LOOOOOVE the Sabres WC unis!

bunnyman666

The product on the ice n these games is always lacking.  It's a novelty event imo.  Teams rolls out different jerseys, goalies different gear and masks.  There's  75 pointless back stories about every player. I always watch for a while then get bored/annoyed with the 16 different camera angles that they are jumping to. 

33 minutes ago, Mike24 said:

The product on the ice n these games is always lacking.  It's a novelty event imo.  Teams rolls out different jerseys, goalies different gear and masks.  There's  75 pointless back stories about every player. I always watch for a while then get bored/annoyed with the 16 different camera angles that they are jumping to. 

Agreed. It helps if there’s a compelling matchup as well. But too many reasons for me to not bother watching. 

The winter classic is a microcosm of why I don’t watch NHL coverage. The event is drenched in pollyanna and cheer leading. “Everything’s great! Isn’t everything great?!” I want objective coverage. I want the good AND the bad. If a player is in trouble off the ice, I want to know about it. If a franchise is in economic trouble, I want to know about it. All NHL coverage by NBCSN and the NHL network is sugarcoated and everyone is happy to sweep any controversy under the rug. They want us to believe the illusion that everything is wonderful in all the world of NHL hockey. 

Also, how many times can you ask a player, “Isn’t this what it’s all about?” at an outdoor game. I’d love it if once a player with an actual personality, something many NHL players are devoid of, actually said, “No, I’m freezing my f$&@ing ass off. Can we go back inside?”

@WillyGrips13 - I have ATT cable here in the states. The cable package breakdown is silly and my bill would double to get NHL Network every month. I cave every year at this time for 1 month and get it for the WJC... 

I don’t know if this special is new or old? But they talk about the first Winter Classic and how it came to be... I felt that is was very honest. NHL basically admitted they needed a holiday spectacle in their attempt to win over casual fans (soccer moms they’re never getting anyway)... I think that the players probably respect the PR aspect of the game and don’t hate it too much.  

I also think they are still great for the local market. They might be played out on a national stage if your team is not playing or people are sick of the Hawks... but if Nashville played Dallas in a stadium series game, the locals would go Bananas 

I can’t watch NBCSN games regardless. Terrible coverage. Horrible play by play and a mediocre panel. 

@TheGoalNet your last paragraph is summing up what I’ve said a couple times recently. I need a compelling matchup to care about an outdoor game. Nashville and Dallas would make for a great event for locals but I sure wouldn’t go out of my way to watch it. I guess that was meant to be the point of the stadium series games - the local markets. 

For a Winter Classic I want relevant teams. That is, teams where the matchup is interesting for those outside the two fan bases. An event where the entire league is watching. 

Maybe a one-game outdoor rematch of the previous Stanley Cup finals would be a way to ensure marquee matchups (of course there would also be the odd flash in the pan teams like New Jersey or the Rangers who over-achieved, went on a run,  and then were thoroughly pummeled in the finals, but a majority of the time that wouldn’t be the case).

Maybe a neutral site with the two conference leaders would be interesting though it’d be a logistical mess. 

Regardless, if they want the winter classic to continue they need to give fans a reason to bother watching.

On 1/2/2018 at 12:32 AM, IPv6Freely said:

I can’t watch NBCSN games regardless. Terrible coverage. Horrible play by play and a mediocre panel. 

I get so angry with NBSCN. I know random people who give better thoughts and "hot takes". I like how Jones/Milbury/Olczyk/Roenick/all the other rubes watch nothing but NHL games, yet still have virtually no clue as to how the modern game works. You'd figured they'd research a bit more, especially about why goalies don't just stand up on every shot. Then again, Jones and Milbury have sauropod brains. I remember watching Jones tear into Radulov a few years back for no reason other than he's a European/Russian. Less of these dopes, more guys like Ray Ferraro who know what they're talking about and acknowledge analytics and stats.

Also: Don't even get me started on that glasses-wearing, phallic cranium'd dunderhead with his useless apropos. These are player facts that anyone who has read HockeyDB or Wikipedia would know. It's either that or some guy will score a big goal and get the following: "What a goal for Ted Smith from Frogballs, Arkansas! What a moment this must be for all those people back in Frogballs!". As if 95% of the people in these places care some obscure third-liner scored a game-tying goal.

Also, also: Is it not kosher to say Doc Emrick is not as good as everyone hypes him to be? I'm not a Rangers fan, but Sam Rosen has always been one of my favorite play-by-play guys. NBCSN should have him and Daryl Reaugh do games. 

3 minutes ago, Moose75 said:

I get so angry with NBSCN. I know random people who give better thoughts and "hot takes". I like how Jones/Milbury/Olczyk/Roenick/all the other rubes watch nothing but NHL games, yet still have virtually no clue as to how the modern game works. You'd figured they'd research a bit more, especially about why goalies don't just stand up on every shot. Then again, Jones and Milbury have sauropod brains. I remember watching Jones tear into Radulov a few years back for no reason other than he's a European/Russian. Less of these dopes, more guys like Ray Ferraro who know what they're talking about and acknowledge analytics and stats.

Also: Don't even get me started on that glasses-wearing, phallic cranium'd dunderhead with his useless apropos. These are player facts that anyone who has read HockeyDB or Wikipedia would know. It's either that or some guy will score a big goal and get the following: "What a goal for Ted Smith from Frogballs, Arkansas! What a moment this must be for all those people back in Frogballs!". As if 95% of the people in these places care some obscure third-liner scored a game-tying goal.

Also, also: Is it not kosher to say Doc Emrick is not as good as everyone hypes him to be? I'm not a Rangers fan, but Dan Rosen has always been one of my favorite play-by-play guys. NBCSN should have him and Daryl Reaugh do games. 

Emrick is terrible.

Archived