3M Tape for Sliding? PPF Film

GoalieNut

3 hours ago, johncho said:

If you are in Canada, and can send me your dimension, I could send you some of the 3M if I have enough left on the roll.

EDIT: for free that is

Thanks so much but I'm in Colorado.  I'll give these other brands a test and report back.  Thanks again!

9 hours ago, johncho said:

If you are in Canada, and can send me your dimension, I could send you some of the 3M if I have enough left on the roll.

EDIT: for free that is

Hey man where are you in Canada ? 

I’m from Montreal but I have to go in ottawa area next week don’t know if you are near or one of those city 

13 hours ago, Yzueblin said:

Hey man where are you in Canada ? 

I’m from Montreal but I have to go in ottawa area next week don’t know if you are near or one of those city 

I'm in East Ottawa. 

PM me if you want a section. Give me the dimensions for one and I will cut enough for two,

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
55 minutes ago, Yzueblin said:

Just finish my first game with the tape on knee block only , I’ve put them on my jrz fuzion 2 pads 

slide way better than my 2xpro or gnetik 4 pads ! It’s crazy how this tape work well and it’s super easy to install 

Yes, and once it's on it seems to stay pretty well too

I'm at 5 months on mine, 2-3 skates a week and still going strong

@ZeroGravitas put them on a set and says they slide better than Ultrasonic

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/30/2021 at 2:15 PM, BadAngle41 said:

Update on PPF applied to SpeedSkin:

I purchased XPEL brand PPF along with a pen of their adhesion promoter. Prior to applying it to the pad I cleaned them with 50/50 alcohol mixture and used a spray of water with a few drops of dish soap to slightly lubricate when applying. 
Trimming to shape and leaving 1/2” or so all the way around, I used a vinyl applicator squeegee with microfiber cover to push out any air bubbles. Peeling back slightly at edges and crevices I applied adhesion promoter and it tacks immediately. 
While I have a heat gun, I used a hair dryer on high temp setting to help stretch over corners and a new Exacto blade to carefully trim excess from edges. 
Based on the recommendation of @Chenner29 I applied to the knee blocks and calf wedges, omitted surfaces forward of that for this trial. Lastly I applied to the inner boot just to see how it held up on an area that flexes. Admittedly I was a little sloppy on the corners of knee blocks… but again this was just a trial for me. To wrap it all up I employed the blow dryer again to help work out and creases and bubbles and really push The PPF into crevices. 
6E48037E-3EB3-489D-8B6D-32CD9D82B301.thumb.jpeg.74581956e4157236bb419905af45792c.jpeg1BD383A2-DC23-460D-86A7-5C82DF878AB7.thumb.jpeg.bb8eb276bb61b6e669e6d79904452d84.jpeg

Pros:

• Applied easy and adhered pretty well to SpeedSkin although it certainly grabbed onto jenpro better. Edges are by far the most important areas of adhesion so getting those stuck down real well is the key. The rest of the surface is icing on the cake.

• GLIDING. No longer will you slide… rather with an amazingly small amount of effort I was gliding over the surface. As good on roughed up snow cover stuff as it is on fresh wet stuff. 

Cons:

• Gliding. Personally I’d need a solid week or more of daily ice time to retrain my muscle memory to effectively use this stuff. I was sliding so far past what I normally would it was ridiculous. If you’re being honest with yourself and you don’t have good edge work in the butterfly… this probably isn’t for you. I’d like to think I’m pretty good… but instinct had me pushing hard at times and flying across the ice. You’ll get there (or past there) on your initial push but if you can’t control that distance well… you can kiss any chance of recovery on a rebound goodbye. You’ll be way out of position. 

Side Note:

• It has been mentioned with the 3M product (and maybe that does it more so than XPEL) but I noticed a slight stickiness if PPF covered surfaces touched when throwing my gear in the car. But can’t say I noticed it on the ice at all. If it was an issue but I wanted to cover everything forward of the blocks and wedge I’d probably just not apply anything north of the knee block. You really don’t need to apply to those areas though. 

Hey any update on how this setup is holding up? Is there any issues adhering to the speedskin? I recently picked up a set of lefevres off sideline swap and they have fast glide on em :( so I'm hoping this will be my saviour. 

14 hours ago, Oshnatour said:

Hey any update on how this setup is holding up? Is there any issues adhering to the speedskin? I recently picked up a set of lefevres off sideline swap and they have fast glide on em :( so I'm hoping this will be my saviour. 

It's held up great. No signs of wear on the PPF itself... and no signs of it peeling. I will say much like painting that the devil is in the prep work... so be sure to clean off the areas you'll be applying it to well and be sure to have a heat gun (or blow dryer) around to get a good tight wrap around and behind your corners so that none of your edges are exposed to the ice. 

• 4 weeks later...

I added some of the VViViD 3M ppf to the knee landing and calf wrap of my new to me L20.1s. I went before the lacing on the calf wrap, and went right up to the edge of the inside of the pad on the knee landing, I forget who wrote it in here but I used to factory cut edges for that part to line it up well. I used some relief cuts around the corners on the part that wrapped around the edges in order to make it less wrinkly. I didn't use a heatgun. The speedskin/ fast glide thats on these pads originally slides pretty well in my opinion even on choppy ice, but then again im coming from some very heavily worn sliding surfaces from my old p4s. I have a skate tonight, only a few hours after I applied ppf to the pads so I'll report back on how they feel!

20220916_173401.jpg

20220916_173414.jpg

20220916_173428.jpg

Edited by Oshnatour
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've not tried it yet, but I was doing a bit of digging about UHMW tape and came across this old post about using the tape for Inline.

I bought some from wrapmypads and I also spoke to them about wearing them on ice "Typically guys don't like to use the slick sheet on ice as it will cause too much slide." 

https://wrapmypads.com/collections/all/products/inline-slick-sheet

As soon as my kid has a proper downtime to experiment on the ice, I might try it out on his pads for him. I probably won't put it everywhere like for inline, but maybe just the knees? The sheet itself is slick and reminds me of Delrin plastic that I used to work with. 

image.thumb.png.9f6c3feb71308f412aca0efacda36f5d.png

Edited by johncho
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ok so a few notes.

I've tried both `VViViD 3M Clear Paint Protection Vinyl Film` and the `UHMW plastic` on my kid's pads

3M 

- Make sure you clean the surface really well. When I cleaned using rubbing alcohol/water mix it adhered really well, and stayed on better. Waiting a day after application helped as well. Heat gun made it worse (for me)

- Almost too much slide, he said that he was sometimes hard to stay balanced on his knees when shifting weight.

- There was rubbing/catching on itself, and he was afraid that it would pull itself apart during a game (it came apart for me during a scramble, one ended up sticking to the other)

- Better slide than the UHMW and took abuse quite a bit better. It was also easier to cut and work with and adjust to fit the pads.

- Came off easy, one hand without issue.

UHMW

- Felt like it would stay on much better as you use a heat gun to activate the glue. Harder to cut precise shapes as it's very slippery on the scissors.

- Less slide than the 3M, but more predictable as my kid describes it, he could still feel that it was there.

- No rubbing on itself between the pads

- When applying, the material doesn't like to curve, so you should cut well before the edges, next time I would try a smaller area as the edges took a beating, which made it eventually unusable. 

- Took a bit of effort to take off, no damage underneath removing it after a few games.

• Like 2

Thanks for the update.  I'm getting ready to try this on my EF5 pads.   Planning to clean with alcohol and use a baby shampoo/water mix and a squeegee to apply the film.    Based on the thread, I'm planning to just do the knee/landing area for now and not bother with any of the inner gusset.   I'm going to use cardboard to make a template and wrap the weave area of the knee block, while avoiding the nylon.   Anything I'm missing?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

Thanks for the update.  I'm getting ready to try this on my EF5 pads.   Planning to clean with alcohol and use a baby shampoo/water mix and a squeegee to apply the film.    Based on the thread, I'm planning to just do the knee/landing area for now and not bother with any of the inner gusset.   I'm going to use cardboard to make a template and wrap the weave area of the knee block, while avoiding the nylon.   Anything I'm missing?

Funny enough we were just talking about this today

I just put PPF on my Px3 this morning, took me maybe 15 mins between both pads?  I was chatting with @TheGoalNet and @BadAngle41 at the same time, they can check the timing

I've found that not all PPF is the same.

This is what I've found to work best.  It's literally peel, stick, and trim.  This product on my 20.2 is still going strong a year later:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VG6QYS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I mistakenly bought a big roll of Vvivid PPF that did not wrap around the edges as well.  The film feels noticeably thicker, which is probably why.  It may still work but probably needs some extra steps (priming/cleaning/heating etc).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GOWILOO?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

My top 3:

• Have the PPF wrap around the corner.  Any exposed edges on the flat sliding surface will eventually peel.  If you curve the PPF around the application surface it should last longer (see * below)
    • Get a good pair of small, sharp scissors as they will be a lot easier to handle in the tighter corners
  • It will stick best to Jenpro/Clarino and does not stick well to nylon.
    • I have not tried it on Speedskin, but I believe @BadAngle41 has
  • You really only need to do the knee and calf wings.  Anything else is overkill

* - have the PPF wrap just below the seam where the nylon and jenpro meet

image.thumb.png.06124043a2d9e53863de6f47f2b20678.png

It's also a good practice to line up the straight factory cut edge on the film roll to the inner gusset on your pads where you start.  Peel a little, stick it, push out air bubbles, and slowly peel as you get more of the PPF onto the pad.  This makes the material easier to manage and keeps it from bunching up and sticking to itself. 

image.thumb.png.bad8049a70c6795bea239300f86f00c9.png

Good luck, hope this helps - reach out via PM or whatever if you have questions

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Funny enough we were just talking about this today

I just put PPF on my Px3 this morning, took me maybe 15 mins between both pads?  I was chatting with @TheGoalNet and @BadAngle41 at the same time, they can check the timing

I've found that not all PPF is the same.

This is what I've found to work best.  It's literally peel, stick, and trim.  This product on my 20.2 is still going strong a year later:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VG6QYS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I mistakenly bought a big roll of Vvivid PPF that did not wrap around the edges as well.  The film feels noticeably thicker, which is probably why.  It may still work but probably needs some extra steps (priming/cleaning/heating etc).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GOWILOO?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

My top 3:

• Have the PPF wrap around the corner.  Any exposed edges on the flat sliding surface will eventually peel.  If you curve the PPF around the application surface it should last longer (see * below)
    • Get a good pair of small, sharp scissors as they will be a lot easier to handle in the tighter corners
  • It will stick best to Jenpro/Clarino and does not stick well to nylon.
    • I have not tried it on Speedskin, but I believe @BadAngle41 has
  • You really only need to do the knee and calf wings.  Anything else is overkill

* - have the PPF wrap just below the seam where the nylon and jenpro meet

image.thumb.png.06124043a2d9e53863de6f47f2b20678.png

It's also a good practice to line up the straight factory cut edge on the film roll to the inner gusset on your pads where you start.  Peel a little, stick it, push out air bubbles, and slowly peel as you get more of the PPF onto the pad.  This makes the material easier to manage and keeps it from bunching up and sticking to itself. 

image.thumb.png.bad8049a70c6795bea239300f86f00c9.png

Good luck, hope this helps - reach out via PM or whatever if you have questions

Can second this, too much PPF gets too crazy.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on my pads. My very first impression was that they actually slid worse... just for like 30 seconds. After I got a little water / snow on them, the rumors are true, they slid incredibly well. Nowadays I don't have as much issues with the first slide, but I still tend to do a few butterfly slides back and forth at the end of warm-ups. It helps to have a little water on the film. 

I kinda wish I did a little bit better job of making clean cuts and wraping the film further around the edge, because there are a few spots where its starting to peel off a tiny bit, but that's more cause of my error than anything else I feel. Its been about 3.5 months that I've had them on and I've been skating about 2.5 times a week on average, and they've held up great! That being said I wouldn't be surprised if I had to reapply every year or two, which I consider no biggie at all considering the upside.

The sliding has really been very nice, and it seems very low maintenance. I'm just a beer leaguer but I feel this mod has made an improvement in my game! Overall consider me a believer! I don't think you'll catch me anytime in the near future without this stuff on my pads!

• Like 1

• TheGoalNet changed the title to 3M Tape for Sliding? PPF Film
  • 3 months later...

So my kid's season was over a while ago, and I was cleaning out his gear and wanted to remove the film from his pads (CCM Axis 1.5). 

The thing had taken a beating on the edges but was on and still effective, I was quite impressed. Also to my surprise it was quite hard to remove, so something must've gone wrong with the application that I had done on my pads at the time. 

The process for his was to clean the area with alcohol solution and no heat gun afterwards (also, wait a day before playing on it). I also wonder though if mine was a counterfeit from Amazon.

Edited by johncho

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey all, just thought I would chime in my experience with the film because I ended up taking it off after 2 hours of use. I used: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M19KCBB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Overall, like others have said, easy to put on and it certainly does what we're all hoping for, essentially eliminating friction. I wrapped ONLY my knee wings and I was absolutely flying. I am using Warrior G2 Pros, which weren't bad at sliding to begin with, but you know how it goes on TGN, you get to reading posts and think, THAT'S what will make me a good goalie finally: new pads or mods! Haha, anyway, on to my negative experience and a question for you all who have kept it.

My problem was just over sliding like crazy. I was slamming into posts, spinning out of position. The worst is when telescoping backward on a break away, if I went down into a butterfly or the spread eagle leg thing (I'm sure there's a more technical term) I would just fly backward into the net leaving the net basically empty. I guess I didn't realize how much I relied upon Jenpro's little friction to control and limit my slides. I finally tore off the film in the middle of a game, and immediately had control back. I could still slide fine, but I would naturally slow down without always having to catch a skate edge.

My question for you all who still enjoy the film and flying effects, do you always have to catch a skate edge in order to stop or control your slides? I still do lift a leg and catch an edge on big pushes across the crease, but I'm used to the jenpro friction helping a little. For some saves I don't lift a leg at all, I push into a a full b-fly slide and arrive pretty much square to the puck (both knees and pads down) like I was aiming for. But maybe I'm just lacking technique to control the flying slides. I've been training hip flexors and glutes in the gym a lot to increase my pushing power, so maybe I just don't need the help anymore? 

I will say I had an amazing backdoor save on a wrap around against the fastest player on the other team. I was looking over my left shoulder (he was behind the net) and I just saw him suddenly break the other way fast. I just loaded and pushed with all I had, and I slammed into the post in a full b-fly slide just as he was trying to stuff it in, all he got was pad. 😎 Not sure I would have made the save that definitively (or at all) without the film.

Thanks ya'll!

• Like 1

What I did with my son who said it was too slippery was to apply the film in only a 1/2 of where he would land. I think I did it closer to the outer edge, but hindsight I should have done it closer to the inner edge as it would have taken the abuse better, and it's where your weight would be when trying to power push.

Kind of like how curling shoes work in tandem.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2023 at 11:39 AM, johncho said:

What I did with my son who said it was too slippery was to apply the film in only a 1/2 of where he would land. I think I did it closer to the outer edge, but hindsight I should have done it closer to the inner edge as it would have taken the abuse better, and it's where your weight would be when trying to power push.

Kind of like how curling shoes work in tandem.

That's not a bad idea at all, thanks! At this point I think I'm also dealing with a "lack of technique issue". I grew up playing roller and only have played 1 full season of Ice. I had rollerfly slide plates for years so I got used to some level of sliding but never had to learn who to stop the slide (due to lots of remaining friction). So for right now, pads that slide less actually work better. 

I probably need to just keep playing, maybe get a little coaching, and then perhaps I could control the speed of crazy fast pads. 

• 1 month later...

I'm about to try this, but my next game is in 10 hours, and I have games pretty much everyday so waiting a day to apply really doesn't work well due to my morning - evening times. I have Warrior R/GT2s so it I can wrap the 3M Film around the knee block and under to protect the edges from getting contact. Do I need time for these to cure?

I was also only going to apply it to the knee block where you can lift it up from the velcro. So not on that little part to the very left, or the calf area.

image.png.2f6548fb56a9c73efa6635382ceb5c77.png

I had enough of a roll to test the waters so I put a square on each knee block. If it comes off I'll just deal with it at that time. I'll report back after my game. My only worry of course is breakaways and over sliding back to one of the posts ending me either past the net some how or inside. 🤣

Edited by OldSchoolGoalie