Scary Collision

seagoal

So this happened last week in my 40+ league.  Very late in the 3rd period, we were up 5-0.  This guy gets a breakaway and gained the zone to my right of center.  His path is quite clearly through the crease, which I am in 100% after my initial retreat backwards.  You'll notice his head is down, as did I, so I poke checked the puck and got it, you can see it go left in the video.  100% puck contact with the poke, but he had already turned to go through the crease/me by that point.  He kinda gave a little umph at contact too.  He hit me so hard my trapper flew off and my stick went flying.  

I was pretty stunned for about 5 minutes.  No penalty on the play.  They ended up scoring a minute or so later, breaking my shutout and we won 5-1.  

This league has a safety committee with captains and other players-at-large.  Apparently, this guy is a repeat offender and currently on probation for running goalies, which mean he will likely be expelled from the league.  

I'm definitely sore in the shoulder/neck area, but I don't think I'm injured.  I'm taking a prescription ibuprofin type drug that I keep on hand as well as a prescription topical pain relief ointment and a cbd topical cream.  Feeling ok, just feeling kinda grumpy about the whole thing.

My captain submitted this clip with a claim to the safety committee and honestly, when I watched the video, it made me nauseous.

Good times.  

P.S. This is the Kraken's official practice rink AND my new Rinne helmet is undefeated at 3-0-1 in official league play on my 2 teams :)

Edited by seagoal

7 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Like I told you last night, I'm still wondering why you thought that taking out his knees with your face was a good idea? ;)

You can definitely see him lean into you as he goes down to ensure he got a piece of you.

Looks that way to me, too.  There was some intention once he was in the crease.

2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Why do you consistently avoid answering why you tackled him with your face? 🤔

Maybe you WANTED to get hit? Clearly this is all your fault.

I was hoping he'd crack my brand new helmet so I can get ANOTHER one painted because, why not?  So I was like: here is my chance. His head is down, he's got some speed, he crossing me perpendicular, perfect.  But how can I make this look legit?  Poke check, boom. 

It all worked, except my helmet is not cracked.

;)

7 minutes ago, seagoal said:

I was hoping he'd crack my brand new helmet so I can get ANOTHER one painted because, why not?  So I was like: here is my chance. His head is down, he's got some speed, he crossing me perpendicular, perfect.  But how can I make this look legit?  Poke check, boom. 

It all worked, except my helmet is not cracked.

;)

If you wanted someone to crack you alongside the skull, all you had to do was ask.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Sorry to see/hear this happened to you.  Hope you are ok.

I've noticed that this sort of play happens at least once a game in beer league.  Guys seem to think it's ok to just cut through the crease and run you over like it's a normal hockey play...  

IMO this type of play should be an automatic suspension.  

6 minutes ago, GoalieNut said:

Sorry to see/hear this happened to you.  Hope you are ok.

I've noticed that this sort of play happens at least once a game in beer league.  Guys seem to think it's ok to just cut through the crease and run you over like it's a normal hockey play...  

IMO this type of play should be an automatic suspension.  

Thank you.

He will likely be expelled from the league.  He was already suspended for this last season.  I should hear the results of the decision soon.  

The crew who runs this particular league take safety very seriously because it's a draft league so we have a mix of skill levels from very low to very high, age range 40s-70s. 

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

Thank you.

He will likely be expelled from the league.  He was already suspended for this last season.  I should hear the results of the decision soon.  

The crew who runs this particular league take safety very seriously because it's a draft league so we have a mix of skill levels from very low to very high, age range 40s-70s. 

There should be zero tolerance for this in rec/beer league.  And with so much video as in your case, leagues can't afford to ignore it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Dude's an Anti-kneepadder.

How did I not know this?  That's so ballsy/dumb/impressive/terrifying/brave/keepin' it OG real.  It's all those things.

Oh, wait, I remember it vaguely.  This was how I got flamed for saying I'd play without a goalie jock before I'd play without knee pads.  

(cue the gif of the guy pointing to his head and smiling)

Edited by seagoal

23 minutes ago, seagoal said:

How did I not know this?  That's so ballsy/dumb/impressive/terrifying/brave/keepin' it OG real.  It's all those things.

Oh, wait, I remember it vaguely.  This was how I got flamed for saying I'd play without a goalie jock before I'd play without knee pads.  

(cue the gif of the guy pointing to his head and smiling)

That is straight up lunacy.  I get hit in the nuts plenty.  Knees, never.  I've graduated to sort of a knee pad but its more for comfort landing on the knee block than actually protecting my knees.

6 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

That is straight up lunacy.  I get hit in the nuts plenty.  Knees, never.  I've graduated to sort of a knee pad but its more for comfort landing on the knee block than actually protecting my knees.

I'm opposite.  I get hit in the knees often, cup, not so much. I don't consistently get the tops of my pads meeting flush in the butterfly so my knees are exposed quite often. All my hockey socks have puck marks at the knees.  I wear Warrior Pro + knee pads too, they are bulky and are tanks for taking pucks.  Plus, they're nice and cushy in the landing. 

I wear a regular cup in my shorts under my goalie jock....so I wonder if I take pucks there more than I give myself credit for and I just to realize it?  Who knows. 

Edited by seagoal

4 minutes ago, seagoal said:

I'm opposite.  I get hit in the knees often, cup, not so much. I don't consistently get the tops of my pads meeting flush in the butterfly so my knees are exposed quite often. All my hockey socks have puck marks at the knees.  I wear Warrior Pro + knee pads too, they are bulky and are tanks for taking pucks.  Plus, they're nice and cushy in the landing. 

I wear a regular cup in my shorts under my goalie jock....so I wonder if I take pucks there more than I give myself credit for and I just to realize it?  Who knows. 

Yea see I can get my thigh rises to meet/over lap enough that I never take a puck to the knees 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Yea see I can get my thigh rises to meet/over lap enough that I never take a puck to the knees 🤷‍♂️

My butterfly is on the more narrow end of the spectrum for sure. It's gotten better with my V9 pads though.  They are stiffer and firmer overall and make doing goalie mechanics so damn easy.  I've also been doing a LOT of training and stretching so that I can use RVH on both sides just as easy and comfortably. This has improved my symmetrical butterfly and pad closure a lot.  

• Like 2