NHL - US TV Ratings - OOOOF

MTH

2 hours ago, MTH said:

MLB enforcing the 'pitch clock' this weekend finally. Games are expected to be 20-30 mins shorter now. We'll see.

Change is good.

Hoping that they don't just add 30 minutes of commercials now.

That's just 30 minutes of less drinking when at the game. I'd say that's a step backwards. 

Unless you guys actually unironically watch baseball? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm thinking that too.

You have stadiums that sell things to people while at the games. Shorter games means less time for them to buy crap.

TV networks paid a lot for MLB. Sports is worth more now than ever because it's really the only thing people watch live and have to sit through the commercials. You just snipped 30 minutes from that time that they are paying for. 

I'm sure they worked out numbers that counter the lost time. Like more people will watch now because it's shorter, so you're getting more eyes and asses than before.

On 3/2/2023 at 7:35 PM, WillyGrips13 said:

It’s like when the NHL made a ton of adjustments after the season lost to the lockout in 2004-2005. There will be a lot of moaning and some growing pains, but it will be a better product. 

Funny watching pre-lockout hockey and the hooking everywhere was the norm. It looks like wrestling vs today's game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MTH said:

Funny watching pre-lockout hockey and the hooking everywhere was the norm. It looks like wrestling vs today's game.

Agreed. It was all clutch and grab. I dont know where the balance point is but now we have great skilled players but the physicality is gone. If I had to chose, I'd go with how it is now. Heresy coming from a goalie but...

20 hours ago, Fullright said:

Agreed. It was all clutch and grab. I dont know where the balance point is but now we have great skilled players but the physicality is gone. If I had to chose, I'd go with how it is now. Heresy coming from a goalie but...

I don't know. I watch a lot of highlights from mid-2000s hockey. There were some absolute wars. Even garbage games during the season are fun to watch.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 7:35 PM, WillyGrips13 said:

It’s like when the NHL made a ton of adjustments after the season lost to the lockout in 2004-2005. There will be a lot of moaning and some growing pains, but it will be a better product. 

There is a difference here though, the nhl just completely changed the game of hockey and within the rules and added more excitement for the dying franchises in the States.