2022 CCM Axis 2 Goalie Pads Glove Blocker

ThatCarGuy

6 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Man, it seems like the new palm construction and new backhand doesn't come with the glove if you order the older 580/590/600 style breaks. I don't think I will like the lack of finger stalls. Do we know if the thumb and pinky loops are gone, too?

I think the InGoal overview talked about there being an elastic thumb loop in there when I read it last night.

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

But definitely not an improvement over the tried and true finger stalls gloves have had since forever? 

I'm not here to suck up to CCM, since I don't usually like their products, but I cannot imagine they release this 591 glove with no finger stalls without testing it and getting a lot of feedback. The backhand strap sounds/looks nice (looks like the Mach and like what Warrior has been doing) and the concept of your fingers being where it innately going to work with you and the glove the best seems neat and thoughtful.

I'd say it's worth trying and giving a solid adjustment period to see if it could with you or not. I appreciate what CCM is doing with this glove (and revision of the line) considering how awful every CCM glove has ever felt on my hand compared to literally anything else on the shelf. The ideas in the pads look like solid improvements, the glove is promising, and the blocker is logical. After having gotten to fuss with set of Axis gear that one of the guys I play with was using, I was incredibly unimpressed (pads were soft, knee block was floppier than my brother's V3's stack, could not close the glove that was multiple months old). Based on what I've read and watched I think the Axis 2 could be the step they need to take to win people over.

3 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

image.png.d68f3e0c1d261d3ae3e45659aaf90ddd.png

This color setup actually looks cool. I imagine what it would look like if the robot had the gun in his left hand. I'd definitely wear the blue with red and silver stripes if my team's colour was blue. Otherwise, it would be my team's dominant colour with the other colours as accents. 

1 hour ago, ilyazhito said:

This color setup actually looks cool. I imagine what it would look like if the robot had the gun in his left hand. I'd definitely wear the blue with red and silver stripes if my team's colour was blue. Otherwise, it would be my team's dominant colour with the other colours as accents. 

You really don't know who that dude is?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

He's a transformer, but I'm so inept with pop culture that I don't recognize exactly who he is. That transformer's name would be an example of a "trash" question in QuizBowl. 

He's like the main one though, Optimus Prime.

On 5/18/2022 at 11:36 PM, ZeroGravitas said:

So I kinda like this pad design...

Pads.thumb.png.54884deda90becdd02101441449a1a6a.png

But then I get to matching glove and blocker and throw up in my mouth a little...

Catch.thumb.png.58fcaf9430f84cb3e9ee0416365fe78b.pngBlock.thumb.png.4c161aac5c1d2e9586286af3f786f025.png

The light blue landing surface kinda ruins the whole thing for the blocker and catcher, IMO.

Recent ccm graphics have a problem with the landing surface color. I feel like it never flows well with any graphic zone.

To be fair, I have disliked CCM graphics pretty much since the P2 in 2018. 

On the other hand, can’t wait to see the custom graphics capabilities they have, best thing to come with this line imo.

5 hours ago, maxtm30 said:

To be fair, I have disliked CCM graphics pretty much since the P2 in 2018. 

On the other hand, can’t wait to see the custom graphics capabilities they have, best thing to come with this line imo.

I agree for the most part. P2 wasn't that great. EF5 was weird with the exposed molded foam. Axis 1 was meh, too. I really did like the EF4 graphic though.

Funny thing is that the Axis 2 doesn't look too bad in-person, at least from the photos I've seen on Instagram. The sunburst design doesn't seem nearly as visible in the pictures as they do on the customizers.

52 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

I agree for the most part. P2 wasn't that great. EF5 was weird with the exposed molded foam. Axis 1 was meh, too. I really did like the EF4 graphic though.

Funny thing is that the Axis 2 doesn't look too bad in-person, at least from the photos I've seen on Instagram. The sunburst design doesn't seem nearly as visible in the pictures as they do on the customizers.

Hopefully the NHL goalies who do choose to use Axis 2s will have cool designs on their pads. If I ever get custom pads, mine will have shapes and/or stripes in team colours. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got a chance to check these out in person. 

Pads look great and you can see that their version of Bauer's knee stack holds up. Construction looked and felt a lot better than the Axis 1 and CCM pads in general. 

Blocker looks to be a nice improvement as well. Still familiar feel, but you can see how CCM is starting to diverge away from the t lefebvre build style. 

Speaking of diverging, the 591 glove, is well, just not good. Disclaimer, I've never been a fan of Lefebvre/CCM gloves or 580 closures, so obviously this is going to sway my opinion on this, but it felt like a very mutated version of a 580 glove that somehow I found worse. 

Let alone the lack of finger stalls... You know, I think my previous opinion on the break wouldn't be as 'drastic' had the glove come with almost standard internals, but that lack of finger stalls is super alien feeling and I struggle to see the benefit of their removal. 

The hand/wrist straps they've put into it and a great upgrade through. You can tell they're heading the direction of Warrior/Bauer with the removal of the wrist strap as a whole. 

I think CCM/Lefebvre guys are going to really like this set, but that glove is going to be a massive talking point. 

Edited by coopaloop1234

On 5/31/2022 at 8:49 AM, coopaloop1234 said:

Speaking of diverging, the 591 glove, is well, just not good. Disclaimer, I've never been a fan of Lefebvre/CCM gloves or 580 closures, so obviously this is going to sway my opinion on this, but it felt like a very mutated version of a 580 glove that somehow I found worse.  

Do you mean that the 591 feels like a 580, or is this a typo/misspeak/I'm not following here?

1 hour ago, keeperton said:

Do you mean that the 591 feels like a 580, or is this a typo/misspeak/I'm not following here?

It felt more like a 580 than a 590 to me. Even though I know it's supposed to be a 590.

I wonder if that's due to the non existant hand positioning due to no finger stalls? 

21 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

It felt more like a 580 than a 590 to me. Even though I know it's supposed to be a 590.

I wonder if that's due to the non existant hand positioning due to no finger stalls? 

That's interesting. I'd love to try one on my hand, but alas, I live in a hockey desert.

On 6/3/2022 at 12:11 AM, ThatCarGuy said:

From the sound of it the only thing carried over from 590 is the shape. No finger stalls would allow you to make the glove feel close to any break you want. 

I put the glove on and definitely felt like a 600 closure with your fingers. My concern also with this is no finger stalls and the materials. Within time as the materials wear off and the hot summer days your fingers are going to slip no doubt.  I'm very hesitant and might keep my original 590. 

31 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

I put the glove on and definitely felt like a 600 closure with your fingers. My concern also with this is no finger stalls and the materials. Within time as the materials wear off and the hot summer days your fingers are going to slip no doubt.  I'm very hesitant and might keep my original 590. 

Maybe you should be using a 600 then😉

All joking aside, supposedly your fingers will form indents in the glove over time. Even when the suregrip wears out I would expect the indents should be deep enough on the front and back of the fingers to secure your hand.