NHL - US TV Ratings - OOOOF

MTH

I know this is the first one that I havn't watched, so that's one viewer less. Silly me thought that my center ice package would carry it. Well, it was "on" there. But it was blacked out when I clicked on it. I'm so tired of these black out rules. I can't watch a Redwings game because they are playing the Preds because I live within a hour and a half of the Preds? Facking BS is what it is.

Note: I'm using a Roku and streaming services, not regular cable. Don't have the locals accessed.

The TV rules are archaic as hell. The Flyers are the OG of the BS Center Ice blackouts with their old school use of the Prism microwave system.

Yet we can now bet on these games while at the arena or anytime on your phones. Priorities are obvious.

6 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I never would have known had it not been mentioned in their gear revealing video.

Honestly a pretty boring choice. What's the point of doing specific gear if it's identical to what you're currently using?

I would have never known! Didn’t watch the gear reveal…

We have 3 local sports channels here for the Hawks, Bulls, and the 2 baseball teams. The Hawks played the 'Lanch last night and it was on none of them. It wasnt on TNT, NHL Network, but was apparently on ESPN + whatever that is. Instead of making it more accessible, it seems like it is going back to the Dollar Bill Wirtz days of no home games on TV. 

• Sad 1

ESPN+ is online or streaming I think. Swing and a miss putting games there. It's 20 more steps to make the viewers take to watch the game.

MLB will have games that are on just YouTube. It's lame. I get that they are trying to be young and hip with the times. But nobody is going to YouTube for live tv.

It forces me to listen to the game on the radio. Dollar Bill Wirtz style and more.

Edited by MTH

Winter Classic ratings are out. Came in 7th on 1/1/22 for 'Original Cable'. Did better than I thought with a 0.46 rating and 1.36 million viewers. Ratings from here.

It did worse than the last Winter Classic. The Predators-Stars NHL Winter Classic averaged a 1.15 rating and 1.96 million viewers on NBC

NHL REGULAR SEASON L: ST LOUIS/MINNESOTA (7:00 PM)
TURNER NETWORK TELEVISION
0.46 1,362,000
Edited by MTH

9 minutes ago, MTH said:

MLB will have games that are on just YouTube. It's lame. I get that they are trying to be young and hip with the times. But nobody is going to YouTube for live tv.

490d02ce685fa3ca8f2589115ba6a1fc.jpg.0d158cd5a043b216ae62303e260846da.jpg

Youtube is about 25% of the marketshare for streamers, which is hip with the youngins (for wahtever reason, watching streams is fucking boring) and the market conditions of the younger populations shifting away from traditional TV keeps on it's steady decline for a while now.

MLB diversifying and using Youtube as a method of viewing games is a precursor to how things are going to shift.

200.gif.bddc6b48f610c7da9c6530bd6a831ae8.gif

• Like 1

I think one thing everyone is missing here is ESPN.

When I heard that ESPN got hockey back, I expected a mega boost to the ratings. From what I can see so far, ESPN is limiting 90% of their coverage to ESPN+. I am not sure how many "casual" fans are picking a random out of market game and watching it on ESPN+? Tonight, only place to Flyers vs Pens is ESPN+.

On the inverse, because so many families in the US have ESPN+ as a part of the Disney Bundle, is TNT losing ratings because people are watching the out of market games instead of tuning into the pre-selected match up on TNT? I feel like the only way to go apples to apples would be to compare the aggregate total viewers per night between last season and this season.

Will be curious if ESPN starts airing games on their standard channels now that football is winding down? Maybe the big boost will come in the playoffs if ESPN puts hockey on the standard channels?

3 hours ago, MTH said:

But nobody is going to YouTube for live tv.

As Coop said, this statement is wrong.

I do play by play of Livestream on Youtube of Swimming Competitions.  Live, we are viewed in 25 countries and by tens of thousands of viewers.  Overall, we are viewed in over 70 countries and over 100,000 viewers.  

19 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Youtube is about 25% of the marketshare for streamers, which is hip with the youngins (for wahtever reason, watching streams is fucking boring) and the market conditions of the younger populations shifting away from traditional TV keeps on it's steady decline for a while now.

MLB diversifying and using Youtube as a method of viewing games is a precursor to how things are going to shift.

It is crazy how the business model come full circle?

Sports used to be free over the antenna, that is still technically option but you won't get games on cable networks, and maybe that's how this evolves?

Put the games up for free online and let google / youtube sell the ads for them? All the revenue comes purely from ads in the future and not a TV contract? Easier access = more fans and the game gets healthier?

• Like 1

I honestly think that local sports will return to over the air broadcasts. With so many people 'cutting the cord', you'd have a must watch thing off line. I'm addicted to watching Buzzr channel already. It's on cable/fiber and over the air. Why can't one of the X-X channels on antenna have live sports?

Edited by MTH

On 1/5/2022 at 5:29 PM, Naz said:

As Coop said, this statement is wrong.

I do play by play of Livestream on Youtube of Swimming Competitions.  Live, we are viewed in 25 countries and by tens of thousands of viewers.  Overall, we are viewed in over 70 countries and over 100,000 viewers.  

I think comparing swimming meets to professional sports isn't the same. For swim meets, YouTube is a huge upgrade for watching it. For pro sports that was on major networks and all, it's a confusing step back (for now). I can see in time that people will know to go to YT for live professional sports, but not yet.

YT is killing it for things that would have never seen broadcast television though. 

Awesome that you do play by play of the meets. What's the channel? My kids swim now. Would be cool to check out.

Edited by MTH
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 9:47 AM, TheGoalNet said:

It is crazy how the business model come full circle?

Sports used to be free over the antenna, that is still technically option but you won't get games on cable networks, and maybe that's how this evolves?

Put the games up for free online and let google / youtube sell the ads for them? All the revenue comes purely from ads in the future and not a TV contract? Easier access = more fans and the game gets healthier?

It has to head this way. The current model is dying off with the cable subscriptions declining in numbers.

Personally I'd like to see pro sports take a huge financial adjustment. They're hanging on now with the ads on anything that you see on tv. NASCAR style hockey? NASCAR is getting beat up too BTW. There's only so much that they can get out of the fans to make up for lost tv and ad revenues.

I could see leagues like the NHL either going bankrupt with their player contracts outpacing their revenue. Not bankrupt and dead but bankrupt and break existing player contracts to reset the league. The decline in fan interest will take a toll on ad revenue as it has for their television deals already. Once they start taking in less money at several sources, the player money will have to really scale back.

NASCAR peaked out about two decades ago. They overbuilt stands and teams budgets grew to insane heights. In the past few years, tracks have decreased seating, teams have cut drivers, teams have even shut down. It's going to get worse before it gets better. They're trying everything to keep their head above water. I think the NHL will endure the same ride sadly.

Edited by MTH
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2022 at 2:19 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Dewey was the man. Funny thing - When Breaking Bad first started, I only watched it because Hal was so good in Malcom.

My kids never watch "tv". They only watch YouTube and whatever. With the short videos that they watch - or videos of some dude with bad accent playing video games - I can't fathom them ever staying on a full NHL game. They're conditioned to watch an edited video that is right to the point and engages them to watch it. If not, there are a dozen other videos a click away under to pick from.

We all do it. What yougin' is sticking through 12 commercials for insurance and cars every 15 minutes? None.

I just heard that they're adding tornados to Fortnite. Yikes.

I had the NHL streaming service for a couple of years. It's a good deal, like $100 or so and you get like all games, too many to watch. But the problem was who wants to sit at their PC or tablet and watch? I could connect it to the TV, but it's a PITA connecting all the cables and stuff. I get Swedish and KHL games on satellite and wind up just watching those. Mainly because it's easier to sit down in front of the TV, and just click the remote. So I cancelled the NHL package. My kid just watches the (free) NHL game highlights at breakfast on a tablet for 10min and that's about it.

Streaming services are good for small or rare sports that you can't find on TV. If it's something like that, you'll go the extra mile and watch it on the PC or tablet. But watching regular sports, nah, not really worth the hassle.

I stream everything.  I have no cable or satellite subscription.  Sports can be tough sometimes depending on what "channel" the game is on that I want to watch.  Watching hockey has always been the toughest for me, especially the Rangers.  MSG network has a streaming app that is meant for mobile, they have never released one for tv/firestick/appletv/etc.  In order to watch the Rangers on the MSG Go app on my tv I have to watch it on my phone and cast it to my TV.  Unfortunately doing that makes it very choppy.  I was always happy when they played on NBCSN because I could watch on the NBCSN app.  I haven't really caught much hockey on the ESPN app, mostly just college football.  I have yet to see a TNT game as I do not have that app.  

Just more proof that the NHL is ran by clowns.

I want to watch - but I have to login (what the f is my password again?) Connect to the tv through bluetooth. Then find the game. Ah crap, it's choppy...

YT on  my phone again. Oh, they're giving away Lamborghinis...

On 1/8/2022 at 7:38 AM, estogoalie said:

I had the NHL streaming service for a couple of years. It's a good deal, like $100 or so and you get like all games, too many to watch. But the problem was who wants to sit at their PC or tablet and watch? I could connect it to the TV, but it's a PITA connecting all the cables and stuff. I get Swedish and KHL games on satellite and wind up just watching those. Mainly because it's easier to sit down in front of the TV, and just click the remote. So I cancelled the NHL package. My kid just watches the (free) NHL game highlights at breakfast on a tablet for 10min and that's about it.

Streaming services are good for small or rare sports that you can't find on TV. If it's something like that, you'll go the extra mile and watch it on the PC or tablet. But watching regular sports, nah, not really worth the hassle.

You could connect that to a TV with an AppleTV, Rolu, or whatever

In the USA now, that service is included with ESPN+. All of ESPN+ is like $8.99/mo? With Disney bundle, you get ESPN+, Disney+, and Hulu for $12.99

That is my point above, the game is more accessible than ever. I have multiple friends who have the Disney bundle for Disney and Hulu and never checked out ESPN+. Now they can watch any out of market game for "free" because they already have the service

However, hockey is now harder to find...

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 1:52 PM, MTH said:

I honestly think that local sports will return to over the air broadcasts. With so many people 'cutting the cord', you'd have a must watch thing off line. I'm addicted to watching Buzzr channel already. It's on cable/fiber and over the air. Why can't one of the X-X channels on antenna have live sports?

To my knowledge Fox, CBS, NBC, etc still broadcast their major content over an Antenna and it's 4k. The challenge is local sports.

What's Buzzr?

• Like 1

Buzzr plays all old game shows. Match Game, Concentration, Supermarket Sweep, Hollywood Squares. 

It's funny watching the mid 80s 'Classic Concentration' with Alex Trebek. They have all the then current cars as prizes. So many POS cars.

Classic Concentration (TV Series 1987–1991) - IMDb

It's under the Fox network and is one of the hyphen channels on the air. For Philly its 29-4 or 287 on Verizon Fios.

They have been showing so many Betty White episodes of Match Game and Password. She was good.