Switch to Full Right

ilyazhito

I am a regular goalie who has been thinking about switching to full right. I hope I'm not as insane as a goalie playing without a mask. 

As it stands, I currently make more reflex saves with my blocker than my trapper. Is this normal for a goalie? My other reason for going full right is that stickhandling and shooting might be easier if my right hand would be on the bottom of my stick and my stick would have a right-handed curve. This will allow me to generate more power on my clearing passes and/or shots. 

Have any of you went left blocker after starting right blocker? What was the experience like? 

As an ambidextrous but right hand dominant person, I was told in no uncertain terms that unless you throw with your left hand and are otherwise left hand dominant, you’re better off to be regular hand goalie. That being said- there have been success stories of right hand dominant goalies playing full right.

Another factor: Full right gear has a very low resale value, just like left hand guitars.

• Like 1

My two cents....stick with what you are. Switching dominant hands for puck handling purposes is a major change for an element of the game that although is an important part of your game but represents maybe 15 to 20 % of the job. If your blocker side is stronger/better than your glove side, work on your glove side rather than completely redo your entire game. But if you're young enough and really want to try it, give it a shot. Like Bunny says, though, sticks and gloves are going to be an issue in general and particularly at this time.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ilyazhito said:

Interesting. I'm right hand dominant, but ambidextrous. I'm wondering how to find low cost full right gear to borrow to see if full right is, no pun intended, right for me. 

Best suggestion on that is a used sporting goods store. My gloves are the Passau 60 and blocker. I dont know that you want to wait for them to be made and drop almost a $1000 US for an experiment. It will be a big issue getting gloves and sticks. Even before the supply chain problems, I'd go to a Total Hockey store and there were maybe 2 senior level catching gloves and maybe one blocker. Sticks?...good luck getting one from a store and again before supply chain issues, at best they 4 or 5 in the store. Your choices are really limited.

7 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

As an ambidextrous but right hand dominant person, I was told in no uncertain terms that unless you throw with your left hand and are otherwise left hand dominant, you’re better off to be regular hand goalie. That being said- there have been success stories of right hand dominant goalies playing full right.

Another factor: Full right gear has a very low resale value, just like left hand guitars.

Low resale value if you can find it😂 I had to start custom ordering gloves when I was 12 so I could get the right stuff

8 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

Interesting. I'm right hand dominant, but ambidextrous. I'm wondering how to find low cost full right gear to borrow to see if full right is, no pun intended, right for me. 

23 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

I am a regular goalie who has been thinking about switching to full right. I hope I'm not as insane as a goalie playing without a mask. 

As it stands, I currently make more reflex saves with my blocker than my trapper. Is this normal for a goalie? My other reason for going full right is that stickhandling and shooting might be easier if my right hand would be on the bottom of my stick and my stick would have a right-handed curve. This will allow me to generate more power on my clearing passes and/or shots. 

Have any of you went left blocker after starting right blocker? What was the experience like? 

I think every goalie at some point or another has entertained the idea of switching handedness, so no you're not crazy

HOWEVER

If you really are RH dominant, I would suggest you stay as a LH catch.  It is more important to have your dominant hand at the top of your stick as that enables your fine motor control.  You can learn to flex the stick pretty easily by learning the overhand/Turco grip

I'm RH dominant but was a RH shot playing out growing up because I first played street hockey RH and that just carried over.  When I switched to goalie I played LH catch because that felt most natural.  I can actually shoot LH harder and more accurately now than I ever could RH.

16 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

If stickhandling is the number 1 concern, look up YouTube videos of Cujo playing the puck.   He flipped his stick over and shot backhand.   He was able to generate a surprising amount of oomph on his clearing passes playing that way.

I only saw him doing that once, and I wasn't sure how he did it. I've also practiced with the Turco grip. That said, I'll do some experimenting with full right in ball hockey or pickup, and see which approach works better. 

17 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

If stickhandling is the number 1 concern, look up YouTube videos of Cujo playing the puck.   He flipped his stick over and shot backhand.   He was able to generate a surprising amount of oomph on his clearing passes playing that way.

Jon Casey and Mike Liut would also do that, which is why I ask the following question: why isn’t a no curve stick an option?

I'm also curious to find that out. A no curve stick would be perfect for the ambidextrous goalie, and would be helpful for both making saves and passing. With a no-curve stick, I could shoot right handed with the trapper on top as a regular goalie without losing passing and save ability, shoot left-handed with the trapper on bottom, or shoot full right with the trapper on bottom to the same effect. I could also shoot lefty as a full right if I wanted to, but the main point is that a no-curve stick gives goalies way more options.

I've historically either played the puck one handed or had to rotate my body around the stick to shoot left handed. I've tried backhand shooting and flipping the stick, and have found that flipping works if I have time. However, in game situations, I've only been able to do the one-handed pass to a teammate or else the backhand. Full right would open up the forehand shot as an option for pucks that are dumped in from the right. 

• 4 weeks later...

Update: I've had a few lessons as a full right goalie, and played a ball hockey pickup game yesterday. It definitely is easier to play dump-ins full right than it was regular. My body is still adjusting to carrying the stick in the other hand, but overall I haven't found it more difficult to make saves full right than it was regular. I'll have to see how I do in actual gameplay playing full right. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

Update: I've had a few lessons as a full right goalie, and played a ball hockey pickup game yesterday. It definitely is easier to play dump-ins full right than it was regular. My body is still adjusting to carrying the stick in the other hand, but overall I haven't found it more difficult to make saves full right than it was regular. I'll have to see how I do in actual gameplay playing full right. 

Cool. I just bought a set of full right gloves from Sideline Swap to try the same thing. They're Vaughn Velocity 7700 which is what my regular gloves are! They're not red, though. That would have been too perfect. Next I bought a Warrior STR2 RH stick from The Hockey Shop, again to match my regular stick.

Unfortunately my season ends in a couple of weeks but hopefully I'll get a couple of games in before that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...