Bauer 3X Line Feedback?

RichMan

On 2/10/2023 at 8:19 AM, xmikex32 said:

My atk is 20/ 20.5 if I remember correctly. I found some 3x that are brand new for $600 in large but worried it would be too big. Guess I could try on some hyperlites and see how they work. They are white so I could probably find some all white Mach’s or hyperlites gloves for cheap. 

Bauer uses FTK not ATK.

Though, if you have a ATK of 20", then I don't think Bauer would have any off the shelf items for you. :P 

35B2C751-2F88-409B-B8F8-5BC288897BC9.jpeg.b5d56e6c48acfa30ec2696b5c5111b3e.thumb.jpeg.0f5a8c73cf51f5791142c0b41ce8fb9b.jpeg

Y’all right I meant FTK. I’m in 34 warriors and fit pretty much perfect maybe even on the upper side of the knee stack but splitting hairs. 

so since Bauer only does +1 do you guys find the thigh rise on the smaller side? My 1.5 warriors are pretty perfect and I don’t have the widest flare. I remember my +1 9k’s thigh rise was kind of short. 

9 minutes ago, xmikex32 said:

Y’all right I meant FTK. I’m in 34 warriors and fit pretty much perfect maybe even on the upper side of the knee stack but splitting hairs. 

so since Bauer only does +1 do you guys find the thigh rise on the smaller side? My 1.5 warriors are pretty perfect and I don’t have the widest flare. I remember my +1 9k’s thigh rise was kind of short. 

Bauer leg pads are 1.5"

Here's an image of my 33+1.5 GT2's and my Small Ultrasonics. Pretty identical. Bauer's play slightly taller due to the steeper boot and straighter thighrise.

3X will be closer to the Warrior since they have the flatter boot.

20230215_101202.thumb.jpg.767c49df5b6166ba81aa1f36d176289b.jpg

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Bauer leg pads are 1.5"

Here's an image of my 33+1.5 GT2's and my Small Ultrasonics. Pretty identical. Bauer's play slightly taller due to the steeper boot and straighter thighrise.

3X will be closer to the Warrior since they have the flatter boot.

20230215_101202.thumb.jpg.767c49df5b6166ba81aa1f36d176289b.jpg

Did you notice a big difference as far as stiffness between the warriors and Bauers? I would expect the supremes to be stiffer just don’t know how much stiffer the vapors are vs warriors or even if they would be stiffer. 

Edited by xmikex32

I used a pair of Bauer 3X pads over the weekend. They overall felt rather nice, oddly springy with how soft-but-stiff they were.

My main opinions are:

• Loved the huge rebounds
  • The straps felt pretty comparatively crappy
    • The professor strap in particular really dug into my leg, and I usually use a professor strap
  • It was interesting having a pad that felt like it moved all at once; every butterfly was either the pad is entirely on the ice, or entirely not on the ice
    • I think I do prefer having some torsional movement in the pad compared to this, made leaning feel strange
  • Can't speak to sliding, it felt fine but it was a relatively easy game and I didn't have much snow accumulation
  • Toebox felt strange, I had a little trouble getting into my RVH as easily as I'm normally accustomed to it being

Final opinion: I'd wear them regularly, but I would not buy them personally. They do perform very well and I don't have much basis to compare them to other senior level pieces.

Edited by keeperton
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2023 at 5:13 PM, keeperton said:

I used a pair of Bauer 3X pads over the weekend. They overall felt rather nice, oddly springy with how soft-but-stiff they were.

My main opinions are:

• Loved the huge rebounds
  • The straps felt pretty comparatively crappy
    • The professor strap in particular really dug into my leg, and I usually use a professor strap
  • It was interesting having a pad that felt like it moved all at once; every butterfly was either the pad is entirely on the ice, or entirely not on the ice
    • I think I do prefer having some torsional movement in the pad compared to this, made leaning feel strange
  • Can't speak to sliding, it felt fine but it was a relatively easy game and I didn't have much snow accumulation
  • Toebox felt strange, I had a little trouble getting into my RVH as easily as I'm normally accustomed to it being

Final opinion: I'd wear them regularly, but I would not buy them personally. They do perform very well and I don't have much basis to compare them to other senior level pieces.

What were you coming from? 

7 hours ago, moore00 said:

What were you coming from? 

I normally wear extra stiff (TKA=124, no outer break) GNetikVs. I've actually never worn another "Senior" level pad in my life. A good few goalies I play with regularly have 3X pads and quite like them, most came from stuff like early Velocity style pads.

Edited by keeperton

I received my set a few weeks back.  Haven’t been able to get them on the ice yet due to a lack of open skates I could make.  Coming from a set of V8  (non-carbon) - seems like it’s going to be a pretty big difference.  The stability of the pad in the butterfly seems leaps and bounds better, but I did think the 3X will take a little time to get used to as it does seem like they’re going to move to and from the butterfly in one solid piece.  Can’t wait to see how they slide - the surface just seems much harder and also doesn’t have the weird mismatch where the knee stack meets the inner gusset. 

Very pleased by the initial quality of the pads and the gloves.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Question for 3X users: Does the index finger protection on the blocker cause get caught up on the paddle of your stick?  It’s only really a nuisance when I choke back down after playing the puck or poke checking as it interferes a bit with getting all the way back down to where the paddle starts.  Not sure if it will get better with time (I’ve only used the blocker a few times) or if it’s something I might want to modify at some point. 

31 minutes ago, sescaro said:

Question for 3X users: Does the index finger protection on the blocker cause get caught up on the paddle of your stick?  It’s only really a nuisance when I choke back down after playing the puck or poke checking as it interferes a bit with getting all the way back down to where the paddle starts.  Not sure if it will get better with time (I’ve only used the blocker a few times) or if it’s something I might want to modify at some point. 

Are you referring to the index protection on the sidewall? Or the one attached to the glove part? 

2 hours ago, sescaro said:

Mine did for the first few games. After that it’s almost complete stop snagging. Every once in awhile it will snag when I’m trying to slide back to the paddle really fast but it’s pretty rare 

17 hours ago, sescaro said:

The piece attached to the glove (see pic)

91A2CF0F-76A2-4030-905F-9E3F696B399D.jpeg

Different glove (Mach), but same index finger protection. 

Mine's pretty new (4 skates), so it's not as broken in as @Pezon36's, but I haven't noticed any issues with it getting caught on my stick after playing the puck. 

I've always lifted my index finger when sliding back up anyways, so that's probably why. 

Either way, here's some pictures for reference with and without the removable finger protection that comes with Supreme gloves. 

20230310_084410.thumb.jpg.0d9531b2050d31a8b9f939bbe6e40b7c.jpg20230310_084454.thumb.jpg.be4ee3b5e7754cc1835e655074fcb7b7.jpg

One more question for the group:  Is there any sort of extension option for the TuneFit 2.0 calf strap?  I see there are two different Velcro pads on each part of the ‘V’ to which you can adjust to, but even on the longer option and pulling the tab to only the start of the Velcro on the calf wrap, I find the fit a bit more snug than I prefer.  My calves aren’t even all that big!  

I tried to search the web to see if Bauer offered anything off the shelf, but didn’t come across it. I’m assuming I could add some more elastic with Velcro to the end of each part of the ‘V’ and all would be good. 

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, xmikex32 said:

As far as rebounds go how do the 3x compare to G5 pro's? I keep reading contradicting information that even though they are soft you still get hard rebounds out of them. Flexible pad with hard rebounds doesn't sound too bad.

Vapour and Supreme pads share a lot of similarities when it comes to rebounds and torsional flex. Where you're (mostly) going to see the differences is boot angle/flexibility and thighrise flexibility. 

I had G5 pros and the rebounds from my Ultrasonics are massively different. I'd expect the Vapours to be similar enough that you'd see a big diffrence. 

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Vapour and Supreme pads share a lot of similarities when it comes to rebounds and torsional flex. Where you're (mostly) going to see the differences is boot angle/flexibility and thighrise flexibility. 

I had G5 pros and the rebounds from my Ultrasonics are massively different. I'd expect the Vapours to be similar enough that you'd see a big diffrence. 

So you think the rebounds would be hotter off the 3x/hyperlites vs the warriors? 

10 minutes ago, xmikex32 said:

So you think the rebounds would be hotter off the 3x/hyperlites vs the warriors? 

Definitely. Rebounds probably won't be as hot as the Supreme line, but I think the difference is almost negligible 

I was actually disappointed in the stiffness and rebounds of the G5's. Hell, my GT2's were stiffer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Definitely. Rebounds probably won't be as hot as the Supreme line, but I think the difference is almost negligible 

I was actually disappointed in the stiffness and rebounds of the G5's. Hell, my GT2's were stiffer. 

2 hours ago, xmikex32 said:

If that's the case re: GT2 rebounds vs G5, then Hyperlite rebounds are absolutely bigger than G5. I've had both GT2 and Hyperlite.

so then vapor rebounds are hotter than warrior rebounds and supreme are even hotter or pretty close? Is the advantage of the supreme more so the actual stiffness of the pad and not rebounds? Granted the Supremes should have bigger rebounds but it seems like they are pretty close. This might be my first Bauer set and I'm trying to figure out what actually will work for me and what i want. I've gone from Simmons 999 series, velocity knockoff, to warrior g5 pros. i cant try the pads on the ice but I feel like i would like a stiffer pad but more looking for sliding and rebounds since i like the hotter rebound of the warriors they just seem to have softened up a little bit, which hasn't actually hindered my game.

I will admit that I'm note sure if the stiffer pad would work for me since i have a more medium to narrower BF. I am able to close the 5 hole with my warriors which are 34+1.5 with a single break. Looking at the two lines i can see the vapors being very flexible and i was able to easily bend the thigh rise of the hyperlite/3x. being a senior pad will the 3x noticeably get softer as they break in or do Bauer's foams hold up pretty well. If they do soften up maybe the Supremes will work once broken in more.

33 minutes ago, xmikex32 said:

so then vapor rebounds are hotter than warrior rebounds and supreme are even hotter or pretty close? Is the advantage of the supreme more so the actual stiffness of the pad and not rebounds? Granted the Supremes should have bigger rebounds but it seems like they are pretty close. This might be my first Bauer set and I'm trying to figure out what actually will work for me and what i want. I've gone from Simmons 999 series, velocity knockoff, to warrior g5 pros. i cant try the pads on the ice but I feel like i would like a stiffer pad but more looking for sliding and rebounds since i like the hotter rebound of the warriors they just seem to have softened up a little bit, which hasn't actually hindered my game.

I will admit that I'm note sure if the stiffer pad would work for me since i have a more medium to narrower BF. I am able to close the 5 hole with my warriors which are 34+1.5 with a single break. Looking at the two lines i can see the vapors being very flexible and i was able to easily bend the thigh rise of the hyperlite/3x. being a senior pad will the 3x noticeably get softer as they break in or do Bauer's foams hold up pretty well. If they do soften up maybe the Supremes will work once broken in more.

Just my suggestion but I would go with a really well used 3X if I were you and see how that goes. If it's too soft then you know that a new 3X will soften up too much in the end, and you can go with the Supreme/Mach line. You could probably recoup most of your money by selling the used after and then get what you really want after that experiment. I find that trying it just once or twice isn't enough, you need like a good month to find out what you like. 

Also I only have the experience of the G4 Pro and the 3X to compare but the 3X gives off much hotter rebounds.