Future Retired Numbers

The Teal Terror

On 3/1/2022 at 3:39 PM, ThatCarGuy said:

I think the reason they haven’t retired #20 is the same reason Turco is the “local” face of the stars for goalies off the ice 😉

image.jpeg.8b3e727c091d76a642a5e11ece7dbc2e.jpeg
Seriously though Turco’s face is on everything down here

image.thumb.png.f57ed2322a4299fabc10552f8dd19a4b.png
Interesting to note as well that Kari Lehtonen was in net at the stars alumni classic instead of the usual Turco

Seeing Turco just reminds me of names like DiPietro!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

32 Quick  No, HOF MAYBE, but not worthy of having his number retired

29 Fleury   No, as mentioned above his most noteworthy success came in Vegas.  They could retire his number (and should) but doing so would dig back up the ugly way they ran him out of town. 

88 Vasilevski   Hard to argue that with back to back Cup championships he's not deserving.   A 3rd Cup would make it a lead-pipe lock.

31 Shesterkin (at this rate)  Way to early.   Could be the next Jim Carey.

36 Gibson   O.......K.......   I suppose maybe on the Ducks, but he wouldn't be considered on a team with more history.

31 Price    Pretty good chance this happens.

And for the love of god put cujo in the hall of fame.   Yes!   The dude was fantastic everywhere he played other than Detroit, and that was just a terrible fit.   Not his fault at all. 

I’m with you on all of that, except Fleury, I think Pittsburgh will retire his 29.

• Like 1

The local college hockey team had one number retired, except when they had to un-retire it because a few jerseys got worn out. I think it was played for half a season until a few fans made a stink (as the person whose number was retired died tragically). Weird story, for certain. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Teal Terror said:

I’m with you on all of that, except Fleury, I think Pittsburgh will retire his 29.

Is Barrasso's 35 retired? Going to be hard to press for MAF's number.

In fact, the Penguins are pretty stingy retiring numbers they only have #66 and #21 for Michel Briere. They do have a ring of honor that all these dudes will surely be part of.

Jagr? No. Maybe only Crosby with how the Pens do it. Malkin? Nope.

Edited by MTH

On 3/1/2022 at 12:43 PM, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

31 Price

And for the love of god put cujo in the hall of fame.

I can't see Price's number being anywhere near retired. The Habs bar is way high. They really didn't retire many numbers until this century. Jacques Plante's #1 wasn't retired until 1995! He only won 6 cups and 7 Vezinas. They waited decades to retire his number?

Look how many cups the recent retired numbers have.

12 - Dickie Moore. Retired his number in 2005. 6 cups, scoring titles, toughest bastid that played.

12 - Yvan Cournoyer. 2005. TEN cups. Yes, 10.

5 - Bernie Geoffrion. 2006. 6 cups, etc.

18 - Serge Savard. 2006. 8 cups in 16 seasons. GM from 83-1995

29 - Ken Dryden. 2007. 

19 - Larry Robinson. 2007.

23 - Bob Gainey. 2008. Five cups, Selkes, Conn Smythe..GM

33 - Roy. 2008

5 - Guy Lapoint. 2014. 6 cups again. 

They haven't retired other bums like Toe Blake, Chelios, Mahovlich or even George Vezina's number yet.

Price? Good luck with that.

23 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

32 Quick  No, HOF MAYBE, but not worthy of having his number retired

29 Fleury   No, as mentioned above his most noteworthy success came in Vegas.  They could retire his number (and should) but doing so would dig back up the ugly way they ran him out of town. 

88 Vasilevski   Hard to argue that with back to back Cup championships he's not deserving.   A 3rd Cup would make it a lead-pipe lock.

31 Shesterkin (at this rate)  Way to early.   Could be the next Jim Carey.

36 Gibson   O.......K.......   I suppose maybe on the Ducks, but he wouldn't be considered on a team with more history.

31 Price    Pretty good chance this happens.

And for the love of god put cujo in the hall of fame.   Yes!   The dude was fantastic everywhere he played other than Detroit, and that was just a terrible fit.   Not his fault at all. 

Not to come off as heated… and I’m a huge Quick fan,

How the fuck can you make the hall of fame and not have your number retired? 

39 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

There are 417 in the HHOF. over half don't have their numbers retired.

45 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

7 minutes ago, MTH said:

Specific examples include Gump Worsley, Rogie Vachon, Ed Belfour and some bum named Georges Vezina.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MTH said:

To reiterate MTH here.

HHOF: Contributions to Hockey as a whole

Retired Number: Exceptional notable player for a specific franchise.

There are plenty of players that are in the HHOF without their numbers retired and Vice Versa.

Trevor Linden and Stan Smyl are two numbers that the Canucks have retired but wouldn't even be considered a long shot ballot in a slow inductee year for the HHOF.

Just because you manage to accomplish one, doesn't mean the other is a sure thing.

It's a great discussion.

I can see in future generations of NHL hockey that the retired number will be less a thing. Current players move around so much. Look at Recchi, Andreychuk and Pronger. You could say that they had teams that they did more with, but a good three years for a team usually doesn't constitute a retired number for that team.

Then again, teams do what they want. Beauty of it all I guess.

I thought the way that Toronto did it for a long time was cool. Honor the number but keep it in use. Then maybe only allow players of a certain level wear the honored number. Similar to how Notre Dame allows only the captains to wear single digit numbers for football.

Apologies for the block of text. After doing some quick research, out of the current goalies-including recent retirees-I'd say any of these are possible:

Rask 40 BOS--most goalie games played and wins, entire career in BOS

Miller 30 BUF--most goalie games played and wins, majority of career in BUF

Ward 30 CAR--most goalie games played and wins, Conn Smythe, entire career in CAR minus 33 games in CHI

Crawford 50 CHI--3rd most goalie games played and wins, 2 Cups, entire career in CHI (no, the preseason in NJ doesn't count)

Quick 32 LA--most goalie games played and wins, 2 Cups, Conn Smythe, entire career in LA

Carey Price 31 MTL--most goalie games played and wins, entire career in MTL

Anderson 41 OTT--most goalie games played and wins, majority of career in OTT

Fleury 29 PIT--most goalie games played and wins, 3 Cups, 13 seasons in PIT

Vasilevskiy 88 TB--most goalie games played and wins, 2 Cups and counting

Luongo 1 VAN--2nd most goalie games played, 1st in wins, Honor McLean as well--1st GP, 2nd wins

Fleury 29 VGK--most goalie games played and wins, face of the franchise for 4 years

Holtby 70 WSH--2nd most goalie games played and wins (both behind Kolzig), Cup winner, majority of career in WSH

Hellebuyck 37 WPG--most goalie games played and wins--re-retire number 37 in the Atlanta/Winnipeg franchise for Dan Snyder

If I had to bet money on which of the above get their numbers retired at some point I'd bet on Rask, Ward, Crawford, Quick, Vasi.

1 hour ago, MTH said:

It's a great discussion.

I can see in future generations of NHL hockey that the retired number will be less a thing. Current players move around so much. Look at Recchi, Andreychuk and Pronger. You could say that they had teams that they did more with, but a good three years for a team usually doesn't constitute a retired number for that team.

Then again, teams do what they want. Beauty of it all I guess.

I thought the way that Toronto did it for a long time was cool. Honor the number but keep it in use. Then maybe only allow players of a certain level wear the honored number. Similar to how Notre Dame allows only the captains to wear single digit numbers for football.

Some of Toronto’s traditions came from Harold Ballard’s, er, um, frugal nature LOL

1 hour ago, MTH said:

Honor the number but keep it in use.

I feel like this is the most practical way to do things. 
Consider professional sports have only been a thing for 150 years or so. Imagine if we still have professional sports in two to three hundred years (If humanity still exists by then provided we don’t blow ourselves up 🤯). We will start running out of numbers for players to use if we retire them. 
Of course, we could start using triple digits or Roman numerals. Or this, “Starting at center, number 2b, John Anderson.” 🙃

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, MTH said:

19 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

Specific examples include Gump Worsley, Rogie Vachon, Ed Belfour and some bum named Georges Vezina.

I see your points, but Quick has almost all of LA’s goalie records and was the main piece for their two cups. Vezina played so long ago I don’t know if they even retired numbers back then. Belfour has had some off the ice issues so maybe teams don’t want to recognize him. I just think a lot of guys aren’t retired for a certain reason especially if they are in the hall. Someone like Quick who spent his entire career with one team has a strong case for both.

2 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

I see your points, but Quick has almost all of LA’s goalie records and was the main piece for their two cups. Vezina played so long ago I don’t know if they even retired numbers back then. Belfour has had some off the ice issues so maybe teams don’t want to recognize him. I just think a lot of guys aren’t retired for a certain reason especially if they are in the hall. Someone like Quick who spent his entire career with one team has a strong case for both.

We'll have to agree to disagree.   He's your favorite player and I don't expect you to change your mind, but IMHO, there are two objective factors working against Quick and one that's just my opinion:  1.  He was a fairly mercurial goalie, prone to running hot and cold.  Granted, he was overall better than average, but last year he was so dreadful that he came into this season as the backup for Peterson and the Kings were considering trading a high round pick to dump his salary.   2.  Teams  in general are going away from retiring numbers in favor of "honoring" them.   Finally, IMHO, while one of my favorite players to watch play, Quick was not in the same tier of player as Lundquist and Rinne who's numbers were recently retired, nor was he a top 3 goalie in the league most years.      I hope you're right and I'm wrong on this one, but I feel like he just misses the cut. 

• Like 1

Wondering if Georges Vezina even wore a number. I assume back then, all goalies were given #1. Not like he picked out a number like goalies have for the past 70 years.

Georges Vezina was ironman goalie for the Canadiens - YouTube

Far right - is that Wayne's great great grandfather?

Wayne Optimize | Letterkenny, Letterkenny quotes, Response memes