What is a Good Entry-Level Senior Butterfly Pad?

ilyazhito

I'm a current ball hockey goalie looking to make the transition to ice. I tend to play a butterfly-oriented style (I look to go down and block shots whenever possible) in ball hockey, so I am looking for something that would allow me to play a similar style in ice hockey, once I get the hang of skating and goalie-specific movements. What pad is good for butterfly, yet doesn't break the bank?

I've been looking at Goalie Monkey, and found Bauer GSX pads for $499.99. Are there other pads in that price range, and/or good pads from prior years (i.e. Reebok/CCM Premier, Vaughn Ventus, Bauer Supreme) that will support a similar play style? 

Pretty much every pad built in the last decade is built for a goalie that is performing the butterfly as his or her primary save selection.

They will fit differently and feel differently depending on how you like the pad to perform. Stiffer/softer and tighter/looser on your leg. Bigger vs smaller rebounds. Heavier or lighter pad. Lots of different types of pads and specs out there.

The GSX is very OK for a newbie to ice. Yes, you'll likely get more bang for your buck by getting a pad from yesteryear. Many stores are still doing a Cyber Monday promotion so check out the clearance sections.

It's hard to evaluate what pad is best for you without knowing more of your playstyle and whether you have any proficiency on ice.

38 minutes ago, Windmill save said:

Try the bauer gsx, or the ccm eflex 5.5

Interesting. I thought E-Flex was more of a Hybrid-style pad, because the goalies who wear E-Flex pads tend to play a more hybrid style. When I was learning ball hockey, my coach compared me to an Anders Lindback (big goalie who plays a blocking style). I would compare myself to Marc-Andre Fleury (a goalie who is not that big, but who wins the day by good positioning, challenging the shooters, and playing an effective butterfly style. 

Proficiency on ice is yet to be seen, but I'll check out pads that are older yet still modern. Maybe there are some older butterfly-oriented (flat face, few breaks) pads out there that I can claim at a discount. I'll also look into the GSX, and see what fits when I go to the pro shop later this week. 

5 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

Interesting. I thought E-Flex was more of a Hybrid-style pad, because the goalies who wear E-Flex pads tend to play a more hybrid style. When I was learning ball hockey, my coach compared me to an Anders Lindback (big goalie who plays a blocking style). I would compare myself to Marc-Andre Fleury (a goalie who is not that big, but who wins the day by good positioning, challenging the shooters, and playing an effective butterfly style. 

Proficiency on ice is yet to be seen, but I'll check out pads that are older yet still modern. Maybe there are some older butterfly-oriented (flat face, few breaks) pads out there that I can claim at a discount. I'll also look into the GSX, and see what fits when I go to the pro shop later this week. 

Yes the eflex is a hybrid style pad, but  it is still suitable for goalies like my self, who is forced to stay up bc i butterfly too much. Talking in the long run, I would suggest that you use a few older pads to try and get a feeling for sizing, straping style, weight and what brand you want to use. Then work your way up, to get a better feeling for what gear you like. I am 13, playing goalie for 3 years, still using 2nd hand gear to test out what brand is good and what is not. I myself is a stiff Max rebound flat face pad, but know scince I am playing u15, u18, junior semi pro, in australia, I am looking at knee roles, brakes, soft rebounds, bc i need it to stay closes to me to make a quick save. I am using reebok rn, flat faced, and i have been scored on several times because the rebounds were too hot and went directly to the opposition. So I am looking for softer pads with enough rebound that it wouldn't do nothing and stay in one spot when it hit my pads. So the eflex or gsx is a cheap but good pad/s to use. Also hybrid style goalies is a dying breed in a butterfly dominated game. So companies are trying to make pads for butterfly style goalies but also incorporate things from the 'eflex line to axis line'. Ccm has a pro custom option were you can have knee roles, like the eflex, but have the rebounds of the ccm axis or priemer line, which is done for. Companies like true, have flat faced knee roles l, having the look and feel of the knee role, but also giving you a flat stiff surface.

Edited by Windmill save

whatever you get most likely will be replaced by something else you want to try. It kind of sucks buying used but it might be beneficial in the long run .. get comfortable skates and a good mask too. So many things to get right with this position. I guess that's why we love it .

51 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

The stand up, hybrid, and butterfly style thing is kinda over. Every goalie butterflys, every goalie moves up and down. Read the descriptions of all and any pads you consider and whichever one speaks you the most and sounds the most enjoyable for you to use should be what you choose.

True to that. Right now question is rather you like more stiff or more flex pads. But to be honest in lower price range like e.g. GSX all pads will be in more flexible territory - still GSX seems to be great pads.

I'm looking for a harder pad that puts the rebounds out. It really is annoying when the ball or puck dies, but goes just far enough out of your reach that if your D doesn't get it, it's a goal. I would either catch or trap, or failing that have the rebound fly out to the corners. If it takes time for the other team to reach the puck, it gives me that much time to get into position for the next save. That's why I mentioned the Premier, Ventus, and Supreme lines. 

2 hours ago, Nohtaram said:

still GSX seems to be great pads.

They were better described by @ZeroGravitas as "very ok".   They're pads you buy if you want to buy pads again a year later, especially if you're being compared to Anders Lindback.   I'd look at lightly used Sr level pads or even new Sr stuff.  Brian's and Warrior are solid in this area and Bauer's 2nd price point is really good as well.  When you get down to an entry level price point you're making so many compromises in terms of soft foams, low quality straps and cheaper external materials that it's something you want to avoid if at all possible.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

They were better described by @ZeroGravitas as "very ok".   They're pads you buy if you want to buy pads again a year later, especially if you're being compared to Anders Lindback.   I'd look at lightly used Sr level pads or even new Sr stuff.  Brian's and Warrior are solid in this area and Bauer's 2nd price point is really good as well.  When you get down to an entry level price point you're making so many compromises in terms of soft foams, low quality straps and cheaper external materials that it's something you want to avoid if at all possible.  

What is 2nd price point? I'm not too familiar with that. I'll also check out Sideline Swap to see if they have good deals on older top-level pads or mid-level pads from the last 3 years once I find out my size. Right now, I have a 17" ATK measurement and a 20" FTK measurement, so that puts me in either a 33 inch or 34 inch pad, depending on the manufacturer. For Brian's is Optik or Net Zero the flat-faced pad? I'll also see if there are deals on Warrior pads on Sideline Swap. 

6 minutes ago, ilyazhito said:

What is 2nd price point? I'm not too familiar with that. I'll also check out Sideline Swap to see if they have good deals on older top-level pads or mid-level pads from the last 3 years once I find out my size. Right now, I have a 17" ATK measurement and a 20" FTK measurement, so that puts me in either a 33 inch or 34 inch pad, depending on the manufacturer. For Brian's is Optik or Net Zero the flat-faced pad? I'll also see if there are deals on Warrior pads on Sideline Swap. 

Most companies have three price points. Not all of them do - Vaughn and Warrior do not.

Top-end pro-level pads are the first price point. These go for approximately $1,600 to 1,999 brand new.
Mid-level pads are the second price point. These pads are approximately $799-899 brand new.
Bottom-level price point is the third price point. This stuff is OK for newbies who are just getting into the sport. These are approximately $499-599 brand new. The Bauer GSX falls into this category. I would tell most adults to not bother with this if you know that you are serious about playing ice.

As time goes on, the top two price points generally are marked down and you can see substantial discounts. You generally don't see deep discounts on the bottom-tier price points.

You'll get more bang-for-your-buck by getting a slightly older pad from the top two price points. For example, a pro-level pad for $900-ish. Or a mid-level pad at around $500.

The NetZero is a bottom tier price point pad. Both it and the Optik are flat-faced pads. The G-Netik line from Brian's is the softer, hybrid-ish pad.

You can check out the Bauer S29 from Goalie Monkey for $472 after their discount code. Originally retails for $899. This is a mid-level pad.
Or an Optik 9.0 for $641 after discount code. Originally retails for $949. Also a mid-level pad.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

That makes a lot more sense. So Reebok Premiers for $300 are a steal, because those are pro-level pads available for below clearance prices, if I understand correctly. 

Well... maybe. It depends a little on which Reebok model you're talking about (3, 4 or XLT) or the even older "RBK" branded Premiers (1 and 2). Yes, it's a big discount from the original retail price, but Reebok has not made a goal pad since 2015 or so, so you're looking at gear that's at least 6 years old at this point.

Pads have changed a fair amount over the last 5-6 years. CCM/Reebok pads were fairly heavy up until the CCM Premier 2/Extreme Flex 4 line ups. These pads became substantially lighter than previous incarnations

To everyone talking shade on the GSX, I've owned a pair since July and i'm on the ice about 2-3x a week. 
In comparison to a 2X Pro pad, they slide nearly as well, and my 2 main gripes with them so far are the following:

1. The yellowing nylon (not an issue if you buy the coloured versions with not white nylon)

2. Only seeming wear I see is with the toe bridge. 

Otherwise they're holding up decently well so far and I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend the leg pads. Glove and blocker I have no idea, still rocking my Ritual G3's which you'll have to pry off my cold dead hands. 

They're quite a flexible pad overall, compared to other Bauer lines, but do seal up quite well in the butterfly. 

Edited by Kayen

3 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Well... maybe. It depends a little on which Reebok model you're talking about (3, 4 or XLT) or the even older "RBK" branded Premiers (1 and 2). Yes, it's a big discount from the original retail price, but Reebok has not made a goal pad since 2015 or so, so you're looking at gear that's at least 6 years old at this point.

Pads have changed a fair amount over the last 5-6 years. CCM/Reebok pads were fairly heavy up until the CCM Premier 2/Extreme Flex 4 line ups. These pads became substantially lighter than previous incarnations

AdamL had a pair of XLTs he was selling. I'll also look into more recent CCMs, Brian's, or other butterfly style pads for comparison. 

2 minutes ago, ilyazhito said:

AdamL had a pair of XLTs he was selling. I'll also look into more recent CCMs, Brian's, or other butterfly style pads for comparison. 

That's a really good price. If I am reading his post correctly, he is asking for $375 for the full set, which includes leg pads, catcher and blocker. The catcher is pro-level while everything else is the second price-point. He's asking only $100 for the leg pads.

I am making the transition from roller to ice. A bit of background:

I started playing goal on the street in Detroit in the late 90's. Using the Franklin, Itech, and Mission gear without skates. Bought Mission skates and loved roller goalie. Joined an outdoor league, and eventually an indoor league. In 2010, I tore my adductors playing roller goalie and took a 11 year break. When I left, I was a hybrid goalie. When I came back this September, I made the transition to full butterfly goalie.

I bought a used set of Warrior RG3 classic pro (pads 34" + 1.5", catch, blocker) for $350 (US) and played a few games with them. They never felt comfortable to me, so I picked up a used set of Vaughn SLR Pro (pads (34" + 2", blocker) for $300 (I bought a new SLR2 Pro catch glove). The Vaughn's just felt better. Rotation seemed smoother and more predictable. Once I decided I liked the Vaughn SLR Pro pads (34" + 2"), I bought a brand new set of SLR2 leg pads and blocker.

I ended up with a full set of SLR Pro pads, SLR 2 Pro pads, and Warrior pads before I found what I liked. I may still try Brians and CCM, but I think that after spending way over my budget for my reentry to hockey, I am taking a little break from buying stuff.

A word of advice, if possible, try not to "cheap" out on protective items. I bought a Warrior RX3E chesty thinking that a $300 chest protector should be fine and I was wrong. Even in roller hockey (the puck is lighter), I was getting bruised ribs using that chest protector. I used the Warrior RX3E+ knee pads and they were terrible. My knees were always completely bruised from driving into the butterfly. My Warrior pants sucked (too bulky, and the buttons for suspenders fell off after about 4 games, leaving those sharp pins sticking out the back). I bit the bullet and bought CCM Eflex 5.9 chesty, CCM Pro Pants, CCM KP Pro knee pads, and a CCM GP Pro jock, and CCM did an amazing job on these. The pants are amazing, the chesty is perfect, and the knee pads cradle my 46-year old knees very well. No more bruising, and a LOT more confidence in the crease because I am not subconsciously thinking about every decent shot bruising my ribs (or even breaking one).

For me, Warrior quality has fallen off so much that I won't even consider Warrior as an option for anything other than my twigs.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

That's a really good price. If I am reading his post correctly, he is asking for $375 for the full set, which includes leg pads, catcher and blocker. The catcher is pro-level while everything else is the second price-point. He's asking only $100 for the leg pads.

Just to clarify, the blocker and catcher are both the pro-level XLT models, the pads are the second price point X28s.  👍