2022 Bauer Mystery Skate - Konekt Goalie Skate

TheGoalNet

39 minutes ago, netminder said:

If facts are too hard to handle, i'd suggest you click the ignore. Hating and calling a spade a spade is clearly 2 different views. The new Bauer Konekt is NOT modelled after a ski boot at all. Ski boots go way up the ankle and shin with much more attachment tighteners. This is an Inline boot through and through with a harder toe cap for puck protection. There will be ZERO differences in the inline skate I linked above and this Bauer goalie skate except the holder. This skate boot techonology that has been around for decades. So when i say its not revolutionary, its not hate, its a fact. 

I’ve seen Bauer’s employee product orientation videos (bauer university). They specifically say the skate is modeled after a ski boot. If you’d like to argue with bauer themselves about what has been said be my guest. I’ve worn this skate and while a hinged boot isn’t new to skates it’s much further refined than ever and can hugely affect mobility in butterfly and on your feet. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I’ve seen Bauer’s employee product orientation videos (bauer university). They specifically say the skate is modeled after a ski boot. If you’d like to argue with bauer themselves about what has been said be my guest. I’ve worn this skate and while a hinged boot isn’t new to skates it’s much further refined than ever and can hugely affect mobility in butterfly and on your feet. 

Hinges aren't revolutionary, they were invented in ~1600 B.C. 

When is Bauer going to stop with the over exaggeration of the word revolutionary? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

10 hours ago, netminder said:

You havent worn the inline skate above before then. And Bauer can say its a Tesla inspired boot too, doesnt make it accurate. Its called marketing. 

The Bauer university video literally shows you each piece that comes from a ski boot through diagrams and video editing from a ski boot into the skate. Same materials, same purposes. Think whatever you want @netminder, but I'm gonna side with the creators on this one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“when you don't create things, you become defined by your tastes rather than ability. your tastes only narrow & exclude people. so create.”
 Why The Lucky Stiff

Anything and everything comes from somewhere, and it's not where you take it from but where you take it to.

Like the professor strap is literally a just a strap my dude. Application is what makes it so popular.

Edited by johncho
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Official price: $950

I went back to 2X Pro skates recently and not lacing through the top eyelet... it has worked well... anxious to get these on my feet and see what kind of flex range I get. Remind me of the release date and tell me when you'll be working and I'll find a reason to make it up your way to get fitted.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 10:58 AM, netminder said:

You havent worn the inline skate above before then. And Bauer can say its a Tesla inspired boot too, doesnt make it accurate. Its called marketing. 

Bauer literally worked with Atomic to learn about the latest materials they currently use in their ski boots and understand what would and would not translate to hockey.

Also, the Lange / Micron skates of the 80s and the rollerblades of the early 90s were borrowed technology from ski boots to begin with. None of this technology started in hockey or rollerblading.

Bauer wanted to created a goalie skate that enabled ankle flex. The purpose was to increase performance with catching edges and reducing injuries, ankle sprains or groin issues.

An employee at Bauer is a goalie. He still wore his like 30 year old Micron skates instead of new skates because of the flex. Bauer took his feedback as inspiration and then went out the world to see where they could get comfortable and durable boot and bootie materials. They connected with Atomic. They settled on Grilamid for the shell and Ultralon for the liner. Neither of those materials are used in Rollerblades and they are used in ski boots.

Goalie Ice Skates History

History on plastic ski boot inventor Olivieri and his idea to take plastic boots to hockey...

Sweeping Change Marks 1980s

The 1980s ushered in an era of sweeping change at the company. Although not yet affiliated with the firm, Icaro Olivieri was in many respects the orchestrator of its transformation. Born in 1940, this native of northern Italy apprenticed in his fathers tool shop during the 1950s. Olivieris work with hinges and springs inspired his 1964 design of an improved ski boot fastener. His buckle was quickly adopted in place of traditional laces. Without the benefit of formal training, Olivieri then invented injection molding equipment custom-made for the production of plastic ski boots. Within just a few years, the inventors company had captured a commanding lead in the market for boot molds and metal buckles.

After touring Warringtons rather old-fashioned skate factory in 1975, Olivieri saw an opportunity to adapt his new technology to the hockey skate industry. The Italian founded a plant in Montreal and began churning out his Micron brand skates and Tyrol ski boots, the sleek, black plastic styling of which offered a significant challenge to Bauers long-standing dominance of the market. Several years of intensifying competition culminated in the 1981 merger of the two competitors under the Canadian companys name with Olivieri as chairman. The union created Canadas largest sporting goods firm and signaled Warringtons strategic refocus on that sector.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/books/politics-and-business-magazines/canstar-sports-inc

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Official price: $950

$1,225 CAD. A whopping $300 more expensive than an Ultrasonic skate. 

I get that this is a new build and there's some R&D to recoup, and that the main consumer market is either guys at the top level and/or guys wanting the best of the best, but wow that's steep.

2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I get that this is a new build and there's some R&D to recoup, and that the main consumer market is either guys at the top level and/or guys wanting the best of the best, but wow that's steep.

You are forgetting how much you will save never buying laces again!

image.png.120991527c32e041e944202fb97222f2.png

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I would also suggest updating the steel… 

6 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

You are forgetting how much you will save never buying laces again!

image.png.120991527c32e041e944202fb97222f2.png

I'd have to replace my laces 50 times to break even. I don't even think I've replaced my laces more than 15 times in the past decade.

Though how cool would it be to show up to a public skate rocking $1300 rental look-a-likes. :P 

2 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I would also suggest updating the steel… 

What steel comes with it stock? 

Edited by coopaloop1234

44 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I'd have to replace my laces 50 times to break even. I don't even think I've replaced my laces more than 15 times in the past decade.

Though how cool would it be to show up to a public skate rocking $1300 rental look-a-likes. :P 

What steel comes with it stock? 

Don't forget your own time, sir. All that time saved tying skates really adds up. Not to mention less wear and tear on my delicate hands. 

Jokes aside, the price is very high, but this is an insta-buy for me. I am also factoring in what I hope will be increased longevity because I assume we will be able to buy replacement liner if it breaks down. I don't wear socks and I am lucky to get 6-8 months out of a pair of skates before the liners turn to dust. 

4 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Don't forget your own time, sir. All that time saved tying skates really adds up. Not to mention less wear and tear on my delicate hands. 

Jokes aside, the price is very high, but this is an insta-buy for me. I am also factoring in what I hope will be increased longevity because I assume we will be able to buy replacement liner if it breaks down. I don't wear socks and I am lucky to get 6-8 months out of a pair of skates before the liners turn to dust. 

By your liner wearing out, are you referring to the insole? Or the actual inside of your skates are wearing out in under a year? 

Which leads me to my next question, how often do you need to get new skates? 

Just now, coopaloop1234 said:

By your liner wearing out, are you referring to the insole? Or the actual inside of your skates are wearing out in under a year? 

Which leads me to my next question, how often do you need to get new skates? 

Both. Insoles obviously I know I can - and do - change.

It is, admittedly, quite gross. Even with drying after every session with a boot dryer, I am buying skates once a year. I've been stretching my custom FT2s too long waiting for the Konekt release.

IDK I could be wrong, but if the shell and holder are durable enough, one might be able to get away with a liner change to extend the life of the skates well beyond what one would expect from a normal skate design.

8 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Both. Insoles obviously I know I can - and do - change.

It is, admittedly, quite gross. Even with drying after every session with a boot dryer, I am buying skates once a year. I've been stretching my custom FT2s too long waiting for the Konekt release.

IDK I could be wrong, but if the shell and holder are durable enough, one might be able to get away with a liner change to extend the life of the skates well beyond what one would expect from a normal skate design.

1. I can definitely see how a removable/replaceable liner would be beneficial to you. 

2. lol wtf. I've had some liners that have seen wear and tear after 4+ years. But nothing close to needing replacement. Do you just sweat pure acid? 

• Haha 1

There's a goalie on reddit that's been tinkering with ski boot style buckles for skates and I have been testing them- pretty much mimicking the buckle system on the Konekts, just without the hinge system.

4u9ireiwlv791.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

I was looking forward to the Konekts, but at $1k, they're in custom skate territory.

5 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

1. I can definitely see how a removable/replaceable liner would be beneficial to you. 

2. lol wtf. I've had some liners that have seen wear and tear after 4+ years. But nothing close to needing replacement. Do you just sweat pure acid? 

I'll put it this way. I've been married for 13 years and never once been allowed to bring skates, or any other hockey equipment for that matter, into the house.

3 minutes ago, jerd31 said:

There's a goalie on reddit that's been tinkering with ski boot style buckles for skates and I have been testing them- pretty much mimicking the buckle system on the Konekts, just without the hinge system.

I was looking forward to the Konekts, but at $1k, they're in custom skate territory.

That's pretty cool, minus the hinge feature of course. Wonder how heavy those buckles are.

4 hours ago, jerd31 said:

Bauer has gone away from custom with Konekt, even the pros are using stock socks. With the fact the liner and the shell are heat moldable and how much they can move, Bauer does not believe custom is required anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Queue the Aliens jokes and memes

MARINES…WE ARE LEAVING

• Haha 1