Best Way to Learn the Butterfly Slide

ilyazhito

5 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Just practice my friend. I remember it taking me some time to learn how to do it with some sort of consistency and it's still something I work on to perfect. 

The more ice you can get to work on this, the more results you'll see. Don't stress too much about how your gear could be impacting your ability as 90% of this is technique. 

Practice, practice, practice. 

Exactly.  This is just one of those things like riding a bike where it just hits suddenly for no good reason as an AHA moment and then you can just do it.

I will say @ilyazhito the more vertical your push leg is the better, and the more horizontal it is the worse. More vertical gives you less chance of slipping and more power when you get it right.

There's some good attention to pushing and lateral movements here

Edited by seagoal
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ilyazhito said:

Thanks for the link. I'll be sure to check it out.

On a different note, it's a little easier closing the 5-hole with my new Medium 1S Od1ns. It feels different to have a pad where my knee is centered in the stack and not above center. 

Makes sense.  You have more pad above your knee now and your movement mechanics are better aligned in the pads.

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/24/2022 at 1:26 PM, seagoal said:

Makes sense.  You have more pad above your knee now and your movement mechanics are better aligned in the pads.

Update: The Large 2S Pros are actually a better fit. The Medium 1S Od1ns actually ended up slipping off my knees, so I sold them.

I've had fewer 5-hole issues with my new pads. I was able to slide left while on the ground with my new pads, but sliding right is still difficult. Slides from my feet are no issue. 

• 3 months later...

Finally got some video of how I train my butterfly sliding and control of it. These are right after an hour of goalie training so I'm pretty much exhausted and struggling quite a lot with my bodywork and stance.

First is around the dot (puck is good too). 

And second goes halfway around the circle. I really didn't have that much energy left that I would've pushed the full round. Edited by ArdeFIN
  • Like 1