Vaughn Greens - nylon vs. jenpro

seagoal

Hey guys, I wanted to pitch this to you all since I am not that familiar with Vaughn greens for their custom orders.

My buddy ordered a custom set of gloves and pads to match his team, which uses Dallas Stars jerseys and their colors are green, black, and antique gold.  So the green is like regular, crayon green or Starbucks green, Kelly Green, etc. He got the pads first and they came out great.  He got the mitts a few weeks later and the nylon on the back of the catch glove is green but it clashes with the main green of the gear. 

He ordered through GoalieMonkey, and one unfortunate detail is that on the GM customizer they have their 2 greens as "Green" and "Dark Green" but on Vaughn's customizer it is "Kelly Green" and "Forest Green"

Here is GM's 2 greens

Green

249064557_Screenshot_20220228-094452_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.8f81235503217d7d56e147cb2893fb60.jpg

Dark Green

837538431_Screenshot_20220228-094616_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.8142f661798f3531508b3c29627211bd.jpg

And here is Kelly Green and Forest Green alternating on Vaughn's customizer

1025634726_Screenshot_20220228-094845_SamsungInternet.jpg.c8136396b0b2de02b88c41d8ffac0724.jpg

1241685354_Screenshot_20220228-094938_SamsungInternet.jpg.1626f0025c3e5c5eb2b1ff757e327a2d.jpg

Here is my buddy's gear 

8537.thumb.jpg.b4759a7904600f15e632786e4689b81f.jpg

8539.thumb.jpg.8a755238ad7807701472e888b9c7be8a.jpg

8536.thumb.jpg.f95c2a7a438182f5021bf46e5d84c031.jpg

8548.thumb.jpg.1dd953c332c74c0c829062c6e01898dc.jpg

8549.thumb.jpg.82d064b634aadfc89080875c07f12442.jpg

You can see the green nylon under the velcro tabs on the catcher are off and clash with the jenpro.  

The confusing thing he ordered "Green" on GM's customizer, which means the lighter, crayon/Starbucks/Kelly green.  But the nylon is lighter than the rest of the gear, implying that the nylon is "Green" and the rest of the gear is "Dark Green" or "Forest Green."  I suppose it is possible that he received "Green" for each material but it just doesn't translate as a match on the jenpro vs. nylon.  The more I look at this, the more this seems like the case: Vaughn's Green/Kelly Green just doesn't translate across materials very well. 

Anyway, what do you guys think?  Can you help make sense of this?   

Vaughn has told him that they can not simply change out those 2 nylon sections and that fixing this would require starting over, which is difficult to believe since these sections are just within the outer backhand and can be accessed from many different angles. He's waiting to hear back from GM to see what they say. 

Edited by seagoal

8 minutes ago, ArdeFIN said:

I could change those green nylon patches without a massive project and I'm only hobbying in my garage 🤔

And still the pads are made with different/right shade of green nylon? What a customer service and it's custom...

But you're all the way in Finland........so sad.   You could run a small business repairing and modifying goalie gear if you lived in North America, 100%.

Good question: the nylons on the pads are black or gray so there is no issue on those.  Only the glove has green nylon.

• Like 1

Does he have copy of the order sheets?

I had this issue with my Warrior RGT1 pads a couple years ago. Warrior offers only one green - Kelly Green (besides a neon green). But their "Kelly Green" nylon does not match their "Kelly Green" jenpro. But it sounds like the green nylon on the pads is matching the green jenpro on the pads?

20171231_121205.thumb.jpg.a7aefd5b040697fdef4f9280bd897b6b.jpg

If your friend submitted the order using the Goalie Monkey customizer, it is possibly that Monkey mis-entered the customizer information from theirs into the Vaughn customizer. I have heard of that happening before.

EDIT: Just saw that you said that there was no green nylon on the pads. So it could just be the material colors itself. Did Vaughn confirm which colors are used on gear? They see enough gear that they can probably visually confirm that colors are Kelly or Forest.

Edited by ZeroGravitas
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, seagoal said:

But you're all the way in Finland........so sad.   You could run a small business repairing and modifying goalie gear if you lived in North America, 100%.

Good question: the nylons on the pads are black or gray so there is no issue on those.  Only the glove has green nylon.

Just mentioned it to give a reference against Vaughn having to start it all over. They just don't want to do it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ArdeFIN said:

Just mentioned it to give a reference against Vaughn having to start it all over. They just don't want to do it.

You were the first person I thought of when my buddy told me that.  You could perform this surgery on that backhand and switch out the nylon on and put it back together in not time and it'd look amazing.  I just made sure my buddy knows you exist........shipping to Finland can't be THAT expensive.....haha.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Does he have copy of the order sheets?

I had this issue with my Warrior RGT1 pads a couple years ago. Warrior offers only one green (besides a neon green). But the "Kelly Green" nylon does not match the "Kelly Green" jenpro. But it sounds like the green nylon on the pads is matching the green jenpro on the pads?

20171231_121205.thumb.jpg.a7aefd5b040697fdef4f9280bd897b6b.jpg

If your friend submitted the order using the Goalie Monkey customizer, it is possibly that Monkey mis-entered the customizer information from theirs into the Vaughn customizer. I have heard of that happening before.

EDIT: Just saw that you said that there was no green nylon on the pads. So it could just be the material colors itself. Did Vaughn confirm which colors are used on gear? They see enough gear that they can probably visually confirm that colors are Kelly or Forest.

Wow, this is an exact replica of the situation.  Thanks for posting this (sorry it happened to you, though).

Yeah, I've seen his order sheet and the receipt: it's legit all "Green" and definitely not "Dark Green"

Your Warrior pic helps confirm for me he in fact got what he ordered and there is no "mistake" here, it's just the color does not translate well across materials.

Edited by seagoal

14 minutes ago, seagoal said:

You were the first person I thought of when my buddy told me that.  You could perform this surgery on that backhand and switch out the nylon on and put it back together in not time and it'd look amazing.  I just made sure my buddy knows you exist........shipping to Finland can't be THAT expensive.....haha.

Thanks. But for sure you have capable gear fixers over there too, Dennis/FMAD and Sarah/PAW, Simmons, and many other that were not mentioned. Some of them could fix this too, and you could dismantle the backhand piece out of the glove and not having to ship out the whole glove. Though atleast FMAD could do some prepping for the glove at the same visit.

For the color, if the right shade of green is not available then get it with black nylon or maybe the right green jenpro?

Edited by ArdeFIN

Nothing is worse than getting your new custom gear and not being happy with it. I feel your pain. I have had some botched orders in the past.

I think this "issue" though is just standard for hockey. The nylon and jerpros are made from different materials, have different textures, etc and it's pretty common for the materials to have slightly different shades or hues.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ArdeFIN said:

Thanks. But for sure you have capable gear fixers over there too, Dennis/FMAD and Sarah/PAW, Simmons, and many other that were not mentioned. Some of them could fix this too, and you could dismantle the backhand piece out of the glove and not having to ship out the whole glove. Though atleast FMAD could do some prepping for the glove at the same visit.

For the color, if the right shade of green is not available then get it with black nylon or maybe the right green jenpro?

Yeah, his goal is to get this nylon piece in black and call it a day.  The angle he is taking with the retailer is : I acknowledge there was no mistake, but, your customizer does not accurately reflect the color of the materials in real life and if they had I would not have chosen this color.

Which is completely fair and reasonable.

1 minute ago, TheGoalNet said:

Nothing is worse than getting your new custom gear and not being happy with it. I feel your pain. I have had some botched orders in the past.

I think this "issue" though is just standard for hockey. The nylon and jerpros are made from different materials, have different textures, etc and it's pretty common for the materials to have slightly different shades or hues.

Exactly.  This is very obvious given the jenpro and nylon being side by side directly.

• 1 month later...

I forgot to post an update to this thread: the retailer took my buddy's glove back and put in a rush order with Vaughn for a brand new one, free of charge, which he received in about 2 weeks.  

Here is the new glove with darker green nylon rather than the lighter kelly green

8686.jpg

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, seagoal said:

I forgot to post an update to this thread: the retailer took my buddy's glove back and put in a rush order with Vaughn for a brand new one, free of charge, which he received in about 2 weeks.  

Here is the new glove with darker green nylon rather than the lighter kelly green

Definitely not as jarring as the original, but it would still bother me. I've learned my lesson with regards to ordering green.

Hopefully your buddy is happy, though!

Edited by ZeroGravitas
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Definitely not as jarring as the original, but it would still bother me. I've learned my lesson with regards to ordering green.

Hopefully your buddy is happy, though!

For sure, it's not perfect, but it's less bad than the more bad, ha.  He loves it and he is really glad he went through with the reorder.  Definitely a learning experience for me too...I had no idea greens were such a problem with gear.   I've had sport gold, black, white, navy blue, baby blue, and red for my gear throughout my life and I have not seen issues with matching like this with the greens. 

When I got my set many moons ago, I wanted teal nylon to match the jenpro. No retailer had it anywhere, I played with the idea of Kelly green or black, but it did not look right at all. Had to settle with white and I despise white on pads, where avoidable.

So I can understand your mates frustration with the clashing of greens! 

Side note; I dig his set, I see very little white! Yay!