Jump to content

2022 Bauer Mystery Skate - Konekt Goalie Skate


TheGoalNet
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Nice. Weight is lower than I expected. I just want to know when can I buuuuuuyyyyyy?????

I literally have the money sitting in my account waiting. I hope not long. I might just go true again if its gonna be a while. My guess is april as with most Bauer new releases

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/27/2021 at 10:00 AM, ThatCarGuy said:

There’s more to both of those than that. The pads being switched to Velcro led to lower weight and these skates will lead to a more consistent fit. 

What exactly is an inconsistent fit? This concept is foreign to me.  Are skates fitting inconsistently a problem for some that needed solving?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

What exactly is an inconsistent fit? This concept is foreign to me.  Are skates fitting inconsistently a problem for some that needed solving?

Some of us prefer to have the top laces loose while having mid and lower tighter and getting the same tightness every time is difficult on those upper laces. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Some of us prefer to have the top laces loose while having mid and lower tighter and getting the same tightness every time is difficult on those upper laces. 

Yes and laces can flex and change over time with moisture, etc. These skates are all I think about every time I lace up my stupid traditional lace skates! Its 2021, we shouldn't be holding our skates on our feet with strings!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmm. Ok, well I guess I can not deny that lace tightness potentially varies.  I have certainly gone out to the ice ready to play with both a skate that was too loose or too tight and noticed it and said "well, this sucks."  But, it certainly is not common by any stretch of the imagination and when it has happened it was my fault, not the laces' fault.

That said, I'm not saying Bauer has created a problem out of nothing and then proceeded to solve it with a revolutionary new development, but for me personally, I'm not sold on the issue of "fit consistency" being a relevant enough problem that warrants a solution, much less a solution that looks and feels this radically different from the traditional version of skates with laces.

The look of these skates alone by itself is enough to keep me from being excited or a potential buyer and then on top of that given my thoughts on the practicality of (not) needing this solution to a (not) problem, I guess I just end up saying "that's neat and I'm glad people are excited, but it's not for me."  I also share the concern raised early in this thread about those latches destroying the bottoms of pads in the boot channel, especially with the materials used on pads like Vaughn, where even Pro Laces velcro tabs create wear points on the nylon under the boot.

I'm late to reading about these skates, but they strike me like Brian's BOA dials:  too other-looking with no practical need.

But for sure, kudos to Bauer for pushing the envelope on development and gear evolution...sincerely.

'

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Hmm. Ok, well I guess I can not deny that lace tightness potentially varies.  I have certainly gone out to the ice ready to play with both a skate that was too loose or too tight and noticed it and said "well, this sucks."  But, it certainly is not common by any stretch of the imagination and when it has happened it was my fault, not the laces' fault.

That said, I'm not saying Bauer has created a problem out of nothing and then proceeded to solve it with a revolutionary new development, but for me personally, I'm not sold on the issue of "fit consistency" being a relevant enough problem that warrants a solution, much less a solution that looks and feels this radically different from the traditional version of skates with laces.

The look of these skates alone by itself is enough to keep me from being excited or a potential buyer and then on top of that given my thoughts on the practicality of (not) needing this solution to a (not) problem, I guess I just end up saying "that's neat and I'm glad people are excited, but it's not for me."  I also share the concern raised early in this thread about those latches destroying the bottoms of pads in the boot channel, especially with the materials used on pads like Vaughn, where even Pro Laces velcro tabs create wear points on the nylon under the boot.

I'm late to reading about these skates, but they strike me like Brian's BOA dials:  too other-looking with no practical need.

But for sure, kudos to Bauer for pushing the envelope on development and gear evolution...sincerely.

'

I'm not certain that bauer created this issue, I think we may have made it by trying to provide an excuse as to why bauer would use something other than laces. My guess is that having a hinge with laces caused excessive lace bite and if you're going to design a skate inspire by a ski boot why not go all the way.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I'm not certain that bauer created this issue, I think we may have made it by trying to provide an excuse as to why bauer would use something other than laces. My guess is that having a hinge with laces caused excessive lace bite and if you're going to design a skate inspire by a ski boot why not go all the way.

Yes, for the record I am less (or not at all) focused on "fit consistency" than I am on the time and effort it takes to lace my skates. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Yes, for the record I am less (or not at all) focused on "fit consistency" than I am on the time and effort it takes to lace my skates. 

I was assuming this would be a motivator for a lot of goalies but again, this is one motivator that I have not ever shared. 

I can't remember once in my life ever when dressing thinking "this take too much time/effort." 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, seagoal said:

I was assuming this would be a motivator for a lot of goalies but again, this is one motivator that I have not ever shared. 

I can't remember once in my life ever when dressing thinking "this take too much time/effort." 

Obviously we're talking First World Problems here, but for me, it is certainly the worst thing about dressing and undressing, so I'd like to eliminate it. Contributing factors: I like my laces cranked down very tight, I like the feel I get from thinner waxed laces (Howie's), and I play a ton. Also I'm getting old. My hands hurt a ton from lacing and its genuinely difficult to get skates off at the end of a session. 

I know this is not going to motivate most people, but it does me. The issue of potential wear to the leg pads is definitely one that deserves attention, but as I've stated above, the look/style is a total non-issue for me. The skates are hidden by the leg pads anyway. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Obviously we're talking First World Problems here, but for me, it is certainly the worst thing about dressing and undressing, so I'd like to eliminate it. Contributing factors: I like my laces cranked down very tight, I like the feel I get from thinner waxed laces (Howie's), and I play a ton. Also I'm getting old. My hands hurt a ton from lacing and its genuinely difficult to get skates off at the end of a session. 

I know this is not going to motivate most people, but it does me. The issue of potential wear to the leg pads is definitely one that deserves attention, but as I've stated above, the look/style is a total non-issue for me. The skates are hidden by the leg pads anyway. 

For sure, I get you. Sounds like we are just motivated by different things and have different aesthetic draws, so it makes sense that we are compelled by different products.

For the record, I keep my lower laces loose and my upper laces tight.  I also skip the 5th eyelet to keep pressure off of the top of my right foot because I have a bony protrusion on top of my foot.  I do the same on the left skate just for consistency.  So that's my personal skate lace set-up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Hmm. Ok, well I guess I can not deny that lace tightness potentially varies.  I have certainly gone out to the ice ready to play with both a skate that was too loose or too tight and noticed it and said "well, this sucks."  But, it certainly is not common by any stretch of the imagination and when it has happened it was my fault, not the laces' fault.

I'm late to reading about these skates, but they strike me like Brian's BOA dials:  too other-looking with no practical need.

But for sure, kudos to Bauer for pushing the envelope on development and gear evolution...sincerely.

'

Honestly, I'm pretty picky about getting my laces right, and my biggest concern is having my comfort preference be "between clicks".   It's why, after driving one, I love cars with powered seat reclining.   With a manual adjustment I'm almost always too upright or too laid back.  I worry about having to choose between too loose and too tight with these.   And yes, I'm aware I obsess over absurdly trivial things. 

BOA is amazing on a catch glove and beyond stupid on a blocker.   I love the idea of putting my glove on, not having to tighten it up after the velcro slips a little on the backhand and then having to fiddle with it at a whistle because I pulled it too tight.  On the blocker, I never once used it.  Set it the day I bought my Optik blocker and never fiddled with it again.  Just like every wrist strap.

Agree with this.  They push the envelope better than anyone else, for better or worse. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Obviously we're talking First World Problems here, but for me, it is certainly the worst thing about dressing and undressing, so I'd like to eliminate it. Contributing factors: I like my laces cranked down very tight, I like the feel I get from thinner waxed laces (Howie's), and I play a ton. Also I'm getting old. My hands hurt a ton from lacing and its genuinely difficult to get skates off at the end of a session. 

I know this is not going to motivate most people, but it does me. The issue of potential wear to the leg pads is definitely one that deserves attention, but as I've stated above, the look/style is a total non-issue for me. The skates are hidden by the leg pads anyway. 

The wear issue could be mitigated with a wear strip laced into the boot/leg channel. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I'm not certain that bauer created this issue, I think we may have made it by trying to provide an excuse as to why bauer would use something other than laces. My guess is that having a hinge with laces caused excessive lace bite and if you're going to design a skate inspire by a ski boot why not go all the way.

"Bauer created this issue"?

Who has not stepped on the ice and felt like "damn, my skates are too loose today" or "fuck, tied them too tight again"

Call me an idiot, but I would say like every 5-6 skates one of my skates feels off for a bit when I first get out there

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

"Bauer created this issue"?

Who has not stepped on the ice and felt like "damn, my skates are too loose today" or "fuck, tied them too tight again"

Call me an idiot, but I would say like every 5-6 skates one of my skates feels off for a bit when I first get out there

From someone who spends a large amount of my dressing time walking around in my skates and practicing my stance to ensure I get on the ice with my Cinderella-esque tying scheme, I'd love to have something as simple as these to ensure that my fit is far more consistent with far less effort. 

Though Bauer toecaps have never fit me, so I'm destined to be servant step daughter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

These should cost me less over time than the person I hire to tie my skates for me every game. Thanks mom! 

Kidding aside, I want to see how durable the latches are before buying. When I first started roller, I used a pair of inline skates that had the ratchet tightening system (think snow board bindings) and they broke pretty easily when hit by a roller puck (then it became duct tape every game until I got new skates). If these are durable, then I'm for giving them a go. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

The wear issue could be mitigated with a wear strip laced into the boot/leg channel. 

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Or perhaps, depending on model, and adhesive product like PadSkins.

14 hours ago, Wake42 said:

These should cost me less over time than the person I hire to tie my skates for me every game. Thanks mom! 

Kidding aside, I want to see how durable the latches are before buying. When I first started roller, I used a pair of inline skates that had the ratchet tightening system (think snow board bindings) and they broke pretty easily when hit by a roller puck (then it became duct tape every game until I got new skates). If these are durable, then I'm for giving them a go. 

This is also a fair point, but based on the pictures the latches look more like the higher-end sort you would see on a ski boot (metal latch over molded "hooks") as opposed to the cheap type on our roller blades growing up (the plastic strip with "teeth" that would ratchet through a plastic buckle). Hoping they are durable.

15 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

They exist... It's just a way more exclusive club than the Solid Colored Pads Crew

https://www.adweek.com/creativity/nike-mag-self-lacing-sneakers-are-finally-here-theyre-only-making-89-pairs-173888/

 

nike-mag-hed-2016.jpg

Think I can mount Vertexx Edge holders on those?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • TheGoalNet changed the title to 2022 Bauer Mystery Skate - Konekt Goalie Skate
2 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Or perhaps, depending on model, and adhesive product like PadSkins.

This is also a fair point, but based on the pictures the latches look more like the higher-end sort you would see on a ski boot (metal latch over molded "hooks") as opposed to the cheap type on our roller blades growing up (the plastic strip with "teeth" that would ratchet through a plastic buckle). Hoping they are durable.

Think I can mount Vertexx Edge holders on those?

I know a way easier move... Just get a Nike Mag wrap

https://www.instagram.com/skatewrapz/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...