Socks Vs Sockless

TheGoalNet

Socks   

56 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wear socks?

• Yes
    • No

No socks...barefoot since age 12. Just feels better; nothing more than personal preference. However, you will lose popularity with family. After a particularly busy game, took the then girlfriend/now wife to her home and she let me stash the gear in her parents' basement. My beloved mother in law got up the next morning and freaked out thinking that their house's sewer drain backed up into the basement. The source: my skates. Stuff of life. :headbang:

Regular ankle cut white socks from walmart. When skating out, knee high white socks from walmart. Grew up playing outdoors (Michigan) and have always been used to wearing a thicker sock so have stuck with it. I did go through a phase and tried sockless (hated it), on to the thin socks and again, hated it. So went back to what I knew and liked. Been thinking about getting some of those cut resistant ones because they would go above the short socks and I'd have some protection. Heat is a major concern though, so they may not last.

1 hour ago, loki1416 said:

Regular ankle cut white socks from walmart. When skating out, knee high white socks from walmart. Grew up playing outdoors (Michigan) and have always been used to wearing a thicker sock so have stuck with it. I did go through a phase and tried sockless (hated it), on to the thin socks and again, hated it. So went back to what I knew and liked. Been thinking about getting some of those cut resistant ones because they would go above the short socks and I'd have some protection. Heat is a major concern though, so they may not last.

Walmart? Yuck! LOL

• 2 years later...

Revisiting this.  Got new skates, not sure how well the liner will hold up to my "military grade" boot socks(jokingly) as it is already showing some abrasion wear and I haven't even gotten them on the ice yet, just wearing around the house to help break them in.  What are some of today's popular compression skate socks?  Doesn't have to be cut proof but I would prefer to try some form of compression sock.  Calf height is a plus but knee is ok too I guess as I am seeing that is what most tend to be.

Looking on Goalie Monkey they have the socks that @Chenner29 mentioned earlier in this thread, which I like because they're the 37.5 material that everyone raves about.  They're on clearance for nice and cheap but unfortunately they are only small and extra small sizes.  

11 minutes ago, dreadlocked1 said:

This is what i've been using the past several years and have been happy with them.  Not too thin or thick.  Took a while to settle on these after trying other brands/styles.  In a large, at 5'6 I can get these over the calf to the bottom of my knee.  Sealed in with my gforms.

https://www.goaliemonkey.com/catalog/product/view/id/391110

Screenshot_2020-03-07-11-55-39.png

Thanks for checking in!  I saw those on GM as well.  Which ones did you try before you settled on these?

This is over 4 to 6 years ago, but a much thinner, and a thicker, Bauer socks as well as a Under Armour and your basic calf-high white socks. Total over the last 11 years.  These Bauers have lasted a long time over the past 4-6 years, I'm only on my 2nd or 3rd pair.

46 minutes ago, dreadlocked1 said:

This is over 4 to 6 years ago, but a much thinner, and a thicker, Bauer socks as well as a Under Armour and your basic calf-high white socks. Total over the last 11 years.  These Bauers have lasted a long time over the past 4-6 years, I'm only on my 2nd or 3rd pair.

Ok thanks

2 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

That first link - I think that’s what I have actually. My wife bought them for me in a 3-pk at the UA outlet. I’ve loved them! 

On 3/7/2020 at 12:20 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Revisiting this.  Got new skates, not sure how well the liner will hold up to my "military grade" boot socks(jokingly) as it is already showing some abrasion wear and I haven't even gotten them on the ice yet, just wearing around the house to help break them in.  What are some of today's popular compression skate socks?  Doesn't have to be cut proof but I would prefer to try some form of compression sock.  Calf height is a plus but knee is ok too I guess as I am seeing that is what most tend to be.

Looking on Goalie Monkey they have the socks that @Chenner29 mentioned earlier in this thread, which I like because they're the 37.5 material that everyone raves about.  They're on clearance for nice and cheap but unfortunately they are only small and extra small sizes.  

I got this Elite cut resistant socks from Sport Chek. Definitely recommend them. They are also cool to the touch which is also nice.

https://www.sportchek.ca/product/elite-hockey-pro-cut-protection-sock-silver-grey-332628313.html?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI48_AsrOL6AIVD18NCh0WWgDuEAQYASABEgJ7l_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#332628313=332628319Elite_Hockey_Pro_Cut_Resistant_Skate_Soc

On 3/9/2020 at 6:35 PM, holdUP said:

I use the Elite brand socks as well. The foot on them is a little on the thicker side to be honest, but I like having the cut resistant part covering my entire calf. 

I've found that I like a thicker sock since it also takes up more room in the skate to get a nice, snug feel. I don't rely on a sock to make my skates fit, but it has had that extra benefit for me. Haven't used a thin sock in years due to that.

Archived