Warrior Ritual GT pads or maybe something else?

BamBam

Hi!

I’m new to the forum but not to being goalie. :)

I’ve been out of the game for a couple of years due to hip issues. I went through surgery last October and am now recovering and hoping to get back in between the pipes by next season at least.

I’ve sold all my old gear and am now looking for new ones and had a question about the Ritual GT pads.

I’m looking to give my hips the best possible chance of holding up so I’m trying to make my gear decisions based on what style of gear will provide the least amount of stress to the joints in my legs. 

Having a pad with an open knee cradle is probably the first thing I’d like to have. Also an elastic toe tie system and a thick and soft knee landing is another. Maybe an open leg channel would aid as well. Apart from these I’m thinking that a decent amount of torsional flex would probably be a good idea.

I love the look of the Ritual GT pads but after having played with the first and second generation Rituals and having experienced the plank like qualities of those pads, I was wondering wether the GT’s actually had a decent amount of torsional flex?

Vaughn Velocity pads would probably be my best bet all around but I’d probably had to go custom to get a more loose fitting leg channel and that is waaaay out of my budget..

I wonder if any of the smaller custom manufacturers would work? Passau, Battram, Kenesky, McKenney, etc.... I haven't used any of them but they seem to be a bit cheaper than the retail pro pads but with more (potential) customization. I know Battram has a Boxing week sale on now (their Retro pads look Vaughn-like), and the recent review by @Chenner29 about his Kenesky equipment looked very positive. I've seen McKenney pads in person; they seem like Vaughn clones at a cheaper price (please correct me if I am wrong on any of this).

Also, what about the Brian's Heritage line? They seem to have a soft boot and lower break (no outer upper break so it's pretty stiff but I'm sure you could custom order it with one).

8 hours ago, TitanG said:

I wonder if any of the smaller custom manufacturers would work? Passau, Battram, Kenesky, McKenney, etc.... I haven't used any of them but they seem to be a bit cheaper than the retail pro pads but with more (potential) customization. I know Battram has a Boxing week sale on now (their Retro pads look Vaughn-like), and the recent review by @Chenner29 about his Kenesky equipment looked very positive. I've seen McKenney pads in person; they seem like Vaughn clones at a cheaper price (please correct me if I am wrong on any of this).

Also, what about the Brian's Heritage line? They seem to have a soft boot and lower break (no outer upper break so it's pretty stiff but I'm sure you could custom order it with one).

Thanks for the tag, I can't say enough good things about my Kenesky gear. 

@BamBam Mike at Kenesky can really do anything - he's made some traditional styled pads for other members on here.  He's built for a lot of the big boys and can really tune a pad to how you want it; a thicker, softer knee block is easy for him to do.  My brother brought over his brand new GTs today and there is a pretty big difference in how stiff they are compared to mine (my pads are about two months in, his have been used once).

I have access to a lot of equipment (GoalieMonkey is about 10 minutes from me).  For retail stock gear with a lot of flex, I'd actually recommend the Vaughn Ventus.  Despite it looking like a flat face, box style pad it is actually very flexible.  The floor models I played with were very impressive - I was able to get them twist in ways the Velocity couldn't, let alone any of the much stiffer Warriors.

That being said, if pricing is a concern Kenesky is priced at $1800 for a full set.  Most of the stuff available at retail runs that price for pads only.   Most mods are free as well; he may charge extra for custom graphics or a change in the pad core.

On 31.12.2017 at 8:10 AM, Chenner29 said:

@BamBam Mike at Kenesky can really do anything - he's made some traditional styled pads for other members on here.  He's built for a lot of the big boys and can really tune a pad to how you want it; a thicker, softer knee block is easy for him to do.  My brother brought over his brand new GTs today and there is a pretty big difference in how stiff they are compared to mine (my pads are about two months in, his have been used once).

I have access to a lot of equipment (GoalieMonkey is about 10 minutes from me).  For retail stock gear with a lot of flex, I'd actually recommend the Vaughn Ventus.  Despite it looking like a flat face, box style pad it is actually very flexible.  The floor models I played with were very impressive - I was able to get them twist in ways the Velocity couldn't, let alone any of the much stiffer Warriors.

That being said, if pricing is a concern Kenesky is priced at $1800 for a full set.  Most of the stuff available at retail runs that price for pads only.   Most mods are free as well; he may charge extra for custom graphics or a change in the pad core.

Thank you for your insight! Very helpful information. A set of Kenesky gear would be a dream set but I’m in a situation where I’m coming back from a hip surgery and it’s still not 100% certain that I am able to play consistently. That means that the time for new full custom gear won’t be until I am able to prove myself that my legs can really take the stress and I’ll be able to play as a goalie on the level I want.

I’m looking for something to get back in the ice with a fairly low budget and after I feel that my hip is good to go it’s time to start saving for a custom set.

The Ventus tip is extremely interesting. I’ve never had a chance to try a set in person. I’ve tried a Velocity V6 pad in a store and they were extremely flexible compared to what I’ve had before that (Warrior Ritual gen 1 and G2, Larceny L9 and P4 Pro double break). Hearing that the Ventus might provide even more flex is intriguing :)  Does that apply to every generation of Ventus or just the newest model?

On 30.12.2017 at 11:11 PM, TitanG said:

They are all viable options but for now I’m limited to mostly used equipment and it’s very rare to see gear from these smaller guys for sale especially in Europe ?

We have a few smaller manufacturers in Europe as well that would be a great option when I’ve made sure that my hips can take the stress. Once I know for sure that I’m able to play it’s time to start saving for a custom set

7 hours ago, BamBam said:

Thank you for your insight! Very helpful information. A set of Kenesky gear would be a dream set but I’m in a situation where I’m coming back from a hip surgery and it’s still not 100% certain that I am able to play consistently. That means that the time for new full custom gear won’t be until I am able to prove myself that my legs can really take the stress and I’ll be able to play as a goalie on the level I want.

I’m looking for something to get back in the ice with a fairly low budget and after I feel that my hip is good to go it’s time to start saving for a custom set.

The Ventus tip is extremely interesting. I’ve never had a chance to try a set in person. I’ve tried a Velocity V6 pad in a store and they were extremely flexible compared to what I’ve had before that (Warrior Ritual gen 1 and G2, Larceny L9 and P4 Pro double break). Hearing that the Ventus might provide even more flex is intriguing :)  Does that apply to every generation of Ventus or just the newest model?

The earlier Ventus sets never interested me so I never got a chance to fiddle with them.  I know for sure the newest generation is one of the more flexible sets I've seen at retail.

Anyone have any experience on the Bauer Vapor series? More specifically the X900`s. They are advertised as a replacement for the Reactor series as the ”hybrid” option on their product lineup but they look like a pure butterfly pad to me with no outer breaks and a solid face. Do they really offer good flex or are they in reality just Supreme’s with a different graphic?

7 minutes ago, BamBam said:

Anyone have any experience on the Bauer Vapor series? More specifically the X900`s. They are advertised as a replacement for the Reactor series as the ”hybrid” option on their product lineup but they look like a pure butterfly pad to me with no outer breaks and a solid face. Do they really offer good flex or are they in reality just Supreme’s with a different graphic?

They're more in line with the GT's than the old reactors. Saying that, GT's have one single inner/outer break at the knee while the Vapours have no external breaks but two internal (knee/thigh).

They'll be more flexible that the Supremes but they aren't "hybrid" pads.

I finally had some time to visit a couple of local hockey shops and tried out some gear. (Not on me but had the chance flex and prod them).

I have to say that the Rituals were a very pleasant surprise. X900’s were just as stiff as I anticipated and can’t imagine how stiff the Supremes are since these felt like near solid planks to me ? Rituals had a nice (even surprising) amount of flex both torsional and on the breaks as well.

They also had a set of Vaughn V7 XF Pro’s which felt nice of course but the knee block felt quite a bit harder then on the Rituals.

Also fiddled with the CCM eflex 3.9’s which were a huge disappointment keeping in mind my requirements. They were by far the heaviest pad and way stiffer than either the Vaughn’s or Rituals.

Since the Rituals are much cheaper then the Vaughn’s I have to say that they were my favorites of the bunch. I’m going to be playing maybe two times a week in a moderate level beer league and have a limited budget so escpecially the Sr versions of the Ritual GT’s are tempting.

A bit off topic but tried on some gloves as well and even though the construction of the Ritual glove feels very different from a “classic”catch glove I loved the fit (My hands are on the smaller side) and break of it. I’m not sure if I’m a fan of the strapping tough with no wrist strap but that might be a non issue since it felt secure. Just might need some getting used to. Tried on some Gnetik gloves as well and it felt great apart from the BOA system on the top of my hand. Somehow felt like the tension concentrated more on one side of my hand instead of dispersing the tension evenly. Another great feeling glove was the CCM Premier. Wasn’t a fan of the break on either Vaughn’s Velocity or Ventus gloves. The X900 felt decent but the break construction felt uncomfortable.

Give a long look at Passau...  I had Passau before moving into a set of  RGT's but going with a company that can make you any pad you like... with Pro level product and service with Sr pad level pricing.  

@GoalieTimmy33 is easily one of the best reps to work with... Tim went super in depth with my pads not missing any detail.  My set up was lite and functional but still very flexible.  I went with no external breaks, interior mid knee break.  Passau Smart Strapping plus maltese gel in the knee landing.  I wouldn't hesitate to move back into them if I didn't like the Warrior lines now (really wanting to get my hands on the G4 line).

3 hours ago, BamBam said:

Since the Rituals are much cheaper then the Vaughn’s I have to say that they were my favorites of the bunch. I’m going to be playing maybe two times a week in a moderate level beer league and have a limited budget so escpecially the Sr versions of the Ritual GT’s are tempting.

A bit off topic but tried on some gloves as well and even though the construction of the Ritual glove feels very different from a “classic”catch glove I loved the fit (My hands are on the smaller side) and break of it. I’m not sure if I’m a fan of the strapping tough with no wrist strap but that might be a non issue since it felt secure. Just might need some getting used to.

I've had the Sr R/GT's since release and they're holding up quite well. I play 2-3 times a week. So they're seeing some decent usage.

As for the glove, I'm going to have a real hard time going back to a glove with a wrist strap after using a warrior. There's never been once where I thought I was going to lose my glove during a game and I don't exactly have the thing strapped down too tightly either. The wrist freedom is fantastic.

My last glove which was a prototype from a Finnish custom manufacturer (now called KOVA goalie) had a similar wrist setup to a Brian’s Gnetik where it tightened on the wrist but the strap itself was not connected to the glove. That gave me great wrist mobility and I’m finding it hard to go back to a traditional wrist strap. This might just be the next step..loosing the strap altogether :)

One pad model I haven’t had a chance to try on is the Simmons 99x-1000 series. The UL-series seems like a very soft pad but how about the 99x-1000 series pads? They seem to be geared towards a butterfly style but to me they look like they could play like a soft pad with just a flat face. Anyone with experience on these?

Archived