Mach - Bauer 2022 Supreme Line

TheGoalNet

On 6/9/2022 at 9:21 AM, wvuviv30 said:

For those that have had the Mach's on the ice... how is the Mach (shin) bracket?  Is it noticeable?

Hopefully someone else can chime in too, but I don't really notice it. Maybe the pad is heavier? But I don't notice the seal being better or anything.

59 minutes ago, punkard said:

I've tried them, not sure what you mean by shin bracket? 

There are internal plastic brackets in the calf now. if you go custom, you can spec without them if you wanted.

MachCalf.gif.a3001324c274deaccb56c55d382

• Like 1

Gotcha, thanks. I'm coming from 10 year old gear, so the stability was much better than my current gear. How much that is down to those brackets? I couldn't tell you. There was nothing that made me think "oh hey, there's plastic in there" if that's what you're after. Pads were really comfortable to wear and easy to move around in.

On 5/4/2022 at 10:30 AM, ZeroGravitas said:

Any link like this for Konekt? My true skates are absolutely destroyed and I'm waiting to order from the Bauer website as I have a code. This July release time I less than ideal 

7 minutes ago, Charlie T said:

Any link like this for Konekt? My true skates are absolutely destroyed and I'm waiting to order from the Bauer website as I have a code. This July release time I less than ideal 

I just posted the Bauer 2022 Full Line Catalog in the Files section. There's some great information in there about Konekt. There's also another thread about Konekt with some photos and discussion.

3 hours ago, Charlie T said:

Those pages for Mach came up about two weeks before the Mach gear actually launched... so we should make a mental note to check the website in about four weeks.

My custom Mach's arrived yesterday after placing the order on April 1st (edited) - basically a 10 week turnaround. 120 degree soft boot, flex level 3 (Supreme), with Stabliflex rather than Slide as I prefer some give on the pad and landing area.

Already got on the ice last night with them and overall positive impressions. Hot rebounds as to be expected, as I went Pro Custom I got a smaller balance plate (NHL spec) rather than the massive pillow (which is honestly too big imo), and the new calf strapping system is a game changer for me. The pad feels connected to you, but also allows for a smooth rotation while sitting the pad a tiny bit higher on your legs. It's better than the professor strap and there's no reason to strap the knee block to the wing anymore. 

The one concern I have so far is they definitely don't slide as well as the 3X or Hyperlites. I've seen others report this as well, and I'll update after a few more sessions but I can feel more dragging during the slide and throughout the game there was significant build up of snow along the landing area which hasn't happened with any of the other pads I've used recently. TBD after more sessions, but it's a bit disappointing considering these were supposed to be an improvement.

I've seen a fair bit of chatter around the modified landing area for the calf plate in that its not perfectly flat - I honestly didn't notice the change and these pads are perfectly balanced / planted while in the butterfly. They feel glued to the ice once you're in position and with the new strapping system I found it easier than ever to push off while staying connected to the pad.

custom set.jpg

Edited by RecoveringGoalie1
Incorrect data on order
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, RecoveringGoalie1 said:

My custom Mach's arrived yesterday after placing the order last week of April - basically a 10 week turnaround. 120 degree soft boot, flex level 3 (Supreme), with Stabliflex rather than Slide as I prefer some give on the pad and landing area.

Already got on the ice last night with them and overall positive impressions. Hot rebounds as to be expected, as I went Pro Custom I got a smaller balance plate (NHL spec) rather than the massive pillow (which is honestly too big imo), and the new calf strapping system is a game changer for me. The pad feels connected to you, but also allows for a smooth rotation while sitting the pad a tiny bit higher on your legs. It's better than the professor strap and there's no reason to strap the knee block to the wing anymore. 

The one concern I have so far is they definitely don't slide as well as the 3X or Hyperlites. I've seen others report this as well, and I'll update after a few more sessions but I can feel more dragging during the slide and throughout the game there was significant build up of snow along the landing area which hasn't happened with any of the other pads I've used recently. TBD after more sessions, but it's a bit disappointing considering these were supposed to be an improvement.

custom set.jpg

Nice set… I placed my order april 26th and my set have yet to arrive. Your counting is off however… this week (june 13th) is the seventh week of waiting :) 

My ultrasonic do have a lot of snow buildup too, honestly curious to try this new skin. Time will tell.

13 minutes ago, RecoveringGoalie1 said:

My custom Mach's arrived yesterday after placing the order last week of April - basically a 10 week turnaround. 120 degree soft boot, flex level 3 (Supreme), with Stabliflex rather than Slide as I prefer some give on the pad and landing area.

I've seen a fair bit of chatter around the modified landing area for the calf plate in that its not perfectly flat - I honestly didn't notice the change and these pads are perfectly balanced / planted while in the butterfly. They feel glued to the ice once you're in position and with the new strapping system I found it easier than ever to push off while staying connected to the pad.

custom set.jpg

Sweet pads, fellow baby blue enthusiast!

I suspect the smaller calf landing comes with all Custom pads - Pro and Pro Custom. The phrasing that Bauer used when I asked them was that the "NHL/IIHF plate is used for all custom orders". Bolded for emphasis by me.

I also noticed that they don't slide as well as Ultrasonic. Personally, I like my Ultrasonics a lot more than these for a number of reasons and have been yearning to go back... I'll keep at it though.

13 hours ago, RecoveringGoalie1 said:

My custom Mach's arrived yesterday after placing the order on April 1st (edited) - basically a 10 week turnaround. 120 degree soft boot, flex level 3 (Supreme), with Stabliflex rather than Slide as I prefer some give on the pad and landing area.

13 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Sweet pads, fellow baby blue enthusiast!

I suspect the smaller calf landing comes with all Custom pads - Pro and Pro Custom. The phrasing that Bauer used when I asked them was that the "NHL/IIHF plate is used for all custom orders". Bolded for emphasis by me.

I also noticed that they don't slide as well as Ultrasonic. Personally, I like my Ultrasonics a lot more than these for a number of reasons and have been yearning to go back... I'll keep at it though. 

I'd be interested in helping to workshop some solutions - but full disclosure, I have not skated in the Mach and am not planning on getting a set

@RecoveringGoalie1 - Where's the snow buildup for you?  If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it's occuring in the circled areas below.  The surface isn't completely flat and I can see snow getting trapped in there.  I've stolen a sliding surface pic from @ZeroGravitas's review thread to illustrate at the bottom of the post.

To start, have either of you considered using regular toe lace instead of the elastic toe tie? 

It's a little weird to explain, but IMO the elastic toe can exacerbate the issue because it inherently will elongate when it catches friction from the ice, no matter how much momentum you have going into your lead/slide skate.  Regular skate lace will let out X number of inches, and then the momentum from your sliding skate leg will take over. 

image.png.ffb6c31709122ae3ab66c6e0a722fc9e.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I'd be interested in helping to workshop some solutions - but full disclosure, I have not skated in the Mach and am not planning on getting a set

@RecoveringGoalie1 - Where's the snow buildup for you?  If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it's occuring in the circled areas below.  The surface isn't completely flat and I can see snow getting trapped in there.  I've stolen a sliding surface pic from @ZeroGravitas's review thread to illustrate at the bottom of the post.

To start, have either of you considered using regular toe lace instead of the elastic toe tie? 

It's a little weird to explain, but IMO the elastic toe can exacerbate the issue because it inherently will elongate when it catches friction from the ice, no matter how much momentum you have going into your lead/slide skate.  Regular skate lace will let out X number of inches, and then the momentum from your sliding skate leg will take over. 

I agree with your logic. but my 1S for example has no problems slipping on any ice even though I have elastic toe bindings

the more I read this topic, the more I understand that I will not buy Mach. maybe someday if there is a break in the ice or get a spare pair of pads, I use some of Mach's ideas on my 1S

Edited by ser33

6 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I did a quick free body diagram that emulates the situation. The tension in  cord cannot affect sliding significantly because the tension pulls your feet towards the pad, but you slide in the same direction as this force. Also it is a force within the analyzed system, a bit like how an airplane is not affected by the rotation of the Earth because it already rotates with it.

The friction coefficient of materials is different for static (to initiate movement) and dynamic (friction while already moving), so this new skin could have a higher value for one or both of those. At this point, it could be that the coating on the skin is a new, rougher material. Is the sliding issue a generalized thing or is it only when you’re static in the butterfly and you push to slide?

The material on the sliding surface (knee and calf) seems the same as prior gens from what I see with the pictures, so it cannot be that (could be wrong here).

From my mechanical designer/ jr. Engineer stand point, I can’t wait to actually use my incoming set to test this, and try to quantify it somehow.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

It’s honestly concerning reading the thread. I’m just hoping my Mach’s are halfway decent

Knowing the hours Bauer put into testing their products, I would be surprised a really significant downgrade would pass all testing, all feedback they get. If that sl1d3r skin (sick gamertag B4u3r 😂) is more durable, but slides x<5% less than cortech st, I’m willing to bite the bullet, cortech st was already durable enough for me.

Edited by maxtm30
Missed the sliding factor x < 5%

9 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

You're correct on that's where I find most of the snow build up.  I use elastic as it helps with my hips and its worth the trade off even if skate laces help mitigate this issue.

@maxtm30 "Is the sliding issue a generalized thing or is it only when you’re static in the butterfly and you push to slide?"

I find it's an issue in both cases, whether that's pushing in the butterfly or just going side to side. But it's definitely more noticeable while in the static position - you don't get that same beautiful glide of last generation where it felt like one good push could send you outside your crease.

I was on the ice with them again last night and it confirmed that these simply do not slide as well as last generation. The ice was in perfect condition and I'd dialed in my strapping by this point so there's no excuses with those factors controlled for.

That being said I'm still quite happy with the Mach's as the strapping on the Mach's is a huge step up for me and I don't feel like it's hurting my game as of yet. Or it's Stockholm syndrome and I don't want to lament the cost of these customs...

2 hours ago, maxtm30 said:

I did a quick free body diagram that emulates the situation. The tension in  cord cannot affect sliding significantly because the tension pulls your feet towards the pad, but you slide in the same direction as this force. Also it is a force within the analyzed system, a bit like how an airplane is not affected by the rotation of the Earth because it already rotates with it.

The friction coefficient of materials is different for static (to initiate movement) and dynamic (friction while already moving), so this new skin could have a higher value for one or both of those. At this point, it could be that the coating on the skin is a new, rougher material. Is the sliding issue a generalized thing or is it only when you’re static in the butterfly and you push to slide?

The material on the sliding surface (knee and calf) seems the same as prior gens from what I see with the pictures, so it cannot be that (could be wrong here).

From my mechanical designer/ jr. Engineer stand point, I can’t wait to actually use my incoming set to test this, and try to quantify it somehow.

Thanks for clarifying, and it's always great to get a more technical look at how things work.

I've been workshopping both scenarios in my head, and while I don't have the technical background that you do, I still wonder if there is merit in having a fixed end point (ie. 2" of skate lace slack) versus a variable end point (ie. an elastic toe which expands/contracts based on how much energy is put into it).  Having played in a Lefevre 20.1 with Fastglide (IMO a poor choice of material that does neither of these things) and elastic toes, I felt the elastic toes in those expanding faster than I was sliding.

It's been discussed a few times on here, and IIRC @ThatCarGuy and I are in the same boat in that regular skate lace is better than an elastic toe in isolated scenarios like bumping off the post from an RVH. 

IIRC the skin is different (SLIDER skin) but I could not pick up any differences visually or by touch

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RecoveringGoalie1 said:

You're correct on that's where I find most of the snow build up.  I use elastic as it helps with my hips and its worth the trade off even if skate laces help mitigate this issue.

@maxtm30 "Is the sliding issue a generalized thing or is it only when you’re static in the butterfly and you push to slide?"

I find it's an issue in both cases, whether that's pushing in the butterfly or just going side to side. But it's definitely more noticeable while in the static position - you don't get that same beautiful glide of last generation where it felt like one good push could send you outside your crease.

I was on the ice with them again last night and it confirmed that these simply do not slide as well as last generation. The ice was in perfect condition and I'd dialed in my strapping by this point so there's no excuses with those factors controlled for.

That being said I'm still quite happy with the Mach's as the strapping on the Mach's is a huge step up for me and I don't feel like it's hurting my game as of yet. Or it's Stockholm syndrome and I don't want to lament the cost of these customs...

Continuing on in the workshop

Do you find you're losing slide leading with the pad face (left pic) or with the skate (right pic)? or both?

If leading with the pad, have you noticed any tendency for the pad to roll onto its face?

Does your slide degrade over the skate; can it be due to ice building up the center of the channel?  Based on your remark here it seems as though the slide sucks even on a fresh sheet

image.png.f9a64b00db1565a184b19ae8eb1e360f.png

Would you be willing to try skate lace for one session and provide feedback?  Don't want you to risk getting hurt if you have serious hip/ankle/knee issues, so if you're not comfortable/unwilling then we will rule out this as a possible solution and I'll look for another guinea pig (lol)

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

Thanks for clarifying, and it's always great to get a more technical look at how things work.

I've been workshopping both scenarios in my head, and while I don't have the technical background that you do, I still wonder if there is merit in having a fixed end point (ie. 2" of skate lace slack) versus a variable end point (ie. an elastic toe which expands/contracts based on how much energy is put into it).  Having played in a Lefevre 20.1 with Fastglide (IMO a poor choice of material that does neither of these things) and elastic toes, I felt the elastic toes in those expanding faster than I was sliding.

It's been discussed a few times on here, and IIRC @ThatCarGuy and I are in the same boat in that regular skate lace is better than an elastic toe in isolated scenarios like bumping off the post from an RVH. 

IIRC the skin is different (SLIDER skin) but I could not pick up any differences visually or by touch

I too use skate laces. I don’t think it affects the sliding simply because of the shear weight applied at the knee level VS the weight of a foot.

Your theory about elastic might make sense with the dragging leg, but the drag would need to be pretty significant to hinder sliding.

I will have skate laces and my set should come soon, if I don’t see any difference you may be right after all :P 

4 hours ago, maxtm30 said:

I too use skate laces. I don’t think it affects the sliding simply because of the shear weight applied at the knee level VS the weight of a foot.

Your theory about elastic might make sense with the dragging leg, but the drag would need to be pretty significant to hinder sliding.

I will have skate laces and my set should come soon, if I don’t see any difference you may be right after all :P 

Ehh, we'll see

You're the engineer

I go around telling jokes and share memes for a living (I work in sales)

• Haha 2

On 11/16/2021 at 11:31 AM, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

One lightest pads on the market🤦 External breaks have been getting less popular for years. Crawford had none, Smith has none, Tokarski who wears a pad style of your apparent era has no outer breaks either. Bauer has evolved the gear industry in a way like none other over the past 10 to 15 years. Evolution is good for the game.

Bauer has shown the rest of the industry that prefers to make gear overseas how to do it in a marketable way. For the industry itself and pros that get stuff replaced with little to no financial impact, awesome. For those that value durability and long-term quality, not so much. To each his own, but let's not pretend the build quality is on par with Canadian-made gear. It can't be and isn't intended to.