What Areas Do You Feel You Are Exposed To Possible Skate Lacerations?

cutshield hockey

Hey guys,

Straight up, I played forward. I started the cut resistant category in hockey 12 years ago and have saved over 35 NHL players in my gear. I have my protection in every NHL dressing room and have had some of the biggest names in the game in my protective socks including many goalies. I am working on gear for goalies but need feedback as to what you guys need. I had the pleasure of meeting Price and he said he had a close call smothering the puck with his catching glove when he was down and extended. Chest pad rode up and left wrist exposed. Our wrist guards do the job for that situation but I wonder about the back of legs or top of skate boot area or  ? You guys are the warriors and I want to understand what you need and would like to see. By the way, my gear is NOT Kevlar. Kevlar can be as cut resistant as a pair of jeans and it does not do well with moisture. Appreciate any feedback. 

AIR 2.jpeg

Do you use dyneema? 

I have worn the same dyneema lined hockey socks that I wore as a forward; that being said, I feel exposed on my legs. I would love a pair of tights that would give protection from ankle to groin. Ever since I saw the kid get a dangerous wound in the femoral artery a few years back, it gave me some pause.

• Like 1

Hey Bunnyman666,

This helps me. Thanks. Do you know the Redmond story from a number of years ago? Defenseman with Jets. Fell during morning skate and interior artery in inner thigh was lacerated. The medical team from Hurricanes and Jets saved his life. The Jets had me design short briefs with cut resistant material in the inner thigh. 

shorts.jpeg

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, cutshield hockey said:

Hey Bunnyman666,

This helps me. Thanks. Do you know the Redmond story from a number of years ago? Defenseman with Jets. Fell during morning skate and interior artery in inner thigh was lacerated. The medical team from Hurricanes and Jets saved his life. The Jets had me design short briefs with cut resistant material in the inner thigh. 

shorts.jpeg

Yes I do. 

There was a junior goalie who also had a skate laceration as well. Scary stuff.

• Like 1

We do not use Dyneema. Dyneema on its own is not a high cut level. The socks put pic up of, are a level A4 almost a level 5. I have other models, all worn in the NHL that are a level A3. The level 4 are the most comfortable performance sock on the market. We do not use any metal or glass in the yarn and this is unheard of. Our level 3 uses fibreglass. Thanks for responding. 

@cutshield hockey aside from the socks - I'd second the suggestion for cut resistant tights. You also already covered the wrist area which would be another potential concern. The only other item I can think of that wasn't covered would be cut resistant/impact resistant neck guards (though there are a few offerings by others in that realm).

Hope that's helpful. Good luck in whatever endeavors you undertake - thanks for reaching out to the beer leaguers.

Edited by chile57
  • Like 1

Hey chile57,

Thanks for that. The NHL is my testing ground :) It is the lower leagues I am passionate about protecting. Seen too many bad beer / rec hockey injuries. My last head injury was in non contact beer league so I get how crap happens. Changed my life unfortunately. I am working on a neck guard. high cut level. Not just ballistic nylon and foam or Kevlar like others. The wrist I have covered with the wrist guards. Have leg tubes for as well but will work on a underwear. Thanks for the feedback. This helps. Beer, rec, NHL...we are all hockey players who just want to play and be protected :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cutshield hockey said:

Hey chile57,

Thanks for that. The NHL is my testing ground :) It is the lower leagues I am passionate about protecting. Seen too many bad beer / rec hockey injuries. My last head injury was in non contact beer league so I get how crap happens. Changed my life unfortunately. I am working on a neck guard. high cut level. Not just ballistic nylon and foam or Kevlar like others. The wrist I have covered with the wrist guards. Have leg tubes for as well but will work on a underwear. Thanks for the feedback. This helps. Beer, rec, NHL...we are all hockey players who just want to play and be protected :)

We don’t have medics on the benches, so we really need protection!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cutshield hockey said:

Hey Bunnyman666,

shorts.jpeg

Frankly, something like this that runs from my groin to my knee would make me feel pretty safe. An option that goes groin to knee, and then knee to ankle (to cover the Achilles), would also be nice.

• Like 2

Echoing the same feedback as others. I would personally be most concerned about the Achilles and back of the knee.

Only thing I would really say for a full undergarment would be to have it with padded knees, right above the knee, and inner thigh like some of the other offerings (like the Vaughn or Bauer). That extra padding really helps.

What does A3 and A4 mean?

Edited by keeperton

Picked up one of these at an NHL equipment sale. Liked that it has cut-resistant material on the inside of the thighs in addition to the back of the leg. Never heard of this Base360 brand and didn't know what material is used so I don't know how effective it is. But in terms of coverage, I think it is pretty solid at covering vulnerable spots. Add on a cut-resistant skate sock and you should be safe down low.

PremierPant.thumb.png.2add523da315bc3e6b99a48840834dd1.png

Edited by ZeroGravitas
  • Like 1

https://www.oneiric.ca/pages/genesis

These are the leggings I've been using for a bit now. They only offer cut resistant areas in the ankle/achilles area, but offer some padding on the back.

While the padding on the back isn't necessary, a version like this with the grip and sock holders on the front, as well as additional cut protection in the groin area would be a great mashup of existing models as well as providing extra protection in an area where it's sorely needed.

4 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

https://www.oneiric.ca/pages/genesis

These are the leggings I've been using for a bit now. They only offer cut resistant areas in the ankle/achilles area, but offer some padding on the back.

While the padding on the back isn't necessary, a version like this with the grip and sock holders on the front, as well as additional cut protection in the groin area would be a great mashup of existing models as well as providing extra protection in an area where it's sorely needed.

Is there a pocket for a player cup in those?

We need full coverage of the upper leg front and back and groin as high as possible. We had a close call last month. A player ran over my son during a practice and a skate blade found it's way inside his pant inside the leg. We were wearing Daredevils pants and the skate hit the groin area about half an inch below where the protection stopped. He got cut a bit through the protection. I cannot imagine what could have been if the cut has been half an inch higher,

So i went and bought a pair of those Sync pants. They are good but I wish they were less expensive. I would also like if they would run a bit lower on the lower leg so there would be no gap between them and his cut resistant socks.

https://www.syncperformance.com/products/cut-resistant-base-layer?variant=32099587981374IMG_20211105_200918041.thumb.jpg.30f9e5a2680914201cff82b247b65a78.jpg