2022 Bauer Mystery Skate - Konekt Goalie Skate

TheGoalNet

I'm pleased to see my instincts were right, and that skates are moving towards a hinged ankle system to maintain lateral stability while increasing forward flex. Very interested in seeing where this goes, though I adamantly refuse to wear skates with Bauer runners until they fix their godawful blade retention system.

52 minutes ago, CJ Boiss said:

I'm pleased to see my instincts were right, and that skates are moving towards a hinged ankle system to maintain lateral stability while increasing forward flex. Very interested in seeing where this goes, though I adamantly refuse to wear skates with Bauer runners until they fix their godawful blade retention system.

How does their blade retention system suck?

Anyway, a skate tying system that does not use laces is a very cool and interesting idea. 

46 minutes ago, ilyazhito said:

How does their blade retention system suck?

Anyway, a skate tying system that does not use laces is a very cool and interesting idea. 

If a puck hits the blade squarely, the blade pops out of the runner. Every time an NHL goalie has lost a blade mid-play? Bauer runners. I had it happen to me multiple times when I was using Bauer skates, and it wasn't even high-level rec. The shot speed was average, at best, and the blades still popped out.

If I can't trust my blades to stay attached to my skates during a play, then I won't wear them.

Edited by CJ Boiss
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

If a puck hits the blade squarely, the blade pops out of the runner. Every time an NHL goalie has lost a blade mid-play? Bauer runners. I had it happen to me multiple times when I was using Bauer skates, and it wasn't even high-level rec. The shot speed was average, at best, and the blades still popped out.

If I can't trust my blades to stay attached to my skates during a play, then I won't wear them.

That's very interesting. I haven't had that happen yet on my Bauer Elite skates, but I'll keep that in mind if I need to replace them. 

17 minutes ago, ilyazhito said:

That's very interesting. I haven't had that happen yet on my Bauer Elite skates, but I'll keep that in mind if I need to replace them. 

5 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

You guys are aware of the force an NHLer shot has compared to us mortals?

Jokes aside, back when I was selling the product, I was iffy about the holder back in 2016. I sold enough over the years (stopped working retail in 2020) to know it’s really good enough, never heard consumers consistently having a hard time with it. I am using it myself and never had a pop-out.

Edited by maxtm30

55 minutes ago, maxtm30 said:

You guys are aware of the force an NHLer shot has compared to us mortals?

I am, yeah, but Beer League Joe still took my blades off several times. It's not just about the speed of the shot, but how much force transfers into the blade, and into the retention mechanism.

Simple fact is that the retention mechanism is designed badly. The blade popping out when a puck hits it shouldn't even be a possibility, no matter how hard the shot is.

19 minutes ago, CJ Boiss said:

I am, yeah, but Beer League Joe still took my blades off several times. It's not just about the speed of the shot, but how much force transfers into the blade, and into the retention mechanism.

Simple fact is that the retention mechanism is designed badly. The blade popping out when a puck hits it shouldn't even be a possibility, no matter how hard the shot is.

Witnessed Beer Leaguer Joe pop a shot that popped a Bauer blade from the holder, and both the shooter and shootee were equally shocked. Just say no to the Bauer holder.

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

If I could order these with no holder, I would. The CCM retention system on the holder is the best out there.

depends on how you define "best"

Yes, the CCM holder is less likely to have a blade pop out, but the pitch is too flat. I would say Vertexx is best I feel it sets you up best in your stance.

33 minutes ago, CJ Boiss said:

I have had vertexx edge since day 1 and never had a pop out. I understand it happens, but I think that is honestly a 3% situation? I have well over 200 skates on Vertexx holders and never had a pop out

Think about all the NHL guys that use it. I feel like the goalie steel pop out happens 20 times a season total in the league? There are over 1,200 games played in the NHL every year. Probably 600 or more of those games feature a Vertexx edge. As you can see, worse case scenario... It works correctly 92% of the time

600 Games Played Featuring Vertexx Edge
2 Holders per game
1200 Holders used a game situation a season
50 Blade pop outs
4.17% Failure rate 

2 Holders per game
20 Blade pop outs
1.67% Failure rate 

2 Holders per game
100 Blade pop outs
8.33% Failure rate 

You mention above the puck hitting the blade squarely... can you explain that differently? Is that a common situation?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tubby34 said:

I really really want to try to convert a pair of these to roller, or convert a pair roller skates to the same lace system.

I don't care about the hinged ankle so much as the consistent fit every time out.

I mean, these are for all intents and purposes a roller skate boot with a ice blade holder on it.

It's not surprising to see goalie skates transition into this type of style and I fully expect it to be the standard going forward.

Oh and my Tacks holder > all new fancy fangled quick release systems. We're scrubs, quick release is such a non-needed "feature"

Untitled.png.d0b5e7571fbe626604d48969b77ca69f.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

This and what kind of steel those goalies use? I find that some other steels than Bauer don't fit correctly.

If pop out happens "several times" or "often" the problem is somewhere else than in bad design. I quess the trigger is broken or something else.

19 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

Plus, if you really want a more forward pitch, that can be accomplished with a profile.  

I have used both. I currently own both. I have had zero issues with blade pop outs on my Bauer and have no issues with the system. Per my math above, I think it's a niche scenario that gets over blown.

I am more comfortable in Bauer and believe it's the angle. Maybe profiling could accomplish what I need, maybe not? I have never had an issue with my Bauer that made my want to switch to CCM and try to mimic my Bauer performance.

That is sort of my point...

It's my stance the Bauer holder is the best holder. I feel better on ice in it and have 0 issues that would make me think the pop outs are an epidemic.

If you think you CCM is better because your #1 concern is no steel pop out potential or you like the flatter position, then that's a fine stance.

36 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I have used both. I currently own both. I have had zero issues with blade pop outs on my Bauer and have no issues with the system. Per my math above, I think it's a niche scenario that gets over blown.

I am more comfortable in Bauer and believe it's the angle. Maybe profiling could accomplish what I need, maybe not? I have never had an issue with my Bauer that made my want to switch to CCM and try to mimic my Bauer performance.

That is sort of my point...

It's my stance the Bauer holder is the best holder. I feel better on ice in it and have 0 issues that would make me think the pop outs are an epidemic.

If you think you CCM is better because your #1 concern is no steel pop out potential or you like the flatter position, then that's a fine stance.

I have seen it once in person (a pop out), but it is likely a rare occurrence. If Bauer’s soft steel has been rectified, then I would be happier to try the new Skate bone stock, no changes. 

I've seen a couple XS holders fail. Some of the lower-end player skates use different parts for the retention pin and rotating knob. The cheaper ones can seize up/get stripped/misaligned sometimes, especially if someone rotates the knob too much when taking a blade out.

Not sure if the lower-end goalie skates are using different parts for the holder. They're a little harder to sell so I don't handle them as much...

Part of the reason why I like the XSG holder - besides the flatter stance - is the availability of aftermarket steel. I can find Step Steel for the XSG readily at my LHS since CCM owns Step. I could go on the net and find some Tydan XSG steel fairly easily, if I wanted to give that a try.

If I had a Bauer holder, I don't really have a choice on aftermarket steel. New Step Steel is nearly impossible to find now for a Bauer holder. Not sure about Tydan, but I imagine it is too since Bauer has been enforced its patent.

Anyway. Skates look interesting. Bauer's been pushing the envelope with goalie gear for a while now so I'll likely pick up a pair if they fit.

• Like 2