3M Tape for Sliding? PPF Film

GoalieNut

44 minutes ago, Wake42 said:

I have 3 skates as well. No peeling. Sliding really well. Have not lost since putting on.

I did try to do the calf wings. Couldn't get the material on without creases or bubbles. At my last job, we put large decals on gas pumps, using something called rapid tack. That allowed the decals to be movable until the rapid tack set, making it easy to get out bubbles or creases. May test that on some old gear before trying elsewhere. 

I really want to know how this works. 

I feel that there needs to be an adhesive promoter to make it work better. My heart of hearts says it’s a 2/3 chance that promoter will not be harmful to Jenpro; however, I am happy that you will test it on your old gear 😉

4 hours ago, beansbats said:

One night,  three skates,  no peeling, so a small sample size to this point.  I did tuck the edges around the wing where possible, and used a heat gun to help remove any bubbling when I installed.  I'll put two more skates on them Wednesday night, and check for wear.

3 skates for me as well, 1 game and 2 practice scenarios (small area games, line rushes etc).  Crease gets pretty scuffed up at the end and pushes are still effortless

Still holding up strong.  No peeling.  If I do need re-apply, I'm thinking to snip a straight line in the PPF so I can fold it and tack it to itself (instead of rounding it around the corners).  No issues with the film jamming into each other after the first game.

Slides smooth but my pushes are looking even lazier than before

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wake42 said:

I have 3 skates as well. No peeling. Sliding really well. Have not lost since putting on.

I did try to do the calf wings. Couldn't get the material on without creases or bubbles. At my last job, we put large decals on gas pumps, using something called rapid tack. That allowed the decals to be movable until the rapid tack set, making it easy to get out bubbles or creases. May test that on some old gear before trying elsewhere. 

It's like applying a smartphone screen cover.

Start in the middle and work outward.  Most calf wedges are pretty flat these days

Automobile PPF installers use a mix of baby shampoo mixed with water in a spray bottle.  Spray down the sticky side of the PPF with the solution and you can position the film from there

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

It's like applying a smartphone screen cover.

Start in the middle and work outward.  Most calf wedges are pretty flat these days

Automobile PPF installers use a mix of baby shampoo mixed with water in a spray bottle.  Spray down the sticky side of the PPF with the solution and you can position the film from there

You underestimate how bad I am at phone screen protectors. I still have the protector that came stock on my phone. 

The 3m film I bought is just as wide as my calf wings, so little margin for error. I have some rapid tac coming, so we will see how that goes. 

I honestly think putting it on the calf wings would be too slippery. That or it would expose my poor technique. I made a cross crease save, sliding across in the butterfly, and went too far. Couldn't recover fast enough to cover the backdoor shot. To be fair, it was probably poor rebound control that led to the goal (went off my back pad). Still need to train my brain that friction won't stop me like it used to. Lots of drop in time the next two weeks to get used to it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, johncho said:

How are you guys dealing with the fact that it likes to bind to each other when the knees are touching (when standing up in a relaxed position)? The friction on mine was enough to peel each other off.

Really curious how you applied the PPF.  I have not had any issues except the initial rubbing sensation.  Fixed this by tightening both my knee block velcro and calf wedge strap.

Maybe comparing notes would help...

• Did you have any exposed edges/corners on the flat surface of the pad after applying?
    • I curved mine up and around to follow the line of jenpro.  No exposed corners or edges that would directly contact the ice.
  • How long did you wait between application and skate?
    • I waited 24 hrs
  • FWIW I did not use a heat gun.

14 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Really curious how you applied the PPF.  I have not had any issues except the initial rubbing sensation.  Fixed this by tightening both my knee block velcro and calf wedge strap.

Maybe comparing notes would help...

• Did you have any exposed edges/corners on the flat surface of the pad after applying?
    • I curved mine up and around to follow the line of jenpro.  No exposed corners or edges that would directly contact the ice.
  • How long did you wait between application and skate?
    • I waited 24 hrs
  • FWIW I did not use a heat gun.

- I tucked mine up into the fold and curved mine up too.

- Waited a bit more than 24 hours

- I did use a heat gun.

I'll try again in the new year. I usually use a silicone spray on my sliding surface so maybe that hinders the adhesion as well, is there a good way to prep the surface you think? Maybe a wipe with alcohol?

But I still feel that the feeling of the rub would bother me when walking/standing upright to rest. I wonder if the UHMW tape would be better or are they the same thing as the 3M PPF?

57 minutes ago, johncho said:

- I tucked mine up into the fold and curved mine up too.

- Waited a bit more than 24 hours

- I did use a heat gun.

I'll try again in the new year. I usually use a silicone spray on my sliding surface so maybe that hinders the adhesion as well, is there a good way to prep the surface you think? Maybe a wipe with alcohol?

But I still feel that the feeling of the rub would bother me when walking/standing upright to rest. I wonder if the UHMW tape would be better or are they the same thing as the 3M PPF?

I typically use the ECO hockey sliding polish, but it had been several weeks before my last reapplication and the PPF.  I'd guess clean it up with alcohol/water and let it dry - a rubbing alcohol/water mix is used as an adhesive promoter by auto installers, and I'd hate for you to get stuck with the PPF if it ends up not working for you because it won't come off or is damaging your pads.

Update on the PPF as well, had a game last night and the ice conditions were shit.  Puddles everywhere.  I actually slid even better than on fresh ice...lol

• Like 1

On 12/24/2021 at 12:14 PM, Chenner29 said:

I'd hate for you to get stuck with the PPF if it ends up not working for you because it won't come off or is damaging your pads.

I would welcome an excuse to get new pads lol.

I'll give it another college try once I can find some free time.

Update on PPF applied to SpeedSkin:

I purchased XPEL brand PPF along with a pen of their adhesion promoter. Prior to applying it to the pad I cleaned them with 50/50 alcohol mixture and used a spray of water with a few drops of dish soap to slightly lubricate when applying. 
Trimming to shape and leaving 1/2” or so all the way around, I used a vinyl applicator squeegee with microfiber cover to push out any air bubbles. Peeling back slightly at edges and crevices I applied adhesion promoter and it tacks immediately. 
While I have a heat gun, I used a hair dryer on high temp setting to help stretch over corners and a new Exacto blade to carefully trim excess from edges. 
Based on the recommendation of @Chenner29 I applied to the knee blocks and calf wedges, omitted surfaces forward of that for this trial. Lastly I applied to the inner boot just to see how it held up on an area that flexes. Admittedly I was a little sloppy on the corners of knee blocks… but again this was just a trial for me. To wrap it all up I employed the blow dryer again to help work out and creases and bubbles and really push The PPF into crevices. 
6E48037E-3EB3-489D-8B6D-32CD9D82B301.thumb.jpeg.74581956e4157236bb419905af45792c.jpeg1BD383A2-DC23-460D-86A7-5C82DF878AB7.thumb.jpeg.bb8eb276bb61b6e669e6d79904452d84.jpeg

Pros:

• Applied easy and adhered pretty well to SpeedSkin although it certainly grabbed onto jenpro better. Edges are by far the most important areas of adhesion so getting those stuck down real well is the key. The rest of the surface is icing on the cake.

• GLIDING. No longer will you slide… rather with an amazingly small amount of effort I was gliding over the surface. As good on roughed up snow cover stuff as it is on fresh wet stuff. 

Cons:

• Gliding. Personally I’d need a solid week or more of daily ice time to retrain my muscle memory to effectively use this stuff. I was sliding so far past what I normally would it was ridiculous. If you’re being honest with yourself and you don’t have good edge work in the butterfly… this probably isn’t for you. I’d like to think I’m pretty good… but instinct had me pushing hard at times and flying across the ice. You’ll get there (or past there) on your initial push but if you can’t control that distance well… you can kiss any chance of recovery on a rebound goodbye. You’ll be way out of position. 

Side Note:

• It has been mentioned with the 3M product (and maybe that does it more so than XPEL) but I noticed a slight stickiness if PPF covered surfaces touched when throwing my gear in the car. But can’t say I noticed it on the ice at all. If it was an issue but I wanted to cover everything forward of the blocks and wedge I’d probably just not apply anything north of the knee block. You really don’t need to apply to those areas though. 

• Like 3

I added some vivid wrap to my knee wings last week. Sliding was on par with the 1S pads I’m trying. I didn’t use a heat gun for the application and will probably re-do it so I can get a bit cleaner application as I missed a small piece trimming the edges and am getting a bit of peeling.

2CA57C38-B34F-4EFE-A5CC-2515A25479ED.jpeg

Edited by wishEMT
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, insertnamehere said:

Nice. Ordered a pair. Little extra peace of mind with the groin and performance bonuses. 

I ordered a few pair for my skate business. Some of my customers are still in cowls, but the ones who didn’t stock up (upon my advise, BTW) on additional cowls and blades are transitioning into cowlingless and were missing their Overdrives. I could have used them last night!

I did this for an inline tournament last year and here you all are doing this for ice lol.  I remember it sliding absolutely wonderfully when I used it on ice too.  The stuff I used started peeling off though.  Once it was all wet enough to remove without fighting it I took everything off and haven't gone back since.  I still have more tape left, not sure if enough to do it all over again though.

42 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

I ordered a few pair for my skate business. Some of my customers are still in cowls, but the ones who didn’t stock up (upon my advise, BTW) on additional cowls and blades are transitioning into cowlingless and were missing their Overdrives. I could have used them last night!

I really think the enhanced sliding ability from the tape combined with the super low attack angle overdrive blades afford will be a huge boon to my game. 

Just now, insertnamehere said:

I really think the enhanced sliding ability from the tape combined with the super low attack angle overdrive blades afford will be a huge boon to my game. 

From what I glean, the new OD’s give you a bail out option from when you’re bottomed out! That’s what I look forward to!

I am just bummed that the guy I was using to coat my blades with something similar to DLC isn’t able to right now. I may research if there is a powder coat that could offer properties other than just cosmetics. 

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I did this for an inline tournament last year and here you all are doing this for ice lol.  I remember it sliding absolutely wonderfully when I used it on ice too.  The stuff I used started peeling off though.  Once it was all wet enough to remove without fighting it I took everything off and haven't gone back since.  I still have more tape left, not sure if enough to do it all over again though.

I thought you used Slick Sheets

16 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

"Slippery tape" from the GSBB threads.  Got it on McMaster.com

Got it

This isn't the same thing!

I'm on my 8th skate with them (5 practice environments and 3 games) and the stuff is still solidly fixed on there

Big fan of this mod, @GoalieNut@ser33@insertnamehere deserve a Bryzgalov style "humongous big" shout out for bringing it up

• Like 2