True/Lefevre 20.2 Living Review

Chenner29

The sizing is/was the biggest concern for me going from the 20.1 to 20.2. I am also just over 19.5” floor to knee. I’m in a 33+1 20.1 but a 32+2 would fit better. I spec’d out a 32+2 20.2 not knowing about the boot change and have been kind of panicking worrying I sized them too small. Your review and the fact that True’s sizing chart for the 12.2 says 19.5 = 32 make me feel more confident they’ll fit me when they get here, hopefully in the next couple weeks. 

19 hours ago, Puremetal33 said:

The sizing is/was the biggest concern for me going from the 20.1 to 20.2. I am also just over 19.5” floor to knee. I’m in a 33+1 20.1 but a 32+2 would fit better. I spec’d out a 32+2 20.2 not knowing about the boot change and have been kind of panicking worrying I sized them too small. Your review and the fact that True’s sizing chart for the 12.2 says 19.5 = 32 make me feel more confident they’ll fit me when they get here, hopefully in the next couple weeks. 

Yeah, if anything I prefer the fit on the 32 over the 33.  You can really feel the boot flex with the shorter pad. 

Would love to compare notes when you get them/skate in them

17 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Yeah, if anything I prefer the fit on the 32 over the 33.  You can really feel the boot flex with the shorter pad. 

Would love to compare notes when you get them/skate in them

Definitely! I’m an intermediate beer league goalie so I might not be able to get as much out of the pad as someone more skilled, but the 20.1 was a game changer for me so I’m excited to see what’s improved on the 20.2

6 hours ago, Puremetal33 said:

Definitely! I’m an intermediate beer league goalie so I might not be able to get as much out of the pad as someone more skilled, but the 20.1 was a game changer for me so I’m excited to see what’s improved on the 20.2

What did you spec on your order form?

7 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

What did you spec on your order form?

I went with the following:

Pads:

32+2

Stiff single break core

Regular boot angle

Flex boot

Elastic strap 2" below knee

Recessed knee

Hybrid Bungee Lace

No boot strap

Glove:

Game Ready Palm

Blocker:

585 w/ binding

1/2 cuff

Centered palm

Nash palm

I'm coming from a bone stock 33+1 Lefebvre L20.1 pad, Pro stock L12.1 catch, Hyperlite blocker.

Edited by Puremetal33

11 hours ago, Puremetal33 said:

I went with the following:

Pads:

32+2

Stiff single break core

Regular boot angle

Flex boot

Elastic strap 2" below knee

Recessed knee

Hybrid Bungee Lace

No boot strap

Glove:

Game Ready Palm

Blocker:

585 w/ binding

1/2 cuff

Centered palm

Nash palm

I'm coming from a bone stock 33+1 Lefebvre L20.1 pad, Pro stock L12.1 catch, Hyperlite blocker.

our specs are like 90% the same lol

Just got word that my set arrived at BTM in Scottsdale today. Should get to me in SoCal Monday/Tuesday next week. Monday would be exactly 33 weeks since I ordered. 

The only bummer about that, they were supposed to drop ship to me directly. Had they done that they would’ve likely arrived here today rather than the BTM store. It’s already been 8 months, what’s a couple more days right? 

Will add a pic if they post one to their social before they ship out to me. 

39 minutes ago, Puremetal33 said:

Just got word that my set arrived at BTM in Scottsdale today. Should get to me in SoCal Monday/Tuesday next week. Monday would be exactly 33 weeks since I ordered. 

The only bummer about that, they were supposed to drop ship to me directly. Had they done that they would’ve likely arrived here today rather than the BTM store. It’s already been 8 months, what’s a couple more days right? 

Will add a pic if they post one to their social before they ship out to me. 

wtf where do you play at?  I'm usually at GP Irvine

Edit, and wait - if you ordered 8 months ago, how did you get to order 20.2?  Did you change it while waiting?

32 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

wtf where do you play at?  I'm usually at GP Irvine

Edit, and wait - if you ordered 8 months ago, how did you get to order 20.2?  Did you change it while waiting?

I play at Poway Ice here in SD mostly. Occasionally at the other local rinks. Played at TSC, Valencia and Pano when I lived in LA. Haven’t played at GP yet but heard it’s an amazing facility. 

That’s spot on. I ordered 12.2 originally before I’d gotten my hands on my current 20.1s. Loved those so much out of the box that I called the dealer and asked them if I could re-spec since the wait was gonna be months more. they were cool enough to do it for me and the 20.2 customizer was available at the time. The 12.2 I had spec’d out would’ve played pretty similar anyway I think but I wanted the 20.2

I’m heading to get them on the ice shortly here so just pics for now but the set has arrived. 

So, first impressions. The stiffer knee block definitely feels like it gets the pad down faster. Like the updated leg channel and the soft boot a lot. Good rebound velocity. Ice seal/slide rules. 

Sizing wise.. These fit fine but I kind of think a 33 would’ve been better. 32 is their recommended size for a 19-19.5 FTK and Im 19.5-20. My knee is still in a pretty good spot on the block. The boot shape definitely effects how the pad sits on the skate. Might test them with a boot riser and see what the difference is. 

Blocker feels perfect out of the box. I went with the 585 with binding since I prefer the way that blocker balances for me. The bindingless blocker feels almost bottom heavy to me. 

Glove needs breakin work, gonna bake it over the weekend. 580 double T is the bees knees for me. Pocket is massive. 

Getting the set in an actual game Sunday. Will see how that experience goes but I feel confident in the new stuff already 

8C9170F6-D5E9-4F65-8BEF-646BAE5FCF49.jpeg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Puremetal33 said:

I’m heading to get them on the ice shortly here so just pics for now but the set has arrived. 

So, first impressions. The stiffer knee block definitely feels like it gets the pad down faster. Like the updated leg channel and the soft boot a lot. Good rebound velocity. Ice seal/slide rules. 

Sizing wise.. These fit fine but I kind of think a 33 would’ve been better. 32 is their recommended size for a 19-19.5 FTK and Im 19.5-20. My knee is still in a pretty good spot on the block. The boot shape definitely effects how the pad sits on the skate. Might test them with a boot riser and see what the difference is. 

Blocker feels perfect out of the box. I went with the 585 with binding since I prefer the way that blocker balances for me. The bindingless blocker feels almost bottom heavy to me. 

Glove needs breakin work, gonna bake it over the weekend. 580 double T is the bees knees for me. Pocket is massive. 

Getting the set in an actual game Sunday. Will see how that experience goes but I feel confident in the new stuff already 

Beauty set.

I think you may change your opinion on sizing after your skate.

I love the seal on these things as well, it feels like one less thing to manage!

Chenner…

Solved the issues on my 20.1. Dennis from Factory Mad made me a rigid nylon Velcro strap to replace the elastic knee block stock strap. Increased stability with the floppy knee block, keeps the pad face from leaning forward or flopping down in a slide and eliminates the boot break gap

Sliding and responsiveness improved drastically. $20 for the straps. I highly recommend this mod or ordering the behind the knee leather strap. Awesome customer service from Dennis

• Like 1

Just placed an order for 20.2s through goaliemonkey yesterday, went with 32+2.5 to get a little closer to the 33+2s I'm in now.  A little nervous to go with a 32" base since I've been wearing 33" for so many years but we'll see how it goes.

Out of curiosity, why are True pads and the CCM Axis pads sized bigger than normal (someone who normally wears a 34 should wear a 33 in True or Axis)? Is there a performance advantage to having the pads run big?

This would also be unfair to the shorter adult goalie, because someone who would normally wear 32s (the smallest stock senior size available) would be forced to wear an intermediate pad, just to have something that fits, and protection on intermediate pads is worse than for senior pads. 

2 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

Out of curiosity, why are True pads and the CCM Axis pads sized bigger than normal .....

u cant pleased everyone, bc everyone has diff proportions just like sometime u fit in a med shirt and sometime u fit in a small or large.  best is to get it custom made sizing.

I was asking about it from a design perspective. Was there a reason to make the pads one actual size bigger than their stated size? It would confuse some buyers.

I don't deny that True pads look good and probably play well. However, with the long wait times, if I do go custom, I'll choose another company. 

About to order some but +2.5 seems excessive.  My last 2 pads were Optik 2 33+1.5 and Hyperlite M.  I think 33+2.5 or +2 but can't completely tell.  I want something a little taller than the Bauer M.  Optik 2 were nearly perfect.  Does anyone have any perspective on the size translations?

3 hours ago, agrare said:

I'm assuming it is to accommodate NHL size limitations, by changing the build of the pad it can fit bigger while maintaining the same technical size in inches of the pad.

This is interesting. As far as I know, the other manufacturers have not done this. If I were to order a 34" Brian's or Vaughn pad, it would be the usual 34" pad, maybe with a different thigh rise size, depending on the manufacturer. 

6 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

About to order some but +2.5 seems excessive.  My last 2 pads were Optik 2 33+1.5 and Hyperlite M.  I think 33+2.5 or +2 but can't completely tell.  I want something a little taller than the Bauer M.  Optik 2 were nearly perfect.  Does anyone have any perspective on the size translations?

Very simple solution

Using a cloth tape measure - measure from the center of the knee on your current pads to the top of the thigh rise.  Make sure the tape measure is flat against the pad.

Compare that with the + sizing below

image.png.6d2b2d1ebb538483d4de5103021afb7e.png