mask or combo

daffy

I am kinda leaning towards going to a Protechsport masque myself after having another close call with my loose-ish combo. I am going back and forth, frankly.  I love the vision of the combo and love the back of the skull protection. 

However- as cage availability is seemingly dwindling for the HM 30 style and the cheater-style combo cage is seemingly gone for now with the exception of those that don't have the extra to utilise J clips for the newer Mage models, I have to think about that. It seems that those of us in the CWD club are more and more exclusive.

At $335 CAD, the Protechsport is a pretty good deal. The trade-off for the super-low price is the 6 month wait. I keep getting popped in the head. I have shaken off every single head shot, thus far, but the lack of jaw protection does concern me. I tried the iTech-style jaw protection that Kustom Composites built me, but had to remove it due to it getting in the way of my chestie. 

For those of you who have done both the combo and masque: what do you like about the masque? Would you ever go back to a combo? 

I have been in Cooper combo years ago (a lot of years) and would not even consider going back. I prefer mask for its protection and I think, that vision is just a matter of time when you adapt.
Shots to the jaw and forehead was the main reason for me to buy mask.

On 3/18/2017 at 11:19 AM, Ghostender said:

Totally agree with the last comments from Srseive and SBR.

Per Srseive: (from experience) back in the day the original full face mask, sat very close with minimal foam thickness (1/8” – 3/16”) – if you were lucky, you only felt the shots. When the mask flexed too much (which the plastic* and cheap fiberglass ones did) at the wrong point if the foam grabbed your skin, you also risked a tear of the superficial skin layer. Thicker resilient foam goes a long way.

I think it depends on how you wear your mask as well. For my Hackva, the only contact points are my sweat band and my chin sling. My sweatband is thicker than most and I am convinced that he resilience of the sweatband combined with whatever stretching occurs in the sling strap during impact go a long way to cushion the shock.

*My first (ice hockey) mask was a Cooper HM 6, only because the year I started ice hockey, they had just banned the super protective HM 7. If they hadn't, the HM 7 would have been my choice mainly because you could "mold" the plastic in the HM7 to your face by grabbing the edges and rolling them in or out - for that custom fit! That and the fact I had taken a jigsaw to my HM 7 to make it look like Dryden's pretzel mask - so yeah, pretty "cool"

Yes, pretty much what I was getting at.  The thicker head-bands and give in the chin-sling are excellent ways to help absorb the impact.   Historically, the required testing for helmet certification involved drop testing only.   It was mainly to make sure that the shell wouldn't crack.   It did nothing to determine the impact forces to a players head/brain from a puck traveling 80-100 mph.    That may have changed with the focus on concussions, however, I haven't seen anything that confirms this.   I do know that some manufacturers have added additional testing on their own to measure these things, which may lead to further advances in safety.   

Thanks for all the info.  I've enjoyed reading these posts.  I've concluded that to reduce or eliminate the ringing, my mask needs to be fitted properly.  I think that has been the biggest issue for me.  Can't stand the mask down on my eyebrows so I used to push it up.  Didn't work well when hit with a puck.  I'm thinking a Protechsport custom fitted.  I guess if it is fitted to my head, it would fit well and in theory reduce the ringing.  I'm just wondering about foam.  I was thinking Maltese foam but if Michel is padding the mask to my head, it wouldn't make sense to replace it right?  

I was hoping to go with a combo, helmet and Itech rbe cage, but if Shawn isn't available to do that, then Protechsport would be my next option.

10 hours ago, daffy said:

Thanks for all the info.  I've enjoyed reading these posts.  I've concluded that to reduce or eliminate the ringing, my mask needs to be fitted properly.  I think that has been the biggest issue for me.  Can't stand the mask down on my eyebrows so I used to push it up.  Didn't work well when hit with a puck.  I'm thinking a Protechsport custom fitted.  I guess if it is fitted to my head, it would fit well and in theory reduce the ringing.  I'm just wondering about foam.  I was thinking Maltese foam but if Michel is padding the mask to my head, it wouldn't make sense to replace it right?  

I was hoping to go with a combo, helmet and Itech rbe cage, but if Shawn isn't available to do that, then Protechsport would be my next option.

Tighten your harness!  There shouldn't be enough play in the mask for it to fall down on your face like that.  

Oh the harness was as tight as it could go. I just don't like anything touching my forehead. That's why I liked the Mage, bigger window that way. I guess if it is fitted to my head it would be more comfortable. Still not sure which way to go....

2 hours ago, daffy said:

Oh the harness was as tight as it could go. I just don't like anything touching my forehead. That's why I liked the Mage, bigger window that way. I guess if it is fitted to my head it would be more comfortable. Still not sure which way to go....

I always felt the Mage was front heavy, as it always crept down onto my forehead. I liked the vision, but it was very hard for me to use. 

19 hours ago, daffy said:

Get a nice thick sweat band so the mask isn't actually touching your forehead. 

Archived