Jump to content

Insane Stick Prices


insertnamehere
 Share

Recommended Posts

Is anyone else blown away with how much sticks cost these days?

I've had 2 out of my 3 sticks break recently, so I was shopping around for a replacement and even a low end composite is around $150.

I don't need a top of the line stick anymore (realistically never have), but I was curious what they go for and was shocked to see that a True Catalyst PX is $400, either high end Bauer and Warrior Pro+ lines are $350, and a CCM Axis Pro almost seems like a comparatively good deal at "only" $300. 

Am I just showing some age by seeming to remember that $200 used to be the price point for a high end stick?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I ain't paying no (expletive) $300, or even $200 on a stick.

These days I just use old stock composites (NXG and the like).  I used to get cheap foam cores for practices and didn't care if the broke, because they didn't cost anything.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Shop for previous years models at discounts. 

This is the answer.   Fortunately I've got a stockpile of EF4 and M1 Pro+ sticks from when I worked at Perani's, but going forward there's very little chance I pay full freight for the new hotness.   Pro returns are another option those who are willing to live without a warranty and are willing to live with the fact that they may not be able to get the identical curve the next time they need a stick.   

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RichMan said:

Cheap composite sticks, go to Canadian Tire. Warrior and I think Sher-Wood are the brands, one model of each, 99.99$ and 119.99$ I think. 

Yeah, I hate having to settle for a curve I don't want though. The one by me at least only ever has one option. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had been meaning to ask here anyway, so I’ll put it in this thread in the hopes that a) Someone has tried these, and; B) they could be an affordable alternative.

So - HAS anyone tried these…? The pricing is competitive, and there seems to be more options than the Canadian Tire/Sportcheck entry level. Note: this is not the Christian USA of yesteryear, makers of the Christian Curve; this is a Canadian company owned by the guy who now owns The Hockey News.

https://christianhockey.com/collections/goalie-sticks/products/christian-helium?variant=30140445556787

 

Edited by Lucky Pucker
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pretty much everything is going up in price, not just sticks. Most of the new, big items (pads, catchers, blockers, sticks) are jumping up $20, $30 or $50 US over their previous incarnation. Expect pro CAs to break $600 US and pro sticks to break $300 US. Catalyst PX at the $329 US price point is a sign of things to come.

Edited by ZeroGravitas
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stick prices are almost at the same level as the housing market in Toronto - it's detached from reality. I need really good justification to process the fact that high end sticks are around the same retail price as a catch glove.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, XCVII said:

Stick prices are almost at the same level as the housing market in Toronto - it's detached from reality. I need really good justification to process the fact that high end sticks are around the same retail price as a catch glove.

Especially since that stick is going to snap eventually

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, XCVII said:

Stick prices are almost at the same level as the housing market in Toronto - it's detached from reality. I need really good justification to process the fact that high end sticks are around the same retail price as a catch glove.

Ha! A Lefevre glove is $700 CAD!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/21/2022 at 2:21 PM, Lucky Pucker said:

I had been meaning to ask here anyway, so I’ll put it in this thread in the hopes that a) Someone has tried these, and; B) they could be an affordable alternative.

So - HAS anyone tried these…? The pricing is competitive, and there seems to be more options than the Canadian Tire/Sportcheck entry level. Note: this is not the Christian USA of yesteryear, makers of the Christian Curve; this is a Canadian company owned by the guy who now owns The Hockey News.

https://christianhockey.com/collections/goalie-sticks/products/christian-helium?variant=30140445556787

 

Emailed them to get some info on the helium and no response…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Ah yeah it's just crazy, how it costs. I had 2 CCM Premier 2.5 for at least almost 2 years. 2 games ago the shaft broke on a shot I got on it.
Went to the store and as usual, I cannot find any of these since they've been replaced since but the newer model (more expensive). I finally found in a local proshop where I play 1 stick Premier 1.5 All Black for 129CAD. Meanwhile it'll do the job but I am waiting for a friend who know someone that can have deals on sticks. I'll check with him hoping it's going to work.

The sticks are probably the most lucrative this in a sport store. I'd be curious to know how much it really cost to produce vs the price we pay...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/14/2022 at 3:41 PM, HellCrow said:

Ah yeah it's just crazy, how it costs. I had 2 CCM Premier 2.5 for at least almost 2 years. 2 games ago the shaft broke on a shot I got on it.
Went to the store and as usual, I cannot find any of these since they've been replaced since but the newer model (more expensive). I finally found in a local proshop where I play 1 stick Premier 1.5 All Black for 129CAD. Meanwhile it'll do the job but I am waiting for a friend who know someone that can have deals on sticks. I'll check with him hoping it's going to work.

The sticks are probably the most lucrative this in a sport store. I'd be curious to know how much it really cost to produce vs the price we pay...

My Ps2 lasted a long time as well, they actually didn't break I ended up selling them, same as my Eflex4s, love the Eflex sticks, they are reasonably marked as well if you can find a 4, currently using a 5.

Edited by mr_shifty1982
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

My Ps2 lasted a long time as well, they actually didn't break I ended up selling them, same as my Eflex4s, love the Eflex sticks, they are reasonably marked as well if you cam find a 4, currently using a 5.

That's good to know, I'll aim for these then if they last long !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I complained about the cost and availability in another thread. After striking out a 3 total hockey stores that allegedly sell goalie equipment, I went to Gunzo's and they found one in the basement. It was inexpensive but not a stick I like but no choice so...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...