Mach - Bauer 2022 Supreme Line

TheGoalNet

Couple of questions for clarification, so any custom order does not allow for the stock calf setup, pillow, she’ll shape, etc?  Or is it just an option to go NHL spec or retail stock spec?

I know the goalie community hates Trav4Oilers on YouTube, but he got the retail pads and hated them.  Made a point in his video to say no NHL goalie likes them and they are just all wearing hyperlites with the Mach graphic.  My assumption would be that pros don’t want to experiment with a new pad in season and more pros will be in Full Mach come next season.  Is this a bad assumption?

I have a set of retail Machs coming and I’m excited to try some of the new features on it.

1 hour ago, 406goalie said:

Couple of questions for clarification, so any custom order does not allow for the stock calf setup, pillow, she’ll shape, etc?  Or is it just an option to go NHL spec or retail stock spec?

I know the goalie community hates Trav4Oilers on YouTube, but he got the retail pads and hated them.  Made a point in his video to say no NHL goalie likes them and they are just all wearing hyperlites with the Mach graphic.  My assumption would be that pros don’t want to experiment with a new pad in season and more pros will be in Full Mach come next season.  Is this a bad assumption?

I have a set of retail Machs coming and I’m excited to try some of the new features on it.

First of all trav has lost all of his connections with the manufacturers and the only reason he got those pads is a fan gave him a Bauer code. But yes any custom Mach set uses the Ultrasonic calf plate and Hyperlite calf pillow. From my understanding the new Mach strapping was such a jump for most guys that they didn’t want to leave the Ultrasonic/Hyperlite tune fit style. 

He doesn’t know what those guys are wearing anymore than we do.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 406goalie said:

I talked with some guys at my local store since I used the Mach demo and they all suggest people to use hyperlite pads with stiffer option and the Mach skin  

they hate the new sliding material and except if you play in a pro level you don’t need a Mach stiff pads in a beer league 

im already curious about the next Vapor line next year if they will stay with the new sliding material or not 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yzueblin said:

I talked with some guys at my local store since I used the Mach demo and they all suggest people to use hyperlite pads with stiffer option and the Mach skin  

they hate the new sliding material and except if you play in a pro level you don’t need a Mach stiff pads in a beer league 

im already curious about the next Vapor line next year if they will stay with the new sliding material or not 

Curious. One would custom spec the Hyperlites to be stiffer? What customizer options would I need to choose, to get a Hyperlite to play like a blocking pad (stiff pad, hard rebounds)?

4 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

Curious. One would custom spec the Hyperlites to be stiffer? What customizer options would I need to choose, to get a Hyperlite to play like a blocking pad (stiff pad, hard rebounds)?

You'll have to select the Pro Custom option in order to do it but:

Construction: Hyperlite

Pad Specs -> Flex: You can choose any flex you want, but Hyperlite is the softest.

Pad Specs -> Knee -> Knee Block: Whatever you want.

You wouldn't be able to spec a Surpeme-style stiffer boot, though.

I believe your 2S Pro are considered Stiff - same stiffness level as Mach.

Edited by ZeroGravitas
Typo.

41 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

You'll do to select the Pro Custom option in order to do it but:

Construction: Hyperlite

Pad Specs -> Flex: You can choose any flex you want, but Hyperlite is the softest.

Pad Specs -> Knee -> Knee Block: Whatever you want.

You wouldn't be able to spec a Surpeme-style stiffer boot, though.

I believe your 2S Pro are considered Stiff - same stiffness level as Mach.

Perfect answer here 

the only difference is the angle of the boot ! You can’t have the 120 dégrée with the hyperlite but you can choose to have a thicker pads like supreme 

1 hour ago, ilyazhito said:

The hyperlite pads is not soft enough to be called a hybrid pads. For me a hybrid pads need to have some torsional flex at the knee like gnetik / V9 / 12.2 and eflex 

for me the hyperlite pads still a blocking pads but the major difference come from the hyperlite flex with a pad like a S . That help you to close your narrow butterfly. With the 2xpro and supreme it’s was hard for a beer league goalie to close perfectly the butterfly if he doesn’t have a good hip mobility 

Just got my Mach gloves, coming from the Ultrasonic which became my all time favorite glove, it definitely feels different.  Closure is great and similar, but that back hand and strapping is something to get used to.  At first I couldn't even get my fingers into the glove, especially my pinky.  Had to really adjust and loosen the strapping, and even then it's pretty tight on the fingers, but I guess that has to do with no wrist strapping.  Feels similar to how broken in my Ultrasonic was when I got it back in January.  Have about a week till hockey starts here, so will start with my normal process of leaving it closed and swapping to open for half days.  I battle pretty bad Carpal tunnel in my fingers, which makes it hard to shut gloves unless they are super broken in (From years of playing goalie in soccer growing up and in college).  Will see if I need to do the hot water method.  

Has anyone used a heat gun or blow dryer to heat the glove instead of the hot water method?  Wonder if it may melt the new materials or if it is similar to hot water being added?

Pads are being delivered today.

On 8/6/2022 at 10:19 PM, ilyazhito said:

So the 2x, 3x and Hyperlite pads are more comparable to a CCM Premier-type pad than to a true hybrid pad? 

I think it's too reductionist to try to compare a specific Bauer pad to a specific CCM pad. Both Bauers lines are built for the butterfly; they just cater to goalies with different preferences.

Just got my Mach gloves, coming from the Ultrasonic which became my all time favorite glove, it definitely feels different.  Closure is great and similar, but that back hand and strapping is something to get used to.  At first I couldn't even get my fingers into the glove, especially my pinky.  Had to really adjust and loosen the strapping, and even then it's pretty tight on the fingers, but I guess that has to do with no wrist strapping.  Feels similar to how broken in my Ultrasonic was when I got it back in January.  Have about a week till hockey starts here, so will start with my normal process of leaving it closed and swapping to open for half days.  I battle pretty bad Carpal tunnel in my fingers, which makes it hard to shut gloves unless they are super broken in (From years of playing goalie in soccer growing up and in college).  Will see if I need to do the hot water method.  

Has anyone used a heat gun or blow dryer to heat the glove instead of the hot water method?  Wonder if it may melt the new materials or if it is similar to hot water being added?

Pads are being delivered today.

My Mach catcher felt quite a bit stiffer than my Ultrasonics straight out of the box, despite similar specs between the two (reinforced tee + pro palm). I put the Mach in a baseball glove steamer for a couple minutes and also alternated between tying it shut while I slept and working it in during the day. Now it opens and closes much better.

You should be fine with the heat gun as long as you don't focus any particular spot for too long (and depending on the amount of heat that the gun generates).

21 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

I think it's too reductionist to try to compare a specific Bauer pad to a specific CCM pad. Both Bauers lines are built for the butterfly; they just cater to goalies with different preferences.

My Mach catcher felt quite a bit stiffer than my Ultrasonics straight out of the box, despite similar specs between the two (reinforced tee + pro palm). I put the Mach in a baseball glove steamer for a couple minutes and also alternated between tying it shut while I slept and working it in during the day. Now it opens and closes much better.

You should be fine with the heat gun as long as you don't focus any particular spot for too long (and depending on the amount of heat that the gun generates).

I compared the CCM Premier line to the Bauer Vapor line, because both pads are somewhat stiff pads that have a pre-curve. If I recall correctly, Vapors are too stiff to be considered a true hybrid pad, but Premiers were some of the softer butterfly pads. 

On 8/6/2022 at 5:24 AM, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

He doesn’t know what those guys are wearing anymore than we do.

I always assumed one could tell by seeing how the leg channel was done on the pads the pros wear, since all the Bauer leg channels are pretty distinct, but I am willing to be completely wrong. 

12 hours ago, keeperton said:

I always assumed one could tell by seeing how the leg channel was done on the pads the pros wear, since all the Bauer leg channels are pretty distinct, but I am willing to be completely wrong. 

What those guys wear is so custom that they have part of one pad there and something totally different somewhere else. Unless its stock we are all probably wrong

• Like 1

Having been on the ice 10+ times with my new Machs, a minor update: the pads have broken in, and overall I'm happy with them. The stability in the butterfly is unmatched with any other pad I've worn, and I've never felt limited by them during play. I credit a lot of the feel to the new strapping system and genuinely think it's the best strapping system Bauer has ever done. I customized my pads with a stabiliflex knee as I feel stabilislide is unnecessarily tough on your hips and I have no regrets on that front.

Either the skin has 'broken in' or I've simply adjusted to it and I no longer it's holding me back when it comes to sliding around on the ice. That being said, if I could go back in time I would have gone with the Mach graphic on the Vapour line and simply had the Hyperlites stiffened up to feel similar to the Mach to get the best of both worlds.

If you struggle with your butterfly / don't have great hip mobility, I'd highly recommend staying away from the Mach/Supreme line for longevity sake.

On 8/9/2022 at 12:15 PM, RecoveringGoalie1 said:

Either the skin has 'broken in' or I've simply adjusted to it and I no longer it's holding me back when it comes to sliding around on the ice.

I was just about to come and say the same thing. Even after just 3 skates sliding feels much easier than the first few sessions. I still get caught on snow from time to time since the seal on the pads is so good that it just pushes the snow. 

4 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I was just about to come and say the same thing. Even after just 3 skates sliding feels much easier than the first few sessions. I still get caught on snow from time to time since the seal on the pads is so good that it just pushes the snow. 

I've never heard of the skin on pads breaking in, but it makes sense. Gloves and skates also need to break in for optimal performance. 

22 hours ago, 406goalie said:

Set completed today rink opens next weekend for the season!  Damn am I excited to try the strapping.  The pads are so light!

87B5A082-83FD-4D12-A71B-FBA4E83EA684.jpeg

This looks awesome. If it works well, I might buy a used Mach set later, or else save up to buy a Mach 2 when that comes out. 

1 hour ago, ilyazhito said:

This looks awesome. If it works well, I might buy a used Mach set later, or else save up to buy a Mach 2 when that comes out. 

Honestly I would go for the M5 Pro's, at least for the leg pads. I haven't personally demoed them, but I played around with them in store and they seem to be 90% of what my Pro level Mach's offer. May not last as long, but if you're playing beer league 1-2x a week you won't notice a huge difference.

11 hours ago, RecoveringGoalie1 said:

Honestly I would go for the M5 Pro's, at least for the leg pads. I haven't personally demoed them, but I played around with them in store and they seem to be 90% of what my Pro level Mach's offer. May not last as long, but if you're playing beer league 1-2x a week you won't notice a huge difference.

I play both ice and ball hockey. This means that I might be playing up to 6 days a week when I'm not busy with school or refereeing. I don't know how long M5s will take that. 

This is why I have mostly worn used pro-level pads. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, 406goalie said:

Is it true that the Bauer Mach’s aren’t the lightest pad on the market, I think I just saw that True 20.2 weigh 4.75lbs and the Mach at 4.9lbs.  Anyone care to confirm?

I wouldn't be over concerned about .15 lbs difference, that less than the weight of a tennis ball.  

I would be more interested in a comparison of how much water/sweat they soak up.  I'd say try put the pads in a greenhouse mister and for 30 minutes and then weight them again.

Edited by wvuviv30
  • Like 2