5500 rebuild

wishEMT

I acquired a 5500 on sideline swap for cheap thinking I would include it in a re-skin project. So far just disassembly. I’ve picked up some goat skin to redo the inner glove as it was pretty sticky and crusty. This is my first glove project so I’m probably going to have questions throughout as well.

Pics from the original ad:

2FB18EAE-64EF-49B5-BA20-B21260833A2F.png

5E7B7981-3AF5-4C6A-BF96-17E6CE817E5B.png

627A13B2-BAC7-4CC0-A4F5-8AE386AA8B32.png

• Like 1

All in all, for $20 plus shipping, I have a good template to clone, pulled the palm apart tonight. As suspected there was a gel pack in the palm that burst, anyone know anything about those? Not unexpected since the glove is from 2000, but sucks that is probably what wrecked the rest of the padding. It will be getting some kemmler air2gel in the palm probably at some point and a bindingless cuff. Wrist strap is getting removed as well, didn’t realize how much I liked not having that until my GT glove.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m at a bit of a standstill right now waiting on materials, debating how much curl I should remove from the plastics, I felt like the closure was perfect, but materials were just worn so I’m probably going to let sleeping dogs lie on this one. In also debating replacing the felt with some kemmler air2gel I have sitting around, do you guys see this as overkill?

Would be nice, and easier to comment about if you'd take a picture or two with all the parts laid down next to each other in orderly fashion.

Looking at pictures of now, what is the orange foam material, why is it outside of the plastic. Seems pretty thick too. I've never taken the felt away, it sort of has a function in how the glove works too and not only as padding. If needed then add extra padding to fingers and palm area. Thumb is usually pretty well protected, but it might be needed to add a layer under thumb too, to the pocket side and under.

On 12/26/2021 at 7:20 AM, ArdeFIN said:

Would be nice, and easier to comment about if you'd take a picture or two with all the parts laid down next to each other in orderly fashion.

Looking at pictures of now, what is the orange foam material, why is it outside of the plastic. Seems pretty thick too. I've never taken the felt away, it sort of has a function in how the glove works too and not only as padding. If needed then add extra padding to fingers and palm area. Thumb is usually pretty well protected, but it might be needed to add a layer under thumb too, to the pocket side and under.

There is a slice of that orange foam on each side of the plastic on the edge of the glove, I’m guessing just for energy dispersion and to ease tension on the nylon on the backhand.

I’m going to need to replace the dark blue section of foam, the back of thumb plastics cut a groove into it. Otherwise things look pretty good. This is going to get a fresh jenpro/cordura face and some of the backhand nylon replaced. I’m waiting to put together a fresh inner glove to sew together as the original was worn pretty thin. I’m probably putting more work into this than it’s worth, but it’s a project for me out of interest rather than necessity. I have my R/GT glove and a Factory Mad glove in the mail. I’m pretty tempted to pick up a 3500 on sideline swap since I’m developing a cheap glove addiction.

AE4CF08E-9CD0-4B07-A6F5-A1DC394B4E5A.jpeg

Edited by wishEMT
  • Like 2

Did I mention I have a cheap glove addiction? I picked up a new spec pro return 5500 pro return to use with a set of white pads, but the break was messed up on it so it is coming apart and is going to be soaked and get some help before going together. Vaughn changed the break sometime in the 15 years between these gloves making it wider at the medial (pinky) side. I’m not as much of a fan, so this one is just going to get a clean and some patching before it’s back to sideline swap. Crazy what little changed over 15ish years between these two gloves (2001-2016?).

i noticed Vaughn added a viscous gel pad to the palm and surprise surprise the plastics got thinner, but not necessarily better.

4C75C698-EF1F-4603-82FF-34CA43709120.jpeg

EF9C4CE9-09E8-4576-821A-104C7AF2EDE0.jpeg

4E40AE0E-4811-41CA-ACDF-A8B9995E40EA.jpeg

8BBE302B-3D02-4E4A-9FCE-B81CEF6CF77D.jpeg

• Like 4

Take a picture of the Jenpros over each other and lined up by the wrist edge to show the difference in shapes. There's actually quite a lot of change in between them, to be called with same T5500?

Addicting things these gloves are. That I can confirm 😅

Edited by ArdeFIN

16 hours ago, ArdeFIN said:

Take a picture of the Jenpros over each other and lined up by the wrist edge to show the difference in shapes. There's actually quite a lot of change in between them, to be called with same T5500?

Addicting things these gloves are. That I can confirm 😅

The difference in tolerances can migrate greatly over time. Re-cut/sharpened dies can definitely change a shape subtly or greatly. Input from the pros in their product can change the shapes. Evolution can change a product greatly. After all, is a 1965 Porsche 911 anything like one from 2016? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

The difference in tolerances can migrate greatly over time. Re-cut/sharpened dies can definitely change a shape subtly or greatly. Input from the pros in their product can change the shapes. Evolution can change a product greatly. After all, is a 1965 Porsche 911 anything like one from 2016? 

Yes and no, there’s evolution in a product line, but when a guy is requesting Porsche build a ‘65 Porsche 911 and they claim they can you would expect the drive feel to be the same, in this case the break is similar but laced much wider on the newer glove.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, wishEMT said:

Yes and no, there’s evolution in a product line, but when a guy is requesting Porsche build a ‘65 Porsche 911 and they claim they can you would expect the drive feel to be the same, in this case the break is similar but laced much wider on the newer glove.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Fair statement.