2022 CCM Axis 2 Goalie Pads Glove Blocker

ThatCarGuy

18 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Maybe you should be using a 600 then😉

All joking aside, supposedly your fingers will form indents in the glove over time. Even when the suregrip wears out I would expect the indents should be deep enough on the front and back of the fingers to secure your hand.

I don't like the 600 so I probably won't. But I have no trust in the inside materials for my fingers to form these indents and as said I have a feeling that over time they will slide.  Anyone here used the Axis glove to know? 

I like my 590 Axis as @coopaloop1234 said might go that route. 

Tried on a Axis 2.9 catcher at the store the other day. I thought it felt awful. Hated the lack of finger stalls.

And the price! It costs $309.99 USD compared to $289.99 for the Bauer 3X/M5 Pro or $279.99 for Warrior G6.

Unfortunately for CCM, I think customers will try it on, think "Ew" and look for something else. I have a feeling these will be a tough sell.

7 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Tried on a Axis 2.9 catcher at the store the other day. I thought it felt awful. Hated the lack of finger stalls.

And the price! It costs $309.99 USD compared to $289.99 for the Bauer 3X/M5 Pro or $279.99 for Warrior G6.

Unfortunately for CCM, I think customers will try it on, think "Ew" and look for something else. I have a feeling these will be a tough sell.

I feel like anyone who actually likes the lack of finger stalls is going to have pick of the litter of half used Axis gloves on sideline swap in a matter of months. 

On 1/18/2022 at 9:42 PM, ThatCarGuy said:

Symmetric graphics aren’t bad with axis 2 either

8F0E56B6-AA0E-4C7B-9B3B-5193DF8DD877.thumb.png.2fc15172da90c1bcc52aa88b654e9dbe.png

Simmons had an almost if not completely identical graphic back in their early days, late 90s early 2000. For the life of me I can't remember what the line was called. I think it was around their Platinum line days.

On 1/19/2022 at 12:32 PM, Chenner29 said:

It doesn't quite look like a 1:1 port of the Bauer Stabilislide/Flex.  Bauer uses a pretty thick piece of plastic that makes the pad a little bit top heavy

Based on pictures, it looks like the integrated knee is only at the outer knee wing.  The knee block looks like the same old design, but possibly sewn in instead of laced in.

Here's a seamless inner

image.png.1443be69e64c730adc49fa3783e106ba.png

Here's the knee block, you can see some foam sticking out where it butts up against the back of the pad

image.png.edbcf929171a0a0048211a3f3c8e5121.png

For the modern pro-fly goalie, this is golden. I don't see why they waited so long to try this, and even more so, why not do the same with the calf portion. A one piece inside wall can only solidify the seal on the ice and I'm sure it gives better knee/leg drive when dropping.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 5:05 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

It's definitely a glove I'd recommend people to not buy blindly. It's very unique in it's feel. 

This is solid advice. I have used mine on ice a few times. It's very different.

If it's not for you... Order a custom set and order the standard 580, 590, or 600

CCM is trying to force the glove to evolve, but making it easy for anyone who does not like it to stick with what works

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

This is solid advice. I have used mine on ice a few times. It's very different.

If it's not for you... Order a custom set and order the standard 580, 590, or 600

CCM is trying to force the glove to evolve, but making it easy for anyone who does not like it to stick with what works

How has the heat molded foams changed? Is it as advertised or would having dedicated fingerstalls be preferable? 

On 6/8/2022 at 2:17 PM, ZeroGravitas said:

Ew was my thoughts exactly 🤣

5 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

This is something that got me thinking. As I compare my cuffless Mach blocker to my cuffed Ultrasonic. It got me pondering 2 questions

1. Are manufactures inventing problems to fix them? …. My opinion on this is absolutely. I’m sure others will differ. 

2. Where is the equipment design pendulum swinging? This one is more challenging to think about. There seems to be more marketing with biomechanics in mind. Do these designs stop more pucks then their predecessors? Maybe they do….but?

Edited by RedX

16 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

How has the heat molded foams changed? Is it as advertised or would having dedicated fingerstalls be preferable? 

I mistakenly thought my hand would sink into the foam, like a commercial for Tempedic Foam. That's the not case. The molding helps, but I think if no finger stalls leaves you unnerved, it won't change post bake

12 hours ago, RedX said:

This is something that got me thinking. As I compare my cuffless Mach blocker to my cuffed Ultrasonic. It got me pondering 2 questions

1. Are manufactures inventing problems to fix them? …. My opinion on this is absolutely. I’m sure others will differ. 

2. Where is the equipment design pendulum swinging? This one is more challenging to think about. There seems to be more marketing with biomechanics in mind. Do these designs stop more pucks then their predecessors? Maybe they do….but?

1 - This is 100% a fair take on it. This is the world that more conservative brands like True or Vaughn live in.

In my opinion, retailers want 2x product lines, 24 mo release cycle, and alternative release years so there is a fresh product in the store every year. To me, this is the root cause of the problem with new for the sake of new. If Pro level gear released every 48 months and maybe there were rolling changes of new options available at custom every 12 months, consumers would be happier.

With that said... There is a positive to this, it forces the companies to constantly consider and challenge themselves on how to do things better. There are going to be some misses and there are going to be some hits. It's not any different than any other industry...

I know enough about sneakers and golf clubs to be dangerous, there have been square drivers and Shox cushioning that were super hot for a bit... at the end of the day, air is the undefeated champion and people like pear shaped drivers.

But things like moveable weights and React might have seemed gimmicky at the time, but are now industry main stays. I think for every 2 game changing new pieces of technology, there are probably 6 ones that get forgotten

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I mistakenly thought my hand would sink into the foam, like a commercial for Tempedic Foam. That's the not case. The molding helps, but I think if no finger stalls leaves you unnerved, it won't change post bake

That's what my initial impression was as well, but based off of some discussions with guys at THS, they seemed to believe the foams that line the top of your fingers was the one to 'mold'. (albeit slightly).

Will be curious on your thoughts longer term on this glove. This is the piece of gear that has my interest the most (despite I'll never use it). 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Got to try on an Axis 2.9 pieces at the Pure Hockey in Lynnwood (Seattle) last weekend.

Glove (591, game ready, no finger stalls): The lack of finger stalls is actually kind of comfy from an off-the-shelf concept, cannot speak to using it. The strapping is nice and works totally fine to keep your hand in there. Th glove closes like a complete piece of shit, and by that I mean not at all. Off-the-shelf closure is super important to me and (I have tendonitis, no exaggeration, I could not close it at all. I am at the point where I don't understand why anyone would buy this after trying it on.

Blocker: I don't have much to say about the blocker. I'm not a fan of the spandex material Bauer and CCM are using for finger gussets (the 2.9 doesn't have the D30 in the index finger).

Pads: Pads are fine, I remain unconvinced by SpeedSkin as a sliding material. The design philosophy on stiffening the landing stack works, strapping felt good (especially their implementation of the calf bracket strap). The knee block is much less able to flop around than the Axis 1, the calf pillow is substantial.

1 hour ago, keeperton said:

Got to try on an Axis 2.9 pieces at the Pure Hockey in Lynnwood (Seattle) last weekend.

Glove (591, game ready, no finger stalls): The lack of finger stalls is actually kind of comfy from an off-the-shelf concept, cannot speak to using it. The strapping is nice and works totally fine to keep your hand in there. Th glove closes like a complete piece of shit, and by that I mean not at all. Off-the-shelf closure is super important to me and (I have tendonitis, no exaggeration, I could not close it at all. I am at the point where I don't understand why anyone would buy this after trying it on.

Blocker: I don't have much to say about the blocker. I'm not a fan of the spandex material Bauer and CCM are using for finger gussets (the 2.9 doesn't have the D30 in the index finger).

Pads: Pads are fine, I remain unconvinced by SpeedSkin as a sliding material. The design philosophy on stiffening the landing stack works, strapping felt good (especially their implementation of the calf bracket strap). The knee block is much less able to flop around than the Axis 1, the calf pillow is substantial.

I honestly wonder if CCM changed who is making their senior and retail stock lines after the Lefevre breakup.

Every non-custom CCM glove I have tried on since the split has been garbage

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

I honestly wonder if CCM changed who is making their senior and retail stock lines after the Lefevre breakup.

Not 100% but I think EF4 was built in China while Axis, EF5 and Axis 2 are built in Vietnam.

2 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I genuinely don't understand why people buy this stuff. I live in a hockey void (greetings from Oregon) and some of the kids I coach and other goalies I play in adult league with will get these gloves and have these issues. I've had junior gloves on my hand that are engineered like complete trash and are uncloseable even with two hands (like, at best part of it comes together but there's no seal). All the Bauer gloves I've tried on have felt nice, the Vaughn gloves nice but stiff, and the (I am biased) Brian's gloves have always worked wonders for me. Closest convert glove for me thus far has been the Hyperlite, haven't gotten to try a Mach on.

I've had an Axis 1 game ready 590 on my hand that was broken in and it could close, but it was still stiffer than my propalm glove. Additionally, I've had a 590 propalm EF5 on my hand and could close it too, the glove was a beat in practice glove for Gianuzzi (Winterhawks) that one of my students got, so it's been broken in nice.

I really feel like they're coasting on brand recognition here and their CHL deals.

53 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Not 100% but I think EF4 was built in China while Axis, EF5 and Axis 2 are built in Vietnam.

Pure Hockey has it as Vietnam for Axis, Axis 2, Axis 2.9, EF5, EF5.9, then China for EF4 products.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

21 hours ago, keeperton said:

Pure Hockey has it as Vietnam for Axis, Axis 2, Axis 2.9, EF5, EF5.9, then China for EF4 products.

But which country's food is better?????

I genuinely don't understand why people buy this stuff. I live in a hockey void (greetings from Oregon) and some of the kids I coach and other goalies I play in adult league with will get these gloves and have these issues. I've had junior gloves on my hand that are engineered like complete trash and are uncloseable even with two hands (like, at best part of it comes together but there's no seal). All the Bauer gloves I've tried on have felt nice, the Vaughn gloves nice but stiff, and the (I am biased) Brian's gloves have always worked wonders for me. Closest convert glove for me thus far has been the Hyperlite, haven't gotten to try a Mach on.

I've had an Axis 1 game ready 590 on my hand that was broken in and it could close, but it was still stiffer than my propalm glove. Additionally, I've had a 590 propalm EF5 on my hand and could close it too, the glove was a beat in practice glove for Gianuzzi (Winterhawks) that one of my students got, so it's been broken in nice.

I really feel like they're coasting on brand recognition here and their CHL deals.

Kinda playing devil's advocate here.  I worked retail when the RBK P1 first hit.  The gear sold EXTREMELY well because a lot of pros either started wearing it or were pushed into it.

I don't know if the demand was too big to keep up, but both Lefevre and CCM were pumping out P1 gear, I guess due to unprecedented demand what whatnot. 

You could tell where the gear came from because the embroidery on the CCM stuff was done in some weird cursive font.  The Lefevre stuff kept with the block font that we've come to know and love. 

On the store stock, they embroidered the size; on the custom stuff, it was usually the customer's name if they opted for it.  I wanna say they changed embroidery locations too?  No idea why they opted for the change to keep appearances up.

The QC on the CCM stuff was trash, but this was particularly evident in the gloves.  No two gloves closed the same, and this was when the company was only offering two breaks (580 and 590).  At this time, we were carrying the CCM lines too - I think this was around the time the Blockade/Gatekeeper lines were running, before it transitioned into the Xpulse/V10.  Despite being made in Canada, none of the CCM branded gloves closed well at all.

Where I'm going with this - I kind of wonder if this is a CCM thing now that Lefevre isn't there to push the importance of a nice closing glove.  Who knows. I've tried on a current Axis and Eflex 5.  I wanna say both were tagged as 590 breaks but I could not tell based on feel alone as they did not feel like any 590 break I can remember. 

Bonus content

5 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

But which country's food is better?????

Kinda playing devil's advocate here.  I worked retail when the RBK P1 first hit.  The gear sold EXTREMELY well because a lot of pros either started wearing it or were pushed into it.

I don't know if the demand was too big to keep up, but both Lefevre and CCM were pumping out P1 gear, I guess due to unprecedented demand what whatnot. 

You could tell where the gear came from because the embroidery on the CCM stuff was done in some weird cursive font.  The Lefevre stuff kept with the block font that we've come to know and love. 

On the store stock, they embroidered the size; on the custom stuff, it was usually the customer's name if they opted for it.  I wanna say they changed embroidery locations too?  No idea why they opted for the change to keep appearances up.

The QC on the CCM stuff was trash, but this was particularly evident in the gloves.  No two gloves closed the same, and this was when the company was only offering two breaks (580 and 590).  At this time, we were carrying the CCM lines too - I think this was around the time the Blockade/Gatekeeper lines were running, before it transitioned into the Xpulse/V10.  Despite being made in Canada, none of the CCM branded gloves closed well at all.

Where I'm going with this - I kind of wonder if this is a CCM thing now that Lefevre isn't there to push the importance of a nice closing glove.  Who knows. I've tried on a current Axis and Eflex 5.  I wanna say both were tagged as 590 breaks but I could not tell based on feel alone as they did not feel like any 590 break I can remember. 

On food: easy, depends on one's mood.

I'm mostly being rhetorical when asking who buys it/why, though your additional thought is appreciated. I too remember the time when the Reebok Premiers first debuted and it was ubiquitous. I didn't think it was without merit, but it was never "for me" back then.

I've mostly felt that CCM was producing relative garbage on the retail consumer level for awhile now. What I mostly notice is how hard they push all their technologies/R&D promotional materials and utilize influencers/regular marketing deals. If I really want to be critical here: I've gotten to behold custom Axis 1 stuff, it was incredibly unimpressive (the knee stack was floppier than the guy's previous Subzero 3 pads, it had almost no integrity) and the broken in glove was still stiff. The custom EF3, EF4, and EF5 were all measurably better, gloves still super stiff after being well broken in and the blocker palms rather worn/pilled. I don't really understand how they're still chugging along beyond brand recognition at this stage; CCM lost nearly every NHL goalie they had when the Lefevre team left (Markstrom, Rittich, Demko, Skinner). Something isn't right here.

I do think it's a joke that goalies in the CHL have to adhere to one of three brands due to deals with the league, specifically because it's during incredibly formative years for them. 

TL;DR Their pads are fine enough, their catch gloves are absolute dogshit and I think they're only skirting by because they can throw their marketing weight around. I don't get off on a company failing, I'm baffled that their catchers are truly this bad; I shouldn't be laughing as a gut reaction to trying one on in a store.

5 hours ago, keeperton said:

On food: easy, depends on one's mood.

I'm mostly being rhetorical when asking who buys it/why, though your additional thought is appreciated. I too remember the time when the Reebok Premiers first debuted and it was ubiquitous. I didn't think it was without merit, but it was never "for me" back then.

I've mostly felt that CCM was producing relative garbage on the retail consumer level for awhile now. What I mostly notice is how hard they push all their technologies/R&D promotional materials and utilize influencers/regular marketing deals. If I really want to be critical here: I've gotten to behold custom Axis 1 stuff, it was incredibly unimpressive (the knee stack was floppier than the guy's previous Subzero 3 pads, it had almost no integrity) and the broken in glove was still stiff. The custom EF3, EF4, and EF5 were all measurably better, gloves still super stiff after being well broken in and the blocker palms rather worn/pilled. I don't really understand how they're still chugging along beyond brand recognition at this stage; CCM lost nearly every NHL goalie they had when the Lefevre team left (Markstrom, Rittich, Demko, Skinner). Something isn't right here.

I do think it's a joke that goalies in the CHL have to adhere to one of three brands due to deals with the league, specifically because it's during incredibly formative years for them. 

TL;DR Their pads are fine enough, their catch gloves are absolute dogshit and I think they're only skirting by because they can throw their marketing weight around. I don't get off on a company failing, I'm baffled that their catchers are truly this bad; I shouldn't be laughing as a gut reaction to trying one on in a store.

Both CCM and (at least older) Lefevre gloves suck. I've tried them on in stores. By contrast, I was able to close the Bauer Reactor 3 the first time I used it, even though it was stiff. Granted, it's an old glove, but it says something if a glove from 2010 does better than a 2015 glove, or even a 2019 one out of the box.

I'll have to see what newer Bauer, Vaughn, or Warrior gloves out there. It's a shame, but Brian's stuff is above my budget, even with Sideline Swap. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

Both CCM and (at least older) Lefevre gloves suck. I've tried them on in stores. By contrast, I was able to close the Bauer Reactor 3 the first time I used it, even though it was stiff. Granted, it's an old glove, but it says something if a glove from 2010 does better than a 2015 glove, or even a 2019 one out of the box.

I'll have to see what newer Bauer, Vaughn, or Warrior gloves out there. It's a shame, but Brian's stuff is above my budget, even with Sideline Swap. 

I've found recent Bauer and Warrior gloves are really good off the shelf (I've found Warrior to be the sleeper best stock glove), Vaughn always take a little work but are consistent and do exactly as expected (as in if you liked Vaughn ever, you still will).