to shape/mold your plates? That looks like an even better idea than the clear bra. 

Heatgun at 300 deg celsius and small board pieces with clamps to make the long straight edges. Curved lines and more rounded corners I do with same heat gun & setting and bare fingers wet with cold tap water. Little by little it'll mold and I rarely burn my fingers at all. The 2mm thick sheet cools down quickly when you have cold tap water on your fingers.

Takes some time too but not as much as you would think. The 2mm thick PE is really nice to mold and bend as it heats throughly pretty quick and even. The thicker the plastic is the harder it is to heat enough and still not too much so that it won't melt completely. If it melts it'll be really hard to re-form back to any decent looks. But it might still work well even if it looked toasted.

Edited by ArdeFIN

On 11/22/2021 at 8:04 AM, GoalieNut said:

Just make sure the surface is clean and dry before applying.  It adheres pretty well. 

Did you just jam it on, or did you go full out like an auto detailer with the spray bottles mixed with water/baby shampoo and water/isopropyl alcohol?

Update from my outting last Sunday: The tape slid phenomenally well.  Until after the 1st 40 minutes, I noticed some sticking.  I checked between periods and one of the knee pieces was peeled back a bit.  I ripped that piece off and all was well the rest of the evening.  After inspection tonight, all but two pieces had lifting at the edges.  I felt I prepped well and the hair dryer sealed the deal.  But, I ripped them all off and will give the 3M bra a shot some time soon hopefully.

16 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Did you just jam it on, or did you go full out like an auto detailer with the spray bottles mixed with water/baby shampoo and water/isopropyl alcohol?

I actually did nothing.  The knee block was clean and so I just simply applied the product.  It's holding up very well.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 5:00 AM, GoalieNut said:

I actually did nothing.  The knee block was clean and so I just simply applied the product.  It's holding up very well.

Great, I did the same.

Installation was really easy. Took me about 10 mins per pad.  I did both knee block and calf wedge.  I wanted to avoid exposing any edges of the film on the sliding surface to keep the material from bunching up and potentially catching/peeling so I wrapped around the corners (see first pic below) and was able to keep the film on jenpro, where it sticks best. The film doesn’t stick to nylon, so I had to be pretty precise.  I used the factory cut edge on the film to line up against the inseam where the component (knee wing or calf wedge) lines up to the 5 hole panel.  I bought a 12" x 72" roll and was able to knock out both knee blocks with one 12" wide piece and cover both calf wedges with another 12" wide piece.

There is a bit of shine to the material that’s only visible under more intense light, may be because I ordered these pads with weave on the slide surface. 

I ’d say sliding is about as easy as on Bauer with CORtech.  

The pads to seem to catch if you rub PPF on PPF when you're walking from the room to the ice surface, so be careful if you're running...lol

E564F548-06D1-4D2D-92F1-B6543B440199.thumb.jpeg.bb6e77a96f9043e7c00c2db2ee99d52b.jpeg
4DC328B2-A46C-480E-8C0A-C1482C6C036B.thumb.jpeg.1b70c49f12febe15ad1be78c3d1e4f74.jpeg

194F8D8E-B1B6-454D-B53B-3415BAA39822.thumb.jpeg.dab3831203654ec61299e05971d06092.jpeg

• Like 4

I get to try this on my pads tonight and once more on Wednesday. I'm pretty excited as none of the pads that I've had slid particularly well. 

It was fairly easy to do, I was pretty close to the edges using a sharp razor blade. I did a quick pass over the surface with my heat gun on the lowest setting but I don't think that helped or hurt honestly. If it comes off during the game tonight, then I will try cleaning the surface and reapplying for Wednesday. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johncho said:

I get to try this on my pads tonight and once more on Wednesday. I'm pretty excited as none of the pads that I've had slid particularly well. 

It was fairly easy to do, I was pretty close to the edges using a sharp razor blade. I did a quick pass over the surface with my heat gun on the lowest setting but I don't think that helped or hurt honestly. If it comes off during the game tonight, then I will try cleaning the surface and reapplying for Wednesday. 

I used a baseball card toploader as a portable cutting board to trim/protect the pad after I applied the PPF.

image.png.128657bac50e4c76452c346a52e3a57f.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

1 game in, stuff still looks mint -which isn't saying much, but other guys on here are 4-5 skates in and seem to be reporting the same.

I'll admit that in a couple of corners it's lifting a bit, this after probably 6-7 skates, but to be fair I'm also a "that's good enough" kinda person when it comes to applying it. That being said, the tiny bit of lifting going on hasn't seemed to cause any negative effects in performance. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, insertnamehere said:

I'll admit that in a couple of corners it's lifting a bit, this after probably 6-7 skates, but to be fair I'm also a "that's good enough" kinda person when it comes to applying it. That being said, the tiny bit of lifting going on hasn't seemed to cause any negative effects in performance. 

I've read auto detailers/PPF film installers will use a rubbing alcohol/water mix to help with adhesion.  Guessing the solution helps activate the glues on the film.  If mine peels up like that I'll try this next.

Tried the 3m product I shared a link for a while back on the knee wings. Slid incredibly well all game. Pretty sure I don't make it across the crease fast enough on a few saves without it last night. Getting more material to do calf wraps and to experiment with a more permanent solution. The material feels like a vinyl table cloth, so I am wondering if that can be formed/sewed if it was thick enough? 

• Like 1

So a bit of a disaster last night taking it out for the first time.

The Good

It slides oh so incredibly well. I overslid quite a few times in the beginning before the snow started forming, and even then it slid well, better than anything else I've worn.

The Bad

Like someone said before, they like to grab onto each other, it wasn't fun walking to the ice, and every time I was standing upright to rest, I had to be extra cognizant of where my knees were. 

During one scramble, they caught each other and I found out afterwards that one side had pulled off the other as my legpads rubbed together. 

Even if it was somehow perma-attached to my pads, I don't know if I would like it because of the feeling of them grabbing onto each other. I'll have to try it again another time.

Edited by johncho

Personally I don't mind Jenpro on sliding surfaces... but have used CORTech skin on 2X Pro and now have SpeedSkin on my Axis set. For the sake of experimentation I'm going to throw the Axis set in the ring and picked up some XPEL Ultimate Plus to try. I have the same product on my car and a benefit to this over some of its competitors is a "Heat Activated Self-Healing Topcoat Constructed from an elastomeric polyurethane, ULTIMATE PLUS will self-heal light scratches & swirl marks with a light heat application to the film's surface."

I probably will be a little OCD about prepping the surface the XPEL is being applied to... but also cautious not to apply anything that might have a negative effect on the SpeedSkin should I decide not keep it on. 

I'll also be interested if XPEL has the same tackiness to itself like @johncho and some other have mentioned experiencing with the 3M product. 

19 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I've read auto detailers/PPF film installers will use a rubbing alcohol/water mix to help with adhesion.  Guessing the solution helps activate the glues on the film.  If mine peels up like that I'll try this next.

There are also specific adhesion promoter products for the edges, but I'm not sure I want to find out what it will do to the jenpro. 

28 minutes ago, insertnamehere said:

There are also specific adhesion promoter products for the edges, but I'm not sure I want to find out what it will do to the jenpro. 

If we really wanted to, someone could probably nab a 2x2" piece and try

I have some PadSkinz laying around but I'm 99% sure it's not the same as Jenpro

This is a fantastic and easy mod.  I put some of the 3M product on the knee wings of my VE8's and spent three games last night sliding like I was wearing my 2S or 2X's.  No signs of wear or peeling.  As others have said, I was even sliding on late game snowy ice.  I will be doing this on my other non Bauer kits.  I did not have any problems with my knees sticking to each other.

-steve 

32 minutes ago, beansbats said:

This is a fantastic and easy mod.  I put some of the 3M product on the knee wings of my VE8's and spent three games last night sliding like I was wearing my 2S or 2X's.  No signs of wear or peeling.  As others have said, I was even sliding on late game snowy ice.  I will be doing this on my other non Bauer kits.  I did not have any problems with my knees sticking to each other.

-steve 

How many skates in total? Do the edges peel?

3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

How many skates in total? Do the edges peel?

One night,  three skates,  no peeling, so a small sample size to this point.  I did tuck the edges around the wing where possible, and used a heat gun to help remove any bubbling when I installed.  I'll put two more skates on them Wednesday night, and check for wear.

2 hours ago, beansbats said:

One night,  three skates,  no peeling, so a small sample size to this point.  I did tuck the edges around the wing where possible, and used a heat gun to help remove any bubbling when I installed.  I'll put two more skates on them Wednesday night, and check for wear.

I have 3 skates as well. No peeling. Sliding really well. Have not lost since putting on.

I did try to do the calf wings. Couldn't get the material on without creases or bubbles. At my last job, we put large decals on gas pumps, using something called rapid tack. That allowed the decals to be movable until the rapid tack set, making it easy to get out bubbles or creases. May test that on some old gear before trying elsewhere. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1