New Skate recommendations

Hey guys,

My current skates CCM U+ Pros are starting to show their age and the upper ankle area is getting soft and the tendon protector is starting to separate at the top of the boot. I have had these skates for roughly 10/12 years and are pretty much the one skate I have ever used. Since its that time of the year and sales are going on I am looking to pick up a pair of last seasons series skates. I have liked my CCMs and CCM actually did me a solid with skate replacement so I am leaning towards sticking with CCM and picking up some FT2s.

I have also started to look into Bauer but haven't had the chance to try them on at my LHS. The 2X/2S are in the same price range as the FT2s and seem to be in the same release cycle as the CCMs. I looked quickly into True but after reading reviews and issues with them I'm going to not go that route.

I know skates fit and preference is mostly personal but are there any other models/brands that I should look into? I mainly want to go with higher tier skates due to the more rigid boot and longevity. I'm guessing that skate technology has come a long way in ten years so there might be a lot of changes I need to get use to.

Thanks

Mike 

Keep in mind that Bauers will fit differently and the FT2's are a similar fit to Bauers. They both fit a bit narrower and the Bauer's toe cap space is much smaller than what you're currently using.

I haven't been able to use any Bauer skates due to the toe cap being absolutely puny.

Check out the CCM tacks. While they'll be a lot stiffer than what you're used to, the overall fit and boot shape will be a lot closer to what you're currently in.

• Like 1

If I recall correctly, Tacks and 2X should be closer in fit to each other. 2S and FT2 are the narrower, lower volume fits.

This changes with 3S - the fit is supposed to be more generous than 2X - but I have had some contradictory feedback from some customers.

FT2s are newer than the AS1 Tacks, but they haven't been moved to clearance yet, as far as I know. Some retailers (Monkey and Pure, maybe others) are doing 25% off clearance items right now, which would include the AS1 Tacks. But one potential issue is that the AS1 has the older Attack holder and not the newer XSG holder, so you may be limited on future steel options.

Both CCM skates should be covered under CCM's 90 day guarantee, so you would be able to bake/sharpen/play in them and return them for a full refund if you don't like them.

I wouldn't write True off so quickly. The stock offering looks to be a really solid skate. I believe True is doing a 30 day guarantee on their stock skates, similar terms to CCM. Confirm with your local store.

2 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

If I recall correctly, Tacks and 2X should be closer in fit to each other. 2S and FT2 are the narrower, lower volume fits.

This changes with 3S - the fit is supposed to be more generous than 2X - but I have had some contradictory feedback from some customers.

FT2s are newer than the AS1 Tacks, but they haven't been moved to clearance yet, as far as I know. Some retailers (Monkey and Pure, maybe others) are doing 25% off clearance items right now, which would include the AS1 Tacks. But one potential issue is that the AS1 has the older Attack holder and not the newer XSG holder, so you may be limited on future steel options.

Both CCM skates should be covered under CCM's 90 day guarantee, so you would be able to bake/sharpen/play in them and return them for a full refund if you don't like them.

I wouldn't write True off so quickly. The stock offering looks to be a really solid skate. I believe True is doing a 30 day guarantee on their stock skates, similar terms to CCM. Confirm with your local store.

Thanks for the feedback!

I have smaller/ narrower feet so the FT2s might fit me better. Guess I need to go try some skates on and see what ones fit the best. I wrote True off mainly because reading about them falling part of people fairly quickly and also I don't like the way TRUE is handling custom orders for us common folk, but that is a personal reason and a different subject.

5 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Keep in mind that Bauers will fit differently and the FT2's are a similar fit to Bauers. They both fit a bit narrower and the Bauer's toe cap space is much smaller than what you're currently using.

I haven't been able to use any Bauer skates due to the toe cap being absolutely puny.

Check out the CCM tacks. While they'll be a lot stiffer than what you're used to, the overall fit and boot shape will be a lot closer to what you're currently in.

i agree totally with the Bauer toe cap space, it sucks. My skates have been Bauer, KOHO, back to Bauer and now currently for just about a year CCM Tacks 6092's 7.5 D and couldn't be happier. Stiff but not too stiff and roomy in the toe cap.

Perfect for the lower level i play in.

Edited by Scythe