Warrior G5 to Brians

StevenC

With the recency of how relatively "new" the G5 line is as well as the pandemic, I don't think you'll find too many people with direct experience jumping from one pro set to another.

I'm curious to see what durability issues you're having. I've had my GT2 pros since June 2019, and they're still in great condition for being on the ice 1-3 times a week. (albeit with some gaps due to shutdowns).

As for trying to answer the question, the Optiks will be closer solely due to the less torsional flex compared to the Gnetiks. Though, the Warrior's wide open leg channel will be quite a bit different than what Brians has (which I believe are more or less identical between brands)

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

With the recency of how relatively "new" the G5 line is as well as the pandemic, I don't think you'll find too many people with direct experience jumping from one pro set to another.

I'm curious to see what durability issues you're having. I've had my GT2 pros since June 2019, and they're still in great condition for being on the ice 1-3 times a week. (albeit with some gaps due to shutdowns).

As for trying to answer the question, the Optiks will be closer solely due to the less torsional flex compared to the Gnetiks. Though, the Warrior's wide open leg channel will be quite a bit different than what Brians has (which I believe are more or less identical between brands)

I have quite a few wear spots appearing pretty quickly and growing (albeit slowly).

Disappointing considering the Passau's I replaced didn't show much wear at all.

I did think the Optik 2 would be closer, but i had a set of G-Netiks when they originally came out and got on good with them!

9 minutes ago, StevenC said:

I have quite a few wear spots appearing pretty quickly and growing (albeit slowly).

I did think the Optik 2 would be closer, but i had a set of G-Netiks when they originally came out and got on good with them!

Curious to see some photos. G5 went back to a bindingless knee, which was the main focus of wear and tear on the GT2 and especially the G4.

My knee wing shows some where, but none of the binding has come loose. So knock on wood, things are holding tight.

• 1 month later...
On 1/11/2022 at 4:19 PM, StevenC said:

As a Brian’s owner and recent recipient of optik2’s, I can say you won’t be disappointed in the quality. My last set of custom Brian’s lasted 7 years, and I played pretty regularly in them. But I guess the key word is custom. 

Stock (of the shelf) Brian’s are quality pads, but when you go the custom route Brian’s is the best! If want something and it’s doable, they’ll do it! I have a calf strap in and tight, keep the calf wrap pretty loose, and I don’t seem to have any mobility issues from the knee down. But if you really wanted them to open up the calf wrap, they will. Custom pads are more expensive, but well worth it if you want something other than stock. 

You can check out my specs and more details on this thread: 

Hope this helps from the Brian’s side of things. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/11/2022 at 1:49 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Did you ever go through with this switch? I was in G3 Pros with Optik 2 gloves and just yesterday I purchased a set of Optik 3. It will be a while until I get to try them on ice though.

12 hours ago, Rayzilla said:

Did you ever go through with this switch? I was in G3 Pros with Optik 2 gloves and just yesterday I purchased a set of Optik 3. It will be a while until I get to try them on ice though.

You should definitely write some kind of post on who the pads play, there are no decent reviews on the optik 3s. 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 6:03 AM, Rayzilla said:

No, I never was going to Mae the transition to brian's. 

I did make a switch to Bauer though. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

No, I never was going to Mae the transition to brian's. 

I did make a switch to Bauer though. 

I was all set to purchase a White with a little Sliver accent HyperLite 2 set but they were missing the matching blocker. More on this weekend I start up my thread.

• Like 2