True/Lefevre 20.2 Living Review

Chenner29

9 hours ago, agrare said:

I'm assuming it is to accommodate NHL size limitations, by changing the build of the pad it can fit bigger while maintaining the same technical size in inches of the pad.

No, Kay Whitmore has a universal pad sizing tool in his office to accommodate for manufacturer sizing discrepancies

Ok so I measured my Senior small HyperLite, the knee to top is 11”, I am ordering 32+1.5” L87. However I’m looking to down size in the thigh rise a bit as my pads often hit each other. I’m confused though because I saw this picture on here of a Bauer thigh rise vs 1.5 true. Will a 1.5” true thigh rose be smaller than Bauer?

6A8F3F19-ABB4-46C2-8079-72F7B75C955F.jpeg

Edited by Peter36

14 minutes ago, Peter36 said:

Ok so I measured my Senior small HyperLite, the knee to top is 11”, I am ordering 32+1.5” L87. However I’m looking to down size in the thigh rise a bit as my pads often hit each other. I’m confused though because I saw this picture on here of a Bauer thigh rise vs 1.5 true. Will a 1.5” true thigh rose be smaller than Bauer?

Well that's annoying. My 33+2 V9s are ~11.25" from the middle of the knee block to the top of the pad. I would've figured I'd have gone 32+1.5 in True as well, but from the looks of that I'd end up with a thigh rise that is WAY shorter.

8 hours ago, Peter36 said:

IMO

You're gonna have to get your retailer to earn their markup on this question

I believe that picture is a 20.1 next to a 2x

44 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

IMO

You're gonna have to get your retailer to earn their markup on this question

I believe that picture is a 20.1 next to a 2x

Response from retailer:

I cannot confirm sizing. That is your call solely and we are not responsible for any issue with sizing once placed”

52 minutes ago, Peter36 said:

Response from retailer:

I cannot confirm sizing. That is your call solely and we are not responsible for any issue with sizing once placed”

Goalies Plus wasn't one of the early Lefevre retailers so I'm sure they haven't seen as many sets comes through as others, but Mike should be able to help you in some fashion. That response is pretty inexcusable.  

I might try calling Cam at the Hockey Shop or someone else who's experienced with True gear, explain your situation and apologize you won't be spending any money with them (this time), but that you need help making the right decision on sizing. 

Edited by AdamL
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Peter36 said:

Response from retailer:

That is a pretty shitty response from your retailer IMO, who did you order through?

If it helps, my 32+2.5 20.1s lined up pretty much 1 for 1 in all the key areas compared to @ZeroGravitas's size Small Hyperlites

20.2 shrunk the boot by about half an inch though so this may complicate things

46 minutes ago, AdamL said:

Goalies Plus wasn't one of the early Lefevre retailers so I'm sure they haven't seen as many sets comes through as others, but Mike should be able to help you in some fashion. That response is pretty inexcusable.  

I might try calling Cam at the Hockey Shop or someone else who's experienced with True gear, explain your situation and apologize you won't be spending any money with them (this time), but that you need help making the right decision on sizing. 

Bang on

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

That is a pretty shitty response from your retailer IMO, who did you order through?

If it helps, my 32+2.5 20.1s lined up pretty much 1 for 1 in all the key areas compared to @ZeroGravitas's size Small Hyperlites

20.2 shrunk the boot by about half an inch though so this may complicate things

Bang on

Thanks for the response, glad to hear the two are very similar, and I ordered 1” less than that on the thigh rise so hopefully it will be fitting just like I want it. 

Edited by Peter36

55 minutes ago, Peter36 said:

Thanks for the response, glad to hear the two are very similar, and I ordered 1” less than that on the thigh rise so hopefully it will be fitting just like I want it. 
Ordered through goaliesplus

Call and ask for Mike, he's a good dude and should help you out
I used to work for him

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is an interesting video as it relates to sizing the 20.2s.  OP went down to 32s from 33s, but based on this videos it looks like one might actually want to size up with the 20.2s?  What they only briefly cover, though, is the effect the scoop and depth of the boot has on sizing.  

As it relates to my own pads (33+2 V9s), I wonder if the reason they may appear to be bigger is because the boot isn't as flat on the bottom and comes come farther over the skate?  No idea.  They definitely are a little bigger than I expected (5'10" with a FTK of 19.75").

1 hour ago, AdamL said:

This is an interesting video as it relates to sizing the 20.2s.  OP went down to 32s from 33s, but based on this videos it looks like one might actually want to size up with the 20.2s?  What they only briefly cover, though, is the effect the scoop and depth of the boot has on sizing.  

As it relates to my own pads (33+2 V9s), I wonder if the reason they may appear to be bigger is because the boot isn't as flat on the bottom and comes come farther over the skate?  No idea.  They definitely are a little bigger than I expected (5'10" with a FTK of 19.75").

Not entirely correct.

I sized down in 20.1 from 33" to 32".  I stuck with 32" on 20.2 and actually prefer it.  FTK a little more than 19.5

10 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Not entirely correct.

I sized down in 20.1 from 33" to 32".  I stuck with 32" on 20.2 and actually prefer it.  FTK a little more than 19.5

That's what I meant, if not well articulated.  It's just that the video from InGoal would suggest sizing up relative to other brands, rather than down.  I think most with just over a 19.5" FTK measurement would probably wear a 33" E-Flex, for example.  We're about the same size and that's what I wear, anyway.

Don't mind me, I just found their comments re: the 20.2 surprising.

Interesting. I thought that True pads would continue to be a little big compared to others. Now, it seems that it's not the case, at least not according to the video from the InGoal Magazine YouTube channel. Maybe that means I might be able to get a pair of True 34" pads in a later year. 

Would've been nice to see a comparison with using some sort of leg-skate setup to proof the boot riser etc. Sure there would still be a margin of error but now only putting the pads on a flat surface to show how the height of two pads equal. Not comparing how they differ when set on top of skates.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ArdeFIN said:

Would've been nice to see a comparison with using some sort of leg-skate setup to proof the boot riser etc. Sure there would still be a margin of error but now only putting the pads on a flat surface to show how the height of two pads equal. Not comparing how they differ when set on top of skates.

That is my thought as well.  Putting each pad on a bench doesn't necessarily reflect how the pad will sit on your skate.  The flatter the boot, the lower your skate will be in the scoop, effectively making the pad fit bigger.  Given the V9 boot is deeper than most others on the market these days, that's at least my hypothesis as to why the knee stack on the V9 appears taller than the others.  Conversely the 20.2 probably has a flatter boot than all or most of the others, making the knee stack appear lower than it would actually fit.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

As someone that's spent most of their life in Vaughns (ending with the V7s), but then wanted to move to a stiffer pad and is currently in a pair of Eflex 6 max rebound, I've now got a taste for it and am interested in going even further in that direction. I love the ccms but they do sometimes have more torsional flex than I'd like. I'm considering a pair of 20.2s and wondered if anyone has gone through a similar progression of pads and what they liked or didn't liked going from Eflex to True. 

Appreciate any feedback!

4 hours ago, froese said:

As someone that's spent most of their life in Vaughns (ending with the V7s), but then wanted to move to a stiffer pad and is currently in a pair of Eflex 6 max rebound, I've now got a taste for it and am interested in going even further in that direction. I love the ccms but they do sometimes have more torsional flex than I'd like. I'm considering a pair of 20.2s and wondered if anyone has gone through a similar progression of pads and what they liked or didn't liked going from Eflex to True. 

Appreciate any feedback!

Imo just get a px3. Has one of the stiffest thighs on the market but will still feel familiar to you.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Toobs said:

Imo just get a px3. Has one of the stiffest thighs on the market but will still feel familiar to you.

Other than the thinned out thigh rise and the knee rolls, they're pretty similar aren't they? Have you tried both the px3s and the 20.2s?

1 hour ago, Toobs said:

1 hour ago, froese said:

Other than the thinned out thigh rise and the knee rolls, they're pretty similar aren't they? Have you tried both the px3s and the 20.2s?

Having owned both, I like the Px3s much more.  The composite thigh is really stiff but can curve and shape a little bit.

1 hour ago, froese said:

I’ve used both, the PX3s are a much better pad imo. Just feels better on the leg and feels more responsive.

6 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Having owned both, I like the Px3s much more.  The composite thigh is really stiff but can curve and shape a little bit.

1 minute ago, Toobs said:

I’ve used both, the PX3s are a much better pad imo. Just feels better on the leg and feels more responsive.

Thanks guys, appreciate the info. In addition to the newer composite internals, does the px3 have a shorter boot as well?

38 minutes ago, froese said:

Thanks guys, appreciate the info. In addition to the newer composite internals, does the px3 have a shorter boot as well?

Shorter boot compared to what? It’s got a very flat boot but trues boot length has been pretty consistent across models.